Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > MDD Dual 867 USB woes

MDD Dual 867 USB woes
srfdriver22
Forum Regular
May 13, 2004, 11:46 AM

I've posted here before about my MDD locking up for no reason, CPU dumps on the screen and not booting. Well, I think I have narrowed it down to the Belkin 4-port USB switch that I'm using. When I have the keyboard plugged directly into the back of the machine, it won't lock. I did this for the entire day and it worked fine. Then, before I went to bed, I plugged the keyboard back into the switch and went to bed. Note, I don't set my computer to go to sleep.

When I woke up, the machine had been locked up since 2:45AM. No screen dumps, nothing. This hadn't happened the entire time that I had been skipping my Belkin switch.

Now I have to manually swap the keyboard between that and the switch which still goes to my pc. (I do win32 coding on it that I cannot do on the mac)

srfdriver22  (op)
Forum Regular
May 13, 2004, 12:18 PM

Great, now it doesn't chime and won't boot.

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
May 13, 2004, 03:31 PM

Try hitting the CUDA reset switch. It's on the logic board near the PRAM battery.
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

srfdriver22  (op)
Forum Regular
May 13, 2004, 05:08 PM

Did that and nothing. I just got back from taking it to the Apple Store. The Genius there couldn't get it to boot up, so it'll at least be $75 to look at it. The last time they replaced my logic board and my processor, which cost me around $750. I can't afford to do that so I might as well put this in the basement and buy a G5...nice excuse eh?

Forum Links
Forum Rules