Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Bit Torrent problem

Bit Torrent problem
Mr Mushroom
Forum Regular
Feb 16, 2006, 04:52 AM

I am new to Bit Torrents, and although I have finally got something working, I am still experiencing terrible problems.

I am on a PB 17" and connected to the internet through a hotel DSL set up ( I am living in a hotel in Japan for 3 months).

i first started with BitTorrent, but couldn't get anything to download completely so on advice I switched to Azureus, which is working better. However I still have never seen a 'green smilie' and at the bottom of the screen there is a red circle saying 'Firewalled'. Is this affecting my download speed, and if so, how do I fix it?

I set the port as 26338 and created an entry in the OSX firewall named Azureus allowing TCP and UDP traffic through this port. Do I still need to do something else?

I am not truly understanding what needs to be done, and would like to learn. Anyone that can help me with this would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mush
Powerbook G4 17", 1.5GHz, 2GB RAM, 5400rpm HD, 128Mb VRAM

Thinine
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2006, 02:05 PM

Is there an external firewall through your DSL connection? Perhaps the hotel blocks or shapes some types of traffic. You could also turn off the OS X firewall completely for a bit and see if Azureus still complains.

Mr Mushroom  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 16, 2006, 02:59 PM

I really dont know what the hotel is using - I guess that could be the problem yes.

I was going to try turning the firewall off, but isnt that dangerous?

Also, if I am uploading these files also, as it seems to be looking at the Azureus screen, does that mean that people have access to all my files, or just those in the Azureus list? Sorry if that sounds paranoid, but I want to share, just dont want to share anything personal if you know what I mean.

Also, if I move the downloaded video files to another folder or drive, does that mean they won't be sharing anymore, or will Azureus just know where to look for them?

Thanks for your help
Powerbook G4 17", 1.5GHz, 2GB RAM, 5400rpm HD, 128Mb VRAM

Thinine
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2006, 03:03 PM

Azureus is only seeding files you tell it to, and they should appear in the lower pane. It should be okay to turn off the firewall for a moment and test Azureus. And if you move the files, Azureus won't know where they went, so it'll probably stop sharing them. I don't know if it can track moved files while it's still active, but when it's not running, moving files should cause Azureus to lose track of them.

D14852001_neko
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2006, 03:45 PM

try wardriving and check if in other networks bittorrent works!
D14852001::neko.eth0

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 16, 2006, 09:15 PM

Sounds like your hotel is firewalling that type of download. Many places do that to cut down on excessive download eating up bandwidth. Public libraries do the same thing. Try Acquisition, too and if you can't connect, I would guess firewall.

By nature, all unused ports in OSX are turned off, unlike windows.

Forum Links
Forum Rules