Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Barry compares oil spill to 9/11

Barry compares oil spill to 9/11
Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2010, 12:02 PM

What a knobhead.

Discuss.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2010, 12:16 PM

So like he feels he got caught with his pants down? He sat around and did nothing for over a week. Not a leadership model. Barry likens himself to Lincoln. Hes just an ideologue.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2010, 12:18 PM

Oh teh noes. We gots attacked by the Brits ?

-t

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2010, 12:26 PM

It's just like 9/11, the explosion was an inside job. Rhambo said 'never waste a good crisis" (especially a manufactured one)
45/47

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2010, 01:20 PM

You guys know who I hate? Barrack Obama.

Who's with me? Anyone?

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

andi*pandi
Jun 14, 2010, 01:22 PM

I hope it won't take 10 years to clean up the gulf.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2010, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
At an absolute minimum.

The way the f*cking morons from BP and the government act, it will take much longer.

-t

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2010, 05:49 PM

Linky?

EDIT: Found one.

Originally Posted by Barack Obama
In the same way that our view of our vulnerabilities and our foreign policy was shaped profoundly by 9/11, I think this disaster is going to shape how we think about the environment and energy for many years to come.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2010, 05:57 PM

Next up: invade Britain. Fight them over there so we don't have to fight them here.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2010, 09:58 PM

Or make up excuses for them and blame ourselves.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2010, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Barack Obama
In the same way that our view of our vulnerabilities and our foreign policy was shaped profoundly by 9/11, I think this disaster is going to shape how we think about the environment and energy for many years to come.
That makes complete sense. No wonder it bothered Doofy.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2010, 03:37 AM

BP oil platform disaster, Obama's 9/11

Just think about it.

http://forums.macnn.com/95/political...2/#post3966461
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2010, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
That makes complete sense. No wonder it bothered Doofy.
Doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I'm delighted that Barry is showing himself to be almost as much of a turd as you are, mckenna.

I hear it's bothering the 9/11 relatives though. That's something you can feel good about.

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2010, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
It'll take as long as Barry wants it to take.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2010, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I'm delighted that Barry is showing himself to be almost as much of a turd as you are, mckenna.

I hear it's bothering the 9/11 relatives though. That's something you can feel good about.
So is this thread just an exercise in trolling for you?

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2010, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
So is this thread just an exercise in trolling for you?
This thread is about Barry's recent comments. Why are you and mckenna making it about me? Is that the best defence you can come up with for dear leader's comments or something?

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2010, 08:28 AM

This thread is about Barry's recent comments. Why are you and mckenna making it about me? Is that the best defence you can come up with for dear leader's comments or something?
Okay. I'll refer you to the actual quotation, which you neglected to include in your original post, which lpkmckenna supplied. The quotation seems pretty straight-forward to me. Nothing really controversial about it at all. But instead of engaging the new information that lpkmckenna provided, you called him a turd-smileyface. From your actions in this thread, it doesn't seem like you actually want to engage the topic, so I assume you are simply trolling. Why don't you tell us why you think the actual quotation is controversial?

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2010, 08:40 AM

Okay. I'll refer you to the actual quotation, which you neglected to include in your original post, which lpkmckenna supplied. The quotation seems pretty straight-forward to me. Nothing really controversial about it at all. But instead of engaging the new information that lpkmckenna provided, you called him a turd-smileyface. From your actions in this thread, it doesn't seem like you actually want to engage the topic, so I assume you are simply trolling. Why don't you tell us why you think the actual quotation is controversial?
I have no opinion on the topic. I was wanting to see what you boys made of it and how your answers correlate with the controversy it's generating in the press. I didn't include the quote because I wanted you to go look for it yourselves and observe said controversy.

But no, both of you start with the attacks. Good show.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2010, 08:42 AM

I have no opinion on the topic. I was wanting to see what you boys made of it and how your answers correlate with the controversy it's generating in the press. I didn't include the quote because I wanted you to go look for it yourselves and observe said controversy.

But no, both of you start with the attacks. Good show.
Yes, I'm attacking you for pointing out that you made attacks and have contributed nothing to the topic. It's totally my fault.

By the way, maybe you want to brush up on your Political Lounge rules:

Eighth rule of the Political Lounge: No posting and running. Cutting and pasting of long articles with only a brief comment is not allowed. Please provide a link to the article (with a summary and/or excerpts if you so desire) and then give your opinion.

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2010, 08:48 AM

Yes, I'm attacking you for pointing out that you made attacks and have contributed nothing to the topic. It's totally my fault.
I made no attacks. I made a defence when I was attacked by the turd.

And you're still attacking, rather than discussing the thread topic. Got nuthin' then?

By the way, maybe you want to brush up on your Political Lounge rules:
Maybe that rule is a shit rule.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2010, 08:49 AM

I made no attacks. I made a defence when I was attacked by the turd.
Considering you opened the thread with, simply, "What a knobhead" I think you set the standard of debate for yourself. I think calling someone a "turd" is a bit of an overreaction to someone posting the actual material and noting how uncontroversial it is. I don't want to speak for lpmckenna, but I think his statement about you fits the bill because you didn't even bother to supply the material yourself, so what are we to think about your comprehension?

And you're still attacking, rather than discussing the thread topic. Got nuthin' then?
I already addressed the topic. I think Obama's statement is unambiguous and uncontroversial. I await your response.

Maybe that rule is a shit rule.
That may be, but you have to expect people to call you out on the rules that are in play, and not whine about being "attacked." The rules are the same for everybody. It's not a personal attack.

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2010, 09:07 AM

Considering you opened the thread with, simply, "What a knobhead" I think you set the standard of debate for yourself.
It's my thread. I'll set the stage how I see fit, thanks.

I think calling someone a "turd" is a bit of an overreaction to someone posting the actual material and noting how uncontroversial it is.
No, mckenna gets called a turd because he is, in fact, a turd... ...who does nothing here but snipe at people. Go check his post history.

Now, he could have just as easily have said "That makes complete sense" and left it there, but no, he has to add "No wonder it bothered Doofy" to it because he's incapable of commenting or giving opinion without sniping at people. This is what makes mckenna, and your side of the political divide in general, a turd.

I don't want to speak for lpmckenna, but I think his statement about you fits the bill
Why? Am I in some way bothered? Where's your evidence for this?

because you didn't even bother to supply the material yourself, so what are we to think about your comprehension?
I've just told you why I didn't supply the material myself. Something wrong with your comprehension skills?

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2010, 09:16 AM

It's my thread. I'll set the stage how I see fit, thanks.
Then don't complain if someone responds in kind.

No, mckenna gets called a turd because he is, in fact, a turd... ...who does nothing here but snipe at people. Go check his post history.
Maybe you are right about his history. But it appears irrelevant to an outside observer.

Why? Am I in some way bothered? Where's your evidence for this?
I don't know what you mean by selecting that part of my sentence and responding with this.

I've just told you why I didn't supply the material myself. Something wrong with your comprehension skills?
Yes, I know that now. You wanted to push our buttons (most would call this trolling). I was explaining why lpkmckenna's response made sense to me before I had that context. It still makes sense to me because you haven't yet shown any interest in actually engaging the topic, despite my attempts in practically every post to return to it.

So, again, why do you think Obama's statement is controversial?

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2010, 09:24 AM

Then don't complain if someone responds in kind.
Attacking me because I comment on a public figure isn't "responding in kind" - it's being a turd.

I don't know what you mean by selecting that part of my sentence and responding with this.
He said: "No wonder it bothered Doofy"
You said: "I think his statement about you fits the bill"

Please show evidence that I'm "bothered" by Barry's statement. You agree with mckenna that I'm "bothered", so come on, please show which part of "What a knobhead. Discuss" is code for "I'm bothered about this".

So, again, why do you think Obama's statement is controversial?
Like I said, I'm not fussed either way - I want to see what your reactions are to it.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 15, 2010, 09:25 AM

...and this is why rule 8 exists.

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2010, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
...and this is why rule 8 exists.
Rule 8 is shit. It doesn't allow for people who want to solicit opinion in order to make their own minds up about a subject - it requires everyone to already have arrived at an opinion about every subject, which (if you think about it) is actually less conducive to sensible conversation than someone starting a thread with a clean slate.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2010, 09:31 AM

Attacking me because I comment on a public figure isn't "responding in kind" - it's being a turd.

He said: "No wonder it bothered Doofy"
You said: "I think his statement about you fits the bill"

Please show evidence that I'm "bothered" by Barry's statement. You agree with mckenna that I'm "bothered", so come on, please show which part of "What a knobhead. Discuss" is code for "I'm bothered about this".
Now, I don't pretend to be an expert in "the Queen's English," but my impression is that usually when you call someone a "knobhead," it is because you disagree with them or find them objectionable in some way. One might say, in short, that they "bother" you.

Like I said, I'm not fussed either way - I want to see what your reactions are to it.
Great. Thread over.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2010, 09:33 AM

Rule 8 is shit. It doesn't allow for people who want to solicit opinion in order to make their own minds up about a subject - it requires everyone to already have arrived at an opinion about every subject, which (if you think about it) is actually less conducive to sensible conversation than someone starting a thread with a clean slate.
Well, it worked great here.

I think it is possible to solicit opinions without violating Rule 8. For example, you can start a thread by asking informed, intelligent questions.

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2010, 09:43 AM

Now, I don't pretend to be an expert in "the Queen's English," but my impression is that usually when you call someone a "knobhead," it is because you disagree with them or find them objectionable in some way. One might say, in short, that they "bother" you.
Sorry, no.

One's opinion of whether or not someone is a knobhead isn't related to whether or not they "bother" you.

Thread over.
Nope. Good try though.

What is your job in D.C. anyway? Which bit of the Dem propaganda machine do you work for? Damage control?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 15, 2010, 09:44 AM

Rule 8 is shit. It doesn't allow for people who want to solicit opinion in order to make their own minds up about a subject
That's because 9 times out of 10, the person doesn't want to solicit an opinion they can get called on, or just wants to stir the pot.

Personally, I find it hard to believe you don't have an opinion on this subject, particularly given that you call Obama a knobhead right off the bat.

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2010, 09:47 AM

I think it is possible to solicit opinions without violating Rule 8. For example, you can start a thread by asking informed, intelligent questions.
And if a person doesn't have any informed, intelligent questions and is a completely blank slate on the subject?

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2010, 09:49 AM

Sorry, no.

One's opinion of whether or not someone is a knobhead isn't related to whether or not they "bother" you.
Well, now you're splitting hairs. Is it possible to think poorly of someone without their personally annoying you? Sure, I concede that. But the two are hardly exclusive. One interpretation of your first post could be that you are "bothered," so that is why the response seemed reasonable to me.

Nope. Good try though.

What is your job in D.C. anyway? Which bit of the Dem propaganda machine do you work for? Damage control?
No, I'm not involved in politics. I'm a minor functionary within the vast military-energy-industrial complex.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2010, 09:50 AM

And if a person doesn't have any informed, intelligent questions and is a completely blank slate on the subject?
Well, then I would question why you would want to start a thread in the first place. A better course of action in my mind would be to start reading about the topic in order to get to some questions.

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2010, 09:51 AM

Personally, I find it hard to believe you don't have an opinion on this subject, particularly given that you call Obama a knobhead right off the bat.
I have an opinion that Barry's a knobhead, sure.

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2010, 09:56 AM

Well, now you're splitting hairs. Is it possible to think poorly of someone without their personally annoying you? Sure, I concede that. But the two are hardly exclusive.
I forgot that you colonials aren't in possession of stiff upper lips and as such can't separate such emotions. Sorry about that.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2010, 09:58 AM

Yes, British politics is famously dispassionate.

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2010, 09:59 AM

Well, then I would question why you would want to start a thread in the first place. A better course of action in my mind would be to start reading about the topic in order to get to some questions.
The question is: "What do you guys think about this?".
So where do I start reading? Links to pages where MacNNers are relaying their thoughts about this subject please.

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2010, 10:03 AM

Yes, British politics is famously dispassionate.
Outside a few fringe groups, yes it is. It might not look it to someone who doesn't understand the British character and social conventions (i.e. everyone taking the piss out of everything), but I assure you, it is.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2010, 10:04 AM

The question is: "What do you guys think about this?".
So where do I start reading? Links to pages where MacNNers are relaying their thoughts about this subject please.
If literally all you want to know is what MacNNers are thinking about it, then I think Rule 8 needs to take priority in the interests of keeping the peace. But if, as you seemed to indicate, what you are after is simply an intelligent discussion about a topic without having to make a final stand about it first, then I think the approach I described has at least some hope of success.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 15, 2010, 10:07 AM

I have an opinion that Barry's a knobhead, sure.
Given that you posted that in a thread about his comment, its hard not to infer that what you were referring to. And if you weren't why the non sequitur?

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2010, 11:02 AM

Of course, all of this bollocks which you guys are coming out with is also good research.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 15, 2010, 11:03 AM

Good research into how not to start a thread? I'm pretty sure this research has been done before.

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2010, 11:07 AM

Good research into how not to start a thread? I'm pretty sure this research has been done before.
Keep going - it's all good.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 15, 2010, 11:16 AM

Keep going - it's all good.
Yes Doofy, you've really painted us into a corner here. If I continue on this line of thought, I'm only "feeding" you research – material that's been done to death in the PL past and is fresh in no way whatsoever, and is totally not related to you stonewalling the general premise of the thread. Or I could address the subject at hand, and reward your ducking of the discussion. So I think I'll continue to play along with your charade that this post is somehow useful to you, even though this type of thread has happened a thousand time before.

You should really seek out a grant, universities would pay millions for the information and research you're culling here.

(BTW, I think the short entry into your log book could be summed up as "sarcasm")

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2010, 11:36 AM

Yes Doofy, you've really painted us into a corner here. If I continue on this line of thought, I'm only "feeding" you research – material that's been done to death in the PL past and is fresh in no way whatsoever, and is totally not related to you stonewalling the general premise of the thread. Or I could address the subject at hand, and reward your ducking of the discussion. So I think I'll continue to play along with your charade that this post is somehow useful to you, even though this type of thread has happened a thousand time before.

You should really seek out a grant, universities would pay millions for the information and research you're culling here.

(BTW, I think the short entry into your log book could be summed up as "sarcasm")
Keep it up Dak - I'm almost halfway towards a decent second verse here.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 15, 2010, 11:41 AM

You're getting more transparent, Sherwin. You won't reach climax that way.

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2010, 11:44 AM

I'm not sure whether to call the song "Pussy" or something else. What do you think, Dak?

Demonhood
Administrator
Jun 15, 2010, 11:49 AM

Started with a Rule 8 violation and quickly devolved into name calling and other nonsense.

So, um, here's Bill Gates as a ninja:

Forum Links
Forum Rules