Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > eBay and Powerbook scams

eBay and Powerbook scams
Spliff
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2005, 12:24 AM

New 12" Powerbook on eBay

Is this legit? The guy is a PowerSeller with PayPal buyer protection, and yet, it smells like a scam. Two days left and no bids. And he bought the Powerbook in September but never used it. Why would someone spend that much money to purchase a new Powerbook and then let it sit idle and unopened while it depreciates? It makes no sense to me.

If I bid on this and win, is there any way to protect myself from getting ripped off or is it "buyer beware"?

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2005, 01:08 AM

My gut feeling is that this one is legitimate. The specs are right, the price is not great but OK (you could do better with an Apple refurb--the superdrive model is just $1499 with a full warranty), his feedback is great, and he has an eBay store. The only negatives are that he doesn't say where he lives...eastern US is not very specific. Perhaps he doesn't want to say New York or New Jersey.

I wouldn't be worried about the lack of bids. This isn't open for bidding. It's a buy-it-now sale. You just pay the asking price and get the machine.

If you're worried about why it's been unopened, you still have more than a day to ask him. That will also give a chance to assess his communication skills.

Chris

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 18, 2005, 01:11 AM

Nothing really stands out as a red flag to me. Ask the seller for the serial number. You could call Apple and inquire about it's AppleCare status and all that. Also you can ask about the manufacture date from it as well.

But considering it's a model behind the current line up and only $50 down from a new price, all you are really getting from it is the AppleCare.

discotronic
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2005, 04:01 AM

Looks legit to me. He has a couple of them for sale. Take a look in his store. One of them doesn't have AppleCare and is a few bucks cheaper. According to his shipping info at the bottom of the auction he is in PA. Here is a link to his other PB:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=5761278705

If you pay with PayPal you should be covered. They changed their policies recently that increased the amount of coverage you have per transaction. You would have to check with them on that to make sure.

Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2005, 04:54 AM

The only bad thing I see is the illegal songs and software he installed.

Unless he hands over his Photoshop and Acrobat licenses, the software is not legit.

Ω
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2005, 05:16 AM

I would say legit. Looking at this past sales history and comments these products seem to be the norm, so unless he has constructed an intricate web of deception, I think you might be safe.

Sandbaggins
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2005, 07:17 AM

Only thing that seems suspicious is the claim that the PB has been recently opened and not used. From the description: "but it was never even opened until this week."

Right.

Seems he got it in September '04 so it should be in good shape.
Unless he dropped the f'er

The guy sells a bunch of apple ipods and some Vid Editing software. Good track record but
the one week story is BS.
15" 1.25/512/80/5400/SD/AE Aluminum Powerbook

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2005, 11:01 AM

if it were $10 it'd be a scam.

for that money, get a refurb and a full year of warranty.

Forum Links
Forum Rules