Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > our freedoms are not free

our freedoms are not free
Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2002, 10:07 AM

When people talk about how democracy is a two way street, and how our freedoms are not free, some people don't get it. Like this guy:

from the NYTimes:
SAN ANTONIO (AP) -- When computer consultant David Williamson was summoned for federal jury duty and told that he should keep August free of commitments, he replied he was ready to serve -- at his normal rate of $100 an hour.

He prepared an invoice, charging the government for ``court-ordered professional services for the entire month of August 2002.''

His bill came to $16,800 -- $100 an hour, eight hours a day, 21 days during the month of August.

Williamson sent the bill to court officials and warned that the invoice was due at the end of August and, after that, would begin accumulating interest at 2 percent a month if not paid, the San Antonio Express-News reported in Tuesday's editions.

There was no reply to Williamson's invoice, so he mailed it two more times.

The response Williamson finally got was not the one he wanted. He received a form telling him to report on Aug. 26 for a seven-week trial.

Williamson didn't enclose an invoice with his reply, but wrote back that as a principal partner in a small software firm, he could not miss work for seven weeks. He asked that his jury duty be postponed until next year -- just as it had been in 2000 and 2001.

He added: ``If you would like to meet and discuss this, please have his honor call and schedule an appointment.''

U.S. District Judge Fred Biery's answer showed up on Williamson's fax machine on Monday.

``The Court is happy to accommodate Mr. Williamson's suggestion for an appointment: Mr. Williamson is HEREBY ORDERED TO APPEAR in Courtroom 2 of the John H. Wood Jr. United States Courthouse to show cause why he should not be held in CONTEMPT OF THE COURT AND JAILED ACCORDINGLY.''

The order described Williamson as ``arrogant'' and asserted that he had shirked federal jury duty for seven years -- a figure Williamson disputes.

The federal clerk's office issues some 300 jury summons a month. But in a courthouse with three judges and three magistrates, trials are the exception. Very few summoned actually serve.

Small-business owners can postpone their turn, as Williamson twice did. They also can ask to serve for shorter trials.

Norma Wagoner, the federal jury manager, said it's rare that a court need to resort to the threat of jail.

``We'll work with anyone within reason,'' she said. ``Seven years is a long time. I don't know what else to do for this man.''

Williamson said he would show up for the hearing.

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2002, 10:37 AM

I can sympathize with the guy's situation, but, jeebus. That kind of arrogance deserves a big ass dope slap in the head. There are ways to handle this stuff . Sending a bill for the time and telling his honer to "call for an appointment" just ain't it.
I hope they keep him for a year for something truly boring and blue collar.
I have NEVER been called for duty. I don't think I'd mind.

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2002, 11:01 AM

Sounds to me like this guy asked for what he got! There are better ways to explain your situation than to send an invoice, which implies that you're more important than the legal system.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2002, 11:04 AM

I love the Judge's reply.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2002, 11:09 AM

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."
-Thomas Jefferson

fulmer
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2002, 11:12 AM

we get a lot, and it isn't unreasonable to put back a little sometimes. some service here and there on a jury, maybe military if that is your thing, etc. That guy is just selfish. It's as if people no longer feel shame about their actions.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2002, 11:15 AM

What an idiot, sending a bill in was not going to be perceived as a good will step if he wanted the courts to be accommodating to his circumstances. He doesn't deserve jail time but I hope he gets fined for being such an ass.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Aug 13, 2002, 01:18 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; May 3, 2004 at 11:25 AM. )

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2002, 03:05 PM

Yeah, I can relate to anyone who doesn't want their business interrupted, but this guy is downright arrogant. It's one thing to say "My presence at work is essential - please take this into consideration", and another to say "The public owes me $100 an hour for jury duty". One is left with the impression that he is more concerned with his personal earnings than with the continuity of the business itself, as if his $100/hr is more important than Joe Blow's $15/hr. And to send an invoice to the judge - this guy is definitely in the running for Jerk of the Year.

I say let him off jury duty (he'd make a lousy juror anyway) and fine him $16,800, to be split among the jurors who actually serve. Hit him where it really hurts - his checkbook.

I'm in favor of capitalism but too many people forget that it's an economic model, not a political or social model. They think that everything else in life revolves around it. Individuals and corporations have civic obligations in addition to business obligations.

Ca$h68
Banned
Aug 13, 2002, 03:16 PM

Personally I thought the guy was pretty creative, inventive, sarcastic, and funny. It'd have been cool if they paid him. Heh.

- Ca$h

mchladek
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2002, 06:34 PM

Hehe ... that's a pretty funny story! I don't think that guy understands the US justice system or public service too well. I think a could course of action for the Judge would be to say, 'OK! You don't have to serve on the jury. However, if you ever have a run in with the law you will not be allowed to have a jury of your peers and I will solely decide your guilt/innocence.' It would be pretty funny to see what he'd have to say to that

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2002, 06:37 PM

Originally posted by fulmer:
we get a lot, and it isn't unreasonable to put back a little sometimes. some service here and there on a jury, maybe military if that is your thing, etc. That guy is just selfish. It's as if people no longer feel shame about their actions.
Many folks don't. Sadly.

Some of the current generation makes the "me" generation look like philanthropists.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2002, 06:41 PM

Originally posted by mchladek:
Hehe ... that's a pretty funny story! I don't think that guy understands the US justice system or public service too well. I think a could course of action for the Judge would be to say, 'OK! You don't have to serve on the jury. However, if you ever have a run in with the law you will not be allowed to have a jury of your peers and I will solely decide your guilt/innocence.' It would be pretty funny to see what he'd have to say to that
Or as his punishment force him to sit through and pass a college level civics or political science course.

(Zigzag ... I loved your reply ... well stated.)

Forum Links
Forum Rules