Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mini, PC and my work

Mini, PC and my work
srfdriver22
Forum Regular
Aug 16, 2005, 02:34 PM

Hey guys, I didn't know where to put this thread, so hopefully this is the right place.

I have a Mini and a PC. I do web design and php scripting on my Mac but need to use my PC for other portions of my work (VC7 compiling and running of the game). I have a couple of HD's just sitting here that aren't being used either. What's the best combination to make these work together? I like to do video editing as I have a lot of in-car racing video of myself and my father from our SCCA events so FCP comes in handy. I also love my Mini and OS X and would like to use it more!

Currently, I use a Belkin KVM switch to go inbetween the two with one monitor, keyboard and mouse. It works ok, but if I have MSN up on one I won't know that I get an IM while on the other. Which can be a pain in the butt. I suppose I could use a virtual connection to my PC from my Mac but I don't know if that will be fast enough to run a game through, even if they're sitting next to each other connected by my router.

When on MSN I can have file transfers that would require me to be able to access items on my PC, like source code, built dll's or exe's. So I would need some sort of way to access this easily.

Anyways, I would appreciate any ideas! Thanks.
( Last edited by srfdriver22; Aug 16, 2005 at 02:40 PM. )

sodamnregistered2
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 16, 2005, 08:35 PM

MacBook Pro C2D 2.16GHz 2GB 120GB OSX 10.4.9, Boot Camp 1.2, Vista Home Premium
mac mini 1.42, 60GB 7200rpm, 1GB (sold), dual 2GHz/G5 (sold), Powerbook 15" 1GHz (sold)
dual G4 800MHz (sold), dual G4 450MHz (sold), G4 450MHz (sold), Powerbook Pismo G3 500MHz (sold)
PowerMac 9500 132MHz 601, dual 180MHz 604e, Newer G3 400MHz (in closet)
Powermac 7100 80MHz (sold), Powermac 7100 66MHz (sold)

Forum Links
Forum Rules