Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Bad Dual 867 Processor, turn it off?

Bad Dual 867 Processor, turn it off?
srfdriver22
Forum Regular
May 19, 2004, 04:56 PM

The prognosis on my Dual 867 when I got it back from the Apple store was that one processor was bad and it was going to cost me ~$700 to replace it. That's $700 that I don't have. So, I took it back. But, would it be possible to turn the bad one off and turn my system into a single 867? I didn't find anything on here or on google, so it may not be possible...but it's worth a shot!

Thanks for any help.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 19, 2004, 07:59 PM

If you have a way of getting your hands on CHUD Tools, that might do the trick. I know that Rob over at BareFeats.com uses CHUD Tools to disable one processor in dual processor system for benchmark purposes.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
May 19, 2004, 09:38 PM

In case you don't know, CHUD tools come with the Developer Tools Apple provides with each OS upgrade or as free downloads at developer.apple.com.
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

Link
Professional Poster
May 19, 2004, 10:18 PM

CHUD tools does indeed have the ability to turn one processor off, but it may or may not fix the problem. Typically, I think this would be processor 1 (or #2) but it MIGHT be smarter than that.

You can install CHUD tools by looking for an installer in your developer folder OR getting the installer by clicking here
Aloha

srfdriver22  (op)
Forum Regular
May 20, 2004, 12:28 AM

Thanks for the info guys. However, the system won't boot because one of the processors is bad, so how do I install CHUD and turn one of them off? I was hoping that there was a jumper somewhere or just physically removing the fautly processor.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
May 20, 2004, 12:41 AM

Can you physically remove one of the processors?

If so, remove one and reset the firmware (dunno the Mac verbage). See if it boots. If not, try the other processor. You need to determine which processor is defective and set it aside - and you (probably) need to have the 'good' processor in the correct socket. The "boot socket" as it's called in peecee land. Maybe the motherboard is labeled near the sockets... "CPU 0" & "CPU 1" would be nice. Use the socket for "CPU 0", it's typically the 'boot socket'.

Resetting the firmware after swapping/exchanging processors is probably important. The motherboard might not 'look for' or update such hardware changes unless the firmware is reset. Also, be certain that you unplug the power to the machine while you swap processors around.

I'm no expert when it comes to Macs, but I know what works on a peecee.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 20, 2004, 01:32 AM

Both processors reside on one daughtercard.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
May 20, 2004, 06:15 AM

Ouch. $700...

I have really bad feeling about Dual 867s. I had one, and it gave me the most trouble of any Mac I have ever known.

In the end, the store got so fed up of fixing it, they swapped it out for a powerbook and admitted it was a lemon...

We used to have 3 at work, 2 of those used to go down with apparant frequency too.

I see so many complaints about d867s around here (and elsewhere) that I can't help thinking quality took a nose dive for that iteration of machine.

I'd push the boat out for that Dual 1.8...

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
May 20, 2004, 10:12 AM

That's weird because I have a dual 867 and have had nothing but good luck. Well, ok, I might ammend that. I did have to get my logic board replaced for a bad ATA controller. However, it only started acting up after my friend set off a fire extinguisher during one of our parties (dust was everywhere). Since then, it's been fine.
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

Link
Professional Poster
May 20, 2004, 02:05 PM

I would have suggested just writing off your losses and maybe selling the module off to powerlogix or something for that extra CPU instead of tossing it..

However, getting another MDD module from anyone BUT apple is going to be next to impossible. For a while I thought you could buy them from OWC, but you just can't, unfortunately

Maybe give it a while.. a processor that way would only cost about $300 even if it's a single.. you'd still be able to use it

Either way, that's not possible, and your machine if working properly would be worth roughly $1000. If you were to part out your machine and sell it you might get $400 or so for those parts depending on how lucky you are, and a new g4 starts at $1299 (or if you're planning to refurb or whatever that's a different story)..

That $1299 would get you a single 1.25, you might be able to find a dual 1.0-1.25 for a few bucks more but that's doubtful. I'd suggest seeing if there's any way you can get, say a single processor module (they made single 1ghz MDDs), or something like that.
Aloha

srfdriver22  (op)
Forum Regular
May 20, 2004, 03:05 PM

As of now, I don't think it's going to be worth it to try and save this machine. I've had enough problems with that I really wish there was a lemon law for computers.

Anyhow, I have my eyes set on the Dual 1.8, however I'm going to wait to see what happens at WWDC before I make a purchase. I would, however, like to sell these parts and get something out of it besides letting it sit here and collect dust. So, I think that's what I'll plan on doing real soon. Since you say parts are hard to find for an MDD, an entire machine worth of parts sans one broken processor would be a good find.

I really do appreciate your help guys. Thank you.

Anyone want to buy some MDD parts?

MacGallant
Dedicated MacNNer
May 20, 2004, 04:09 PM

Originally posted by TimmyDee51:
That's weird because I have a dual 867 and have had nothing but good luck. Well, ok, I might ammend that. I did have to get my logic board replaced for a bad ATA controller. However, it only started acting up after my friend set off a fire extinguisher during one of our parties (dust was everywhere). Since then, it's been fine.
I too have a MDD 867 Dualie G4 and I never had problems with it.

2 years ago, I ordered direct from Apple with 512 Mb ram, 80 Gb HD, and a Radeon 9000 Pro. Since then, I upped the Ram to 1Gb, upgraded the stock vid card Radeon 9000 Pro to a Radeon 9800 Pro, added a Lite-On CD Burner in the second Optical Drive bay, and installed a PCI Slot System Blower (I bought from Fry's Electronics for about $14) to remove the heat exhaust internally from my tower to reduce changes of potential overheating--and let me tell ya, the system blower sucks out alot of hot air!

I hope everything works out for the guy with the defective dualie.
PowerMacG4 MDD Dual867Mhz, MacOSX 10.5.5 Leopard
2GB Ram, 128mb Radeon 9800 Pro, 80GB HD & 160GB HD
MacBook Black: Core2Duo 2.2Ghz, MacOSX 10.5.5 Leopard
4GB Ram & 250GB HD

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2004, 04:27 PM

Right.. I have CHUD Tools installed on my dual 1.25. I don't think you have the option to disable the CPU of your choice, the software picks it. It's sad that you didn't purchase AppleCare plan with the PowerMac.

SMacTech
Mac Elite
May 20, 2004, 05:12 PM

Originally posted by The Placid Casual:
Ouch. $700...

I have really bad feeling about Dual 867s. I had one, and it gave me the most trouble of any Mac I have ever known.

In the end, the store got so fed up of fixing it, they swapped it out for a powerbook and admitted it was a lemon...

We used to have 3 at work, 2 of those used to go down with apparant frequency too.

I see so many complaints about d867s around here (and elsewhere) that I can't help thinking quality took a nose dive for that iteration of machine.

I'd push the boat out for that Dual 1.8...
Contrary to that I have a MDD867, and purchased 6 of them at work. There was a video card problem with one, which was fixed with a driver update. All of them are running Panther without a problem (hardware related).
Mine is a very early one, and it is loud. For that reason it is mounted in the official 'server' room with the wires feeding through the wall to my office.

srfdriver22  (op)
Forum Regular
May 20, 2004, 05:36 PM

Originally posted by Kenneth:
It's sad that you didn't purchase AppleCare plan with the PowerMac.
Yup, you live and learn. Though, you'd think, after having the logic board and a processor replaced within the first 90 days that everything would be fine if it lasts another year and a half. Apparently not in this case.

Can the processor be physically removed from the daughter card? Without damaging the card of course. I wouldn't think that many things would be different between the single and the dual, would there be?

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
May 20, 2004, 05:36 PM

Good to hear from so many happy d867 owners!

Maybe my faith in them is ready to be restored!

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2004, 05:48 PM

Both processors are soldered on the daughter card, so you can't take them out w/o doing some serious work or ruin it.

Since your G4 runs at 133Mhz for the system bus, either you can find a dual 867 daughter card or the single 1.0Ghz card on eBay or Mac e-tailers (smalldog.com, macsales.com, etc)

Link
Professional Poster
May 20, 2004, 06:13 PM

Pretty much all G4 powermacs were like this -- either total lemons or worked flawlessly.

Mine was a lemon. After they practically replaced everything but some parts of the case, the CPU module itself (amazing huh?), power supply and CD drive, all seems ALMOST well..

Still have a bum RAM module and possibly motherboard (due to pro speaker jack AGAIN) OHHH they replaced the bum gf2mx twinview with a bum 4mx

EIther way, I think those will be settled with a long 3 week repair again. No biggies
Aloha

Cooter
Dedicated MacNNer
May 22, 2004, 12:58 AM

...I have a Dual 867. Got the quieter power supply when they offered it. Its been OC'd to 1gig since the first week I got it. I guess its been almost 2 years. Flawless. And it has run with a Radeon 8500 and 4HDs in it the whole time.

You'd think an OC'd 867 with 4 HDs and a hot GPU woulda had problems if it was poorly engineered. But no, steady as she goes. Oh well, there are always lemons. I'm just glad I was one of the ones lucky enough to get a good one.
"People who sacrifice essential liberty for a little temporary safety deserve neither." -Benjamin Franklin

Link
Professional Poster
May 22, 2004, 01:39 AM

Sometimes a CPU can go bad, and this happens.. it sucks but it does happen.

I'd be careful if I were you.. just keep in mind if you blow your processor module it's going to be a @#$*(^ to get a replacement
Aloha

york28
Senior User
May 25, 2004, 12:06 PM

Although it's much more than the $700 to get a new daughtercard, you can find used dual 1.0s and 1.25s for around $1300-1400. Worth considering. You could sell your Mac on ebay with the dead processor, and take that money and what you would spend on the replacement processor and get a newer Mac.
We need less Democrats and Republicans, and more people that think for themselves.

infinite expanse

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2004, 01:32 AM

Originally posted by srfdriver22:
As of now, I don't think it's going to be worth it to try and save this machine. I've had enough problems with that I really wish there was a lemon law for computers.

Anyhow, I have my eyes set on the Dual 1.8, however I'm going to wait to see what happens at WWDC before I make a purchase. I would, however, like to sell these parts and get something out of it besides letting it sit here and collect dust. So, I think that's what I'll plan on doing real soon. Since you say parts are hard to find for an MDD, an entire machine worth of parts sans one broken processor would be a good find.

I really do appreciate your help guys. Thank you.

Anyone want to buy some MDD parts?
A lemon law for computers but then dell would go out of business and you don't want that do you?

you could buy an upgrade card from sonnet or some other upgrade company and install it you could get like a dual 1.5 for 1200 or something steep but probably better than what you would be getting.
( Last edited by macaddict0001; Jun 15, 2004 at 01:40 AM. )

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2004, 07:36 AM

Can't you just drop in an "Upgrade" like the single 1.4GHz G4 they sell at OWC? I think it's around $400.

Oops. Looks like upgrades don't exist for the MDD models yet.

I think the best option is to pick up a CPU from ebay or sell the whole thing and get a G5.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Forum Links
Forum Rules