Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > CES: Pioneer to add new CarPlay-compatible dash systems

CES: Pioneer to add new CarPlay-compatible dash systems
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jan 6, 2016, 05:30 PM

On Wednesday, Pioneer announced a new series of NEX dash systems that will expand options for automobile owners that want to add CarPlay- or Android Auto-compatible aftermarket systems to their vehicles. The news comes on top of numerous CarPlay compatibility announcements by big-name automakers, though there are still a number of companies that have not yet committed to offering either of the two smartphone-based infotainment systems.

Pioneer's new entries include the AVIC-5200NEX and AVIC-6200NEX, which use 6.2-inch resistive touchscreens, and three models with seven-inch touchscreens: the AVH-4200NEX, the AVIC-7200NEX, and the AVIC-8200NEX. Only the latter three models will include support for Android Auto, and only the top-tier 8200NEX will use a capacitive touchscreen (the technology used for nearly all smartphones and tablets). Prices and release dates for the systems have not yet been revealed.

pottymouth
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 7, 2016, 11:13 AM

I have the 4000NEX and I have to say that the Pioneer/CarPlay experience has been very disappointing. I bought the unit (almost $700...ugh) after CarPlay support was announced, but before the CarPlay compatible firmware was released. When the firmware finally came out (much later than originally claimed) it was limited to only a few Apple Apps and Pandora. Since I have no other experience with CarPlay compatible head units, maybe that's just how it is. I thought maybe more features would come with the iOS 8 update/iPhone 6, but the Pioneer firmware was completely incompatible with iOS 8 (and therefore the iPhone 6). Pioneer didn't release their iOS 8 compatible firmware update for a couple more months after Apple's iOS 8 release. Even then, and to this day, it just doesn't seem useful. Startup takes ages, browsing my tens of thousands of tracks in iTunes is slow, I don't use Pandora, I prefer Waze for nav...blah blah blah.

So, I just connect my iPhone via the normal bluetooth audio connection and it works great. I've got it mounted directly over my rearview mirror for Waze nav and it will briefly mute whatever audio I'm listening to if I've got alerts turned on. I've got a button on my steering wheel to poke Siri so I can tell her what I want to hear. I can also tell her to send/read texts or make calls. In fact, ANY audio source I can play on my phone will play through the HU via bluetooth. And if I've got passengers, it's way easier for them to take over the bluetooth audio control than it would be to swap a CarPlay device, which must be connected to the one CarPlay dedicated USB input.

I haven't even bothered to try the AirPlay feature recently; maybe things have changed? I see Pioneer released another firmware update in December, but honestly, I am struggling to even give a damn. I think I'm over CarPlay. Has anybody out there had a positive experience?

Forum Links
Forum Rules