Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Remote Desktop Problems

Remote Desktop Problems
srfdriver22
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2004, 11:24 PM

My sister has an iMac behind a linksys wireless router. My mac is also behind a wireless linksys router (though it's plugged into the back). I'm trying to do Remote Desktop with her, but of course, I can't even ping her router's IP address. Does anyone know how I can get this all sorted so that I can use Remote Desktop?

Thanks.

ddukes
Feb 20, 2004, 06:33 AM

Originally posted by srfdriver22:
My sister has an iMac behind a linksys wireless router. My mac is also behind a wireless linksys router (though it's plugged into the back). I'm trying to do Remote Desktop with her, but of course, I can't even ping her router's IP address. Does anyone know how I can get this all sorted so that I can use Remote Desktop?

Thanks.
Here's a screenshot of the router config:

On this page the column named "IP Address" is the IP Address the router would hand out to your sister's computer.

You'll want to get your sister's WAN IP address from the Status page so that you can add the computer into Remote Desktop.

ddukes
Feb 20, 2004, 06:40 AM

So in other words you do not have to change any settings on your router.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2004, 07:27 AM

Originally posted by ddukes:
So in other words you do not have to change any settings on your router.
So what do you have to do?

Im having the same problem (I think).

My iMac connected to Linksys Wireless router

IBook with airport card.

imac can control the iBook, but i want the iBook to iMac.

Remote desktop is not as easy to configure as it should be.

Any ideas?

ddukes
Feb 20, 2004, 11:45 AM

Originally posted by moonmonkey:
So what do you have to do?

Im having the same problem (I think).

My iMac connected to Linksys Wireless router

IBook with airport card.

imac can control the iBook, but i want the iBook to iMac.

Remote desktop is not as easy to configure as it should be.

Any ideas?
The bump in the road that makes it difficult is the router/firewall. You just have to get a good understanding that's all.

I said that srfdriver22 didn't have to change anything on his router but those changes have to be made on his sister's so that the data can get routed to the correct computer behind the router/firewall that he wants to manage.

Your situation may be totally different from his. Where are your two computers located on the network? At home and at work? Both at home?

srfdriver22  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2004, 11:32 PM

In order for us to intially connect, I had to do that to both of our routers. However, once we connected it said something about updating her computer to 1.2 from 1.1, even though we have the same version. Then, once it did that, it told her to reboot her computer. So I did and now it's Unavailable and if she tries to load Remote Desktop.app, it's not installed properly. Then I get Access Denied on my end. So, she reinstalled it but still, same error message. I tried to walk her through removing anything remote desktop related and reinstalling, but there are 2 files that won't be removed, one of them is the Remote Desktop Agent file, which I don't have.

Any ideas?

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2004, 12:56 AM

Originally posted by ddukes:
The bump in the road that makes it difficult is the router/firewall. You just have to get a good understanding that's all.

I said that srfdriver22 didn't have to change anything on his router but those changes have to be made on his sister's so that the data can get routed to the correct computer behind the router/firewall that he wants to manage.

Your situation may be totally different from his. Where are your two computers located on the network? At home and at work? Both at home?

Both at home.

Wireless Router connected to ADSL, my iMac connected (with a cable) to the router.

iBook with an airport card connecting through the wireless router.

I want to be able to control the iMac from the iBook while on the toilet.

Any ideas?

ddukes
Feb 22, 2004, 03:47 AM

Originally posted by srfdriver22:
In order for us to intially connect, I had to do that to both of our routers. However, once we connected it said something about updating her computer to 1.2 from 1.1, even though we have the same version. Then, once it did that, it told her to reboot her computer. So I did and now it's Unavailable and if she tries to load Remote Desktop.app, it's not installed properly. Then I get Access Denied on my end. So, she reinstalled it but still, same error message. I tried to walk her through removing anything remote desktop related and reinstalling, but there are 2 files that won't be removed, one of them is the Remote Desktop Agent file, which I don't have.

Any ideas?
srfdriver22, for the record you do not have to make any modifications to your own router settings unless you want to manage it from a location outside of your router. You only need to set the port forwarding on your sisters. The key is to first verify that the port is forwarding to the her IP address behind the router.

After that then go into the "Sharing Preferences" on her computer and check "Apple Remote Desktop". From there a drop down box will appear and it will ask you to assign Access Privileges to a user. This user has to be a user who has an account on her mac. If you need to create one for yourself then go ahead and create an account for you first.

After you do this then connect to her mac from your own and everything should be gravy from there.

ddukes
Feb 22, 2004, 03:51 AM

Originally posted by moonmonkey:
Both at home.

Wireless Router connected to ADSL, my iMac connected (with a cable) to the router.

iBook with an airport card connecting through the wireless router.

I want to be able to control the iMac from the iBook while on the toilet.

Any ideas?
moonmonkey, yours is simple then. No router config at all is necessary because it will not impact anything. On the mac you want to manage just turn on Apple Remote Desktop from the Sharing Preferences and assign Access Privileges.

Forum Links
Forum Rules