Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > Build Your Own Mac Pro

Build Your Own Mac Pro
Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 15, 2014, 10:36 AM

I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2014, 05:21 PM

I like how he doesn't show the power supply components directly.

P
Jan 15, 2014, 06:09 PM

Could be that he use a pico-PSU setup. The fact that he has picked the fastest discrete GPU currently on the market that does not require an external power connector sort of implies that he is very limited in the number of connectors he has access to.

While it's smart to be able to build it, I'm not sure that his cooling setup will work. A better way would be with a tower-style cooler over the CPU with the fan blowing the heat along the main cooling channel and a passively cooled GPU.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2014, 06:36 PM

I'm thinking grounding, rf shielding, fire hazard, and electrocution not wattage.

P
Jan 16, 2014, 05:14 AM

If it is a pico-PSU, then actual conversion from 110/230V AC down to 12V DC is done in a closed box that itself is grounded (the pico-PSU then makes sure that there is enough current on the other rails to make the box work). If it's a small regular-type PSU, then the PSU is grounded as in any other PC. Possible issue is if the case is supposed to ground the motherboard to the PSU through the chassis, but the ground leads in the motherboard cable should cover that. Static build up from the airflow, maybe? It's a stretch.

The fire risk doesn't trouble me greatly, given how well fireproofed that trashcan would have to be in the first place. RF shielding is a potential issue - unless there is a Faraday cage in that box somewhere that I can't see or something.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 17, 2014, 05:43 PM

The admins of the source forum are a little restictive....

Because I have been threatened to get sued by the german forum admins, I had to remove the link to the original post.
There's a joke in there somewhere...

Forum Links
Forum Rules