Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Secret "Islamist" website ??

Secret "Islamist" website ??
Krusty
Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2004, 08:39 PM

I just saw an article regarding the beheading of a US hostage that was broadcast on and "Islamist website". I seem to remember the same phrase regarding the Nick Berg and other videos. Why does nobody ever actually link out to the websites in question ? I swear I've heard of numerous statements and actions that are being broadcast on "Islamist" websites ... but nobody ever seems to name or link to this (these) supposed site(s).

So ... anyone here know of the actual ORIGINAL sites where these things are supposed to be posted ? I remember the Nick Berg video being mirrored several places .. but never a direct link.

I'm not particularly interested in browsing said site. Just want some verification that these places actually exist. I'd love to do a whois on the site(s) in question and see where these things are really originating, y'know.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2004, 08:43 PM

Well I know of several Islamist websites but I would love it if the media could do it's job and stop labeling it as an "Islamist" website

It's a terrorist supporting website. Or they could even just say website! But no, it's too important to label Islam that way

but yeah, I'd love to do a whois on that site.

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2004, 08:51 PM

Funny, ain't it.
Islamist is just said as like extreme or radical or whatever. Who cares.
Al Qaeda doesn't use an address for more than a couple days, and you never see any of these site urls. Hmmm.
You'd think some brave soul out of a couple billion would find the site urls.
If you did couldn't you hack it or something?

Krusty  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2004, 09:17 PM

Originally posted by CreepingDeath:
Funny, ain't it.
Islamist is just said as like extreme or radical or whatever. Who cares.
Al Qaeda doesn't use an address for more than a couple days, and you never see any of these site urls. Hmmm.
You'd think some brave soul out of a couple billion would find the site urls.
If you did couldn't you hack it or something?
Exactly ... I mean somebody has to be an ISP for these sites, right ?? Some sort of bandwidth is being allocated by someone. Why don't they track this ? Investigate who is hosting ? I've NEVER seen any of these things actually attributed to anyone. Just some vague "Islamist website". Well .. who, exactly ??

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2004, 09:28 PM

Originally posted by Krusty:
Exactly ... I mean somebody has to be an ISP for these sites, right ?? Some sort of bandwidth is being allocated by someone. Why don't they track this ? Investigate who is hosting ? I've NEVER seen any of these things actually attributed to anyone. Just some vague "Islamist website". Well .. who, exactly ??
Beats the hell outta me.
But even if you could, you know they'd keep all of the important **** out of reach or something. Any page they had with decently important information wouldn't be easy to find. And it's possible that they have all their **** on someone else's computers without them knowing, like the Russians did.

Saad
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 25, 2004, 11:56 PM

http://www.hamasonline.com/
http://www.fateh.net/

Seems to be more a site for Hamas' and El Fatah's political operations in Lebanon, but Hamas and El Fatah none the less. American media probably do not actually do not get links, instead press releases from the government.

If they did find the sites, they would be in Arabic, and would also draw hits away from their sites.

Just a guess.

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2004, 12:01 AM

Hamas�online?
So�open.
They need some better PSers for their site. Lame flag too. It's almost as bad as FrontPage's graphics. Don't they have computers in ME? Or is that against the law?
Those Hamas bastards can go rot in hell with some pork fat.

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2004, 01:41 AM

Originally posted by CreepingDeath:
Hamas�online?
So�open.
They need some better PSers for their site. Lame flag too. It's almost as bad as FrontPage's graphics. Don't they have computers in ME? Or is that against the law?
Those Hamas bastards can go rot in hell with some pork fat.
lol

Consider these posts as my way of introducing you to yourself.

Proud "SMACKDOWN!!" and "Golden Troll" Award Winner.

zachs
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2004, 01:56 AM

Well, I know of one where they have all the videos. It's not an al Qaeda site, though. I don't think they have their own site; they just send them out to various other sites which host them.

PacHead
Baninated
Sep 26, 2004, 03:57 AM

These Jihadist scum terrorist websites get shut down all of the time.

Here is a database of these scum-sites. Most of them are now inactive, because of the good work of certain people.

http://www.haganah.us/jihadi/

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2004, 05:10 PM

Actually, there have been a few articles on this.

Most are hosted in pacific islands, and small "ISP's". Term used losely, since many websites of this type are simply old PII's on DSL or ISDN lines.

Reason being to keep costs low, and since they get moved every few days. Otherwise the CIA could bug the server, and trace who is uploading to it.

keep the site for a few days, and move on.

The Nick Berg video I believe was a malasian company.

Problem is sometimes these ISP's don't even know. Most virtual hosting is done in bulk. Often through resellers. Companies often host 10k+. Lots of signups every day. It's impossible to view the contents of every site created. Especially since people are always uploaded, and modifying pages.

it's also easy to obscure.

I could register:
xyz.com with a webhost.

I upload my pages:
index.cgi is actually 2 pages. if the referer is xyz.com is shows pictures of puppy dogs.

if it's a pointer domain (foo.bar), it shows diagrams to build bombs.

is someone going to sit there for hours and decompile my C++ compiled application (if I really want to be geeky), or my obscured PHP or Perl app? I'd think not. It would take hours.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2004, 08:34 PM

Thanks for nothing. I just visited the site, and, 2 minutes later, John Ashcroft came flying through my window.

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2004, 08:42 PM

Originally posted by spacefreak:
Thanks for nothing. I just visited the site, and, 2 minutes later, John Ashcroft came flying through my window.
That's prong 241 for those of you at home counting.

[God bless Lerkfish]

Krusty  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2004, 08:44 PM

Heh (click)

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2004, 08:49 PM

Alright. I took care of Ashcroft. He's all duct-taped up in my bathtub. Thank goodness for Tom Ridge's recommendation to have duct tape handy, or else I would have had to use firewire and USB cables.

Now for the real dilemma... where am I going to come up with the $1000 to replace my bay window?

winwintoo
Sep 26, 2004, 08:51 PM

Very interesting. In my spare time, I write - I'm no darn good at it, but it amuses me - and I had an idea for a story about buildings getting blown up and so on all because some stuff was stored on a computer without the owner knowing about it.

Hmm. Now I have an idea.

You'll all have a part in my story.

m

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2004, 09:04 PM

Originally posted by winwintoo:
Very interesting. In my spare time, I write - I'm no darn good at it, but it amuses me - and I had an idea for a story about buildings getting blown up and so on all because some stuff was stored on a computer without the owner knowing about it.

Hmm. Now I have an idea.
Have you ever tried any of that screenplay writing software? I saw some in an Apple store, but I forgot the name of it.

Anyway, if you need Ashcroft to do some research, just PM me and send me your phone number. I can tear the duct tape from his mouth and let him talk to you for a bit.

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2004, 09:32 PM

Have you ever tried any of that screenplay writing software? I saw some in an Apple store, but I forgot the name of it.

Anyway, if you need Ashcroft to do some research, just PM me and send me your phone number. I can tear the duct tape from his mouth and let him talk to you for a bit.
Tell this to Ashcroft.

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2004, 09:41 PM

Duct tape is like The Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
- _Carl Zwanzig
Consider these posts as my way of introducing you to yourself.

Proud "SMACKDOWN!!" and "Golden Troll" Award Winner.

Forum Links
Forum Rules