Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MBP Sleep Issues w/ External Display

MBP Sleep Issues w/ External Display
srfdriver22
Forum Regular
Feb 11, 2007, 03:16 PM

I have a 15" MBP and a 30" CD set as my primary display. When I turn off the monitor then close the lid on my MBP, it goes to sleep then immediately wakes up and continues to run until it idles due to inactivity. Secondly, when I open the lid and turn the monitor back on the internal display of the MBP is no longer recognized. I have to choose Detect Displays from the menu bar on my 30" CD in order for it to refresh the window manager and detect the internal MBP monitor.

Does anyone know what could be causing these two issues?

Thanks!

ibook_steve
Feb 11, 2007, 07:51 PM

Why are you turning off the display? Just close the MBP. Done. The display will sleep.

Steve

molarszbt18
Forum Regular
Feb 11, 2007, 09:39 PM

Did you do the 2 updates? Firmware more importantly?

srfdriver22  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 11, 2007, 10:57 PM

Steve,

Even if I do that, the internal display still needs to be recognized manually once I open the lid.

I have all of the updates, OS, software, and firmware.

Thanks for the replies.

molarszbt18
Forum Regular
Feb 11, 2007, 11:11 PM

Do you have an external keyboard or mouse? The only way it can wake up is a) having a program like an alarm clock waking it back up b) the external mouse or keyboard is depressed.

srfdriver22  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 12, 2007, 12:29 AM

I have an apple bluetooth keyboard and a logitech wireless mouse. Neither are depressed. Is there a log somewhere on what is waking the computer from sleep?

molarszbt18
Forum Regular
Feb 12, 2007, 12:51 AM

i bet you that logitech is waking it...you can set the BT preference not to allow computer to wake with these devices

srfdriver22  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 12, 2007, 01:07 AM

When you brought up an external device waking it, I went and disconnected my mouse and keyboard only to see a usb flash card reader attached to my cinema display hub. Removing that solved it. Thanks for your help!

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2007, 03:38 PM

I have the same issue. When I sleep my MPB after finishing work it is impossible to disconnect all the leads without waking the machine up. I have my keyboard connected via the onboard usb and my tablet via a usb hub, a firewire scanner, ethernet and the monitor. There is no combination of unplugging these that does not result in the mac waking up again during the process, it's all very annoying. If I disconect the power it still manages to wake up and run the monitor again despite this not supposedly being possible without the power lead connected.

I wish that sleep really meant sleep. In reverse however I can sometimes be hammering away at the keyboard for ages trying to wake the b***er up when it sleeps by itself during the day!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 27, 2007, 03:44 PM

Disconnecting a USB connection will wake from sleep. Remove all USB connections first and then go to sleep. That way it'll stay asleep.

Forum Links
Forum Rules