Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How to transfer iPhone contacts to my iMac?

How to transfer iPhone contacts to my iMac?
jamievenna
Banned
Dec 13, 2011, 09:17 AM

Hello!
Recently I have trouble with my new iMac and iPhone. I can successfully sync the music files from my iPhone to Mac. The question is that my contacts that are still on the iPhone - How do I get these into my Address Book on the iMac? Do you have any ideas??
Help pls!!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 13, 2011, 12:38 PM

If you're running Lion 10.7.2 on the Mac and iOS 5 on the iPhone (which you should be if they're both new), set up an iCloud account on both of them and turn Contact syncing on.

That's it.

Kensington
Dec 13, 2011, 08:53 PM

My curiosity has gotten the best of me....what the hell did this "fresh-faced recruit" get banned for? Am I missing something here?!?! They have only made two posts! If there was some content that they posted that was un worthy of the forums and was deleted as a result perhaps all of their threads should be deleted so there is no trace of them existing. If this person was believed to be a spammer than this thread is no better than the ones that were deleted.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 14, 2011, 03:25 AM

This thread contains helpful information for those who google-search for a solution to their problem, or who search the forum.

That doesn't change even if it turns out that the original poster was part of a tag team soliciting spam software recommendations, or that he was using a spam link in his signature.

P
Dec 14, 2011, 04:39 AM

Kensington,

The user was banned for being a spammer. The most common forum spam these days is a team of two or sometimes even more new users, one posting a question and the other coming up with an answer with a spam link a little later. We can see them coming in from the same IP. We call this "thing one" and "thing two", and once the spam arrives, we ban both and usually delete both as well. In this case, we elected to leave the question up because it got some good answers.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

maxwill
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2011, 06:04 AM

have you tried importing the contacts form the phone to google contacts then syncing then exporting them from there to a file on the computer then importing that into the address book
or you can also go through the info page in itunes for your phone and sync contacts from the phone to the computer that way by checking the box that says sync contact to then select address book
There is a step by step instruction on How to transfer iPhone contacts to my iMac.

Hope it can do you a favor.
( Last edited by maxwill; Dec 19, 2011 at 12:14 AM. )

Curiosity
Senior User
Dec 17, 2011, 01:05 AM

I have synced my ipod contacts through iTunes to the Mac address book. Since the iPod uses iOS just as the iPhone does, that should also work for an iPhone.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 17, 2011, 09:19 AM

It is kind of important to make sure iTunes is set to sync contacts with your iPad too... This is not always the default.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 17, 2011, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
It is kind of important to make sure iTunes is set to sync contacts with your iPad too... This is not always the default.
If you're using iCloud, this will duplicate all your contacts on the iOS device.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 17, 2011, 09:33 AM

...only if you select to use iCloud to sync contacts and leave it that way while still syncing to your Mac. If you only sync by cable or WiFi to your Mac, this shouldn't be an issue.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

John Clark
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2012, 01:28 PM

So I am having the same issue. The few contacts I had backed up on my iMac from my old iPhone were transferred to my new iPhone with the sync, however, non of my new contacts that I have entered into my new iPhone manually are syncing to my iMacs address book. Its like a one way street where all the info goes to the phone but no info makes its way to the iMac address book.

Forum Links
Forum Rules