Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > If apple releases a BT mouse...

If apple releases a BT mouse...
MikeD
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2003, 10:14 PM

Do you think it will perform well? Currently, I use a kensington pocket pro mouse that's wireless with a USB adapter type thing and it's just really a pain to take it on and off to turn the mouse off. Plus, I think that piece (receiver) is really cheap (build quality). I'd prefer a BT option since my pb 12" has it built in. However, it won't be good if it's not accurate nor fast enough. Never have seen one in person though. Anyone with any ideas or experiences? Oh yeah, will this mouse, if it ever comes out, cost an arm and a leg like all other BT devices??? I hope not.. Sweet spot in terms of price would be around $50 I think.

Mike
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2003, 10:26 AM

Originally posted by MikeD:
Do you think it will perform well? Currently, I use a kensington pocket pro mouse that's wireless with a USB adapter type thing and it's just really a pain to take it on and off to turn the mouse off. Plus, I think that piece (receiver) is really cheap (build quality). I'd prefer a BT option since my pb 12" has it built in. However, it won't be good if it's not accurate nor fast enough. Never have seen one in person though. Anyone with any ideas or experiences? Oh yeah, will this mouse, if it ever comes out, cost an arm and a leg like all other BT devices??? I hope not.. Sweet spot in terms of price would be around $50 I think.

Mike
If Apple releases one it better have two buttons and a scroll wheel. This is one bandwagon Apple needs to jump on.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

dfiler
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 17, 2003, 02:45 PM

<anti wireless peripheral grumpy old man mode>

I can't remember the last time the mouse cord was even slightly inconvenient. Granted, some people have legitimate needs for a cordless mouse. Yet, for most people, going cordless actually means adding more cords to worry about...

Sure, cordless mice are 'neat'. That is, until the novelty wears off and you just leave the charging cord/dock on the desk anyway.

I'd choose the 2 second hassle of plugging in a cord over the hassles of battery powered data transmission.

</anti wireless peripheral grumpy old man mode>

osxisfun
Jul 17, 2003, 02:52 PM

i had a apple mouse.
now i have the m$ explorer silver mouse.

the cord was a pain in the but to me. it kept getting caught near the keyboard. if apple finds a way to impove on the couple of things that are not quite perfect about the m$ mouse then i will be buying one of those.

its more then neat.

i like the extra buttons.

batteries have to be replaced but i could give a hoot.

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 17, 2003, 03:23 PM

I can't see why Apple won't get with the program and package a PRO mouse with the PRO computers they design. A PowerMac G5, for example, is used by professionals who are capable of understanding the purposes of having... 2 mouse buttons.

eMacs and iMacs could stay one button I suppose, but why in the world must Apple require PowerMac buyers to seek out a third party mouse just to have an additional button or two? Professionals need 2 buttons at least

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2003, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by dfiler:

I can't remember the last time the mouse cord was even slightly inconvenient. Granted, some people have legitimate needs for a cordless mouse. Yet, for most people, going cordless actually means adding more cords to worry about...

Sure, cordless mice are 'neat'. That is, until the novelty wears off and you just leave the charging cord/dock on the desk anyway.

I'd choose the 2 second hassle of plugging in a cord over the hassles of battery powered data transmission.

damn right

(and I am a grumpy young man)

xtal
Senior User
Jul 17, 2003, 04:18 PM

Originally posted by dfiler:

Let me also join the grumpy club. I would despise having to carry around a mouse, plus a receiver and batteries everywhere my iBook goes. Give me a little mouse cord any day. Mouse cords have a hidden feature you know... they can be coiled into a small loop. Crazy.

To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2003, 05:35 PM

Grumpy young man here too.

Wireless internet . Wireless mouse . *sigh* Cords have never gotten in the way for me.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

hadocon
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2003, 08:59 PM

- too much time on my hands question asking mode -

If I ordered a pizza for supper do you think I would be satisfied? I mean, the deal they have is for 4 toppings for $7.99. I could choose pepperoni, anchovies, esxtra cheese and mushrooms, but then I would not have pineapple, or green peppers!

Is a burger a better deal?
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

Ryan1524
Senior User
Jul 19, 2003, 01:12 PM

the MX700 takes care of the recharging problem. and once we can transmit power wirelessly, there will be no need for batteries and the BT mouse will be simply an external device with no wires attached.
Ryan

Forum Links
Forum Rules