Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > unlock your inner savant

unlock your inner savant
Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2002, 01:48 PM

Just saw this interesting article about autistic savants. The intersection of perception and computation is very interesting to me. How do people just compute in their head? Draw what they see. How does learning to draw differ from those who just "report" what they see, almost like a photocopier?

In my experience so many people are convinced about things they can't do, so it's particularly odd then to run across the example of savants who can't do many "normal" things but can do "extraordinary" things. Makes you want to redefine "normal", dunnit? Take a look.

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2002, 02:23 PM

Nephew. Autistic (upgraded and downgraded from PDD to Aspberger's periodically, depending on what genius is examining him at the time). Photographic memory, ability to compute the most insane shite in his head. He says the answers are just there- he goes through no process, like his subconciousness is taking care of it. He has no ability to project, no ability to decode and his comprehension isn't. He can read aloud to you, but he cannot tell you what it is that he just read or what it means. When reading to himself, he cannot put the images together into a cohesive theme- can't run the movie in his head, if you will.
His memory for events is astonishing. The detail... the detail. He can relay it ALL to you, but he does not know what it all means.
Absolutely fascinating. I don't consider it tragic, it is just his world.
Thanks for the article.

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Apr 4, 2002, 05:51 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Apr 25, 2004 at 01:20 AM. )

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2002, 06:01 PM

Thanks for the article. Really is amazing. And I agree -- not tragic at all.

MikeM32
Banned
Location: "Joisey" Home of the "Guido" and chicks with "Big Hair"
Apr 4, 2002, 06:35 PM

That's an interresting topic. As an artist I believe I was born with a talent. But it's the argument between talent and acquired skill that many refute. I've heard it said that "anyone can learn how to draw/act/write/dance/sing" etc. etc.

I hate to sound like a "snob" but I believe I was born with an ability to draw, something that cannot be "learned". Am I a "better" artist because of that? That's completely subjective, but it's what I was meant to do.

I can totally relate to the lack of certain social skills as a young man because I'd literally lock myself away in my room and do nothing but draw and create. I had my first animated movie and graphic novel penned-out by the age of 13.

Sadly the "real world" has a tendency of crushing those visions.

Mike

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Apr 4, 2002, 06:45 PM

mike... he said autistic, not artistic.

-r.

MikeM32
Banned
Location: "Joisey" Home of the "Guido" and chicks with "Big Hair"
Apr 4, 2002, 06:51 PM

Originbally posted bgy rjenkinson:
mike... he said autistic, not artistic
Actually that's a good topic in and of itself, but yes I did mis-read the title (duh).

I'm told now that I had A.D.D. (attention deficit disorder) as a kid, so maybe there's a relation.

There's always a certain level of madness involved in the creative types. It's what makes us interresting.

Mike

eep!
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2002, 07:49 PM

It's a fine line between madman and genius.

i think i'd like a photographic memory, i can remember the most inane crap, but the important stuff gets lost somewhere between receptors and storage, if you know what i mean.

haven't read the article just yet, so i'll get back to it.

OT: mike, what were your graphic novel (it's a comic book goddammit!!! ) and animated film about? (if you don't mind my asking, that is)

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2002, 08:39 PM

Originally posted by eep!:
<STRONG>It's a fine line between madman and genius.</STRONG>
And a fine line between artistic and autistic.

If I do arty stuff I switch off and tap into something subconcious. It just flows. Like magic.

OK, bad cheesy magic, but...

KaptainKaya
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2002, 08:50 PM

Originally posted by Face Ache:
<STRONG>

And a fine line between artistic and autistic.

If I do arty stuff I switch off and tap into something subconcious. It just flows. Like magic.

OK, bad cheesy magic, but... </STRONG>

kinda reminds me when I light up to do a project

Sven G
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2002, 06:21 AM

I think it's simply amazing what the human mind can do when it is free and "relaxed": perhaps artists (and "autists": BTW, in Italian "autista" also means driver/chauffeur - interesting analogy...) are simply an expression of what, potentially, everyone could be (without negative side effects, of course) in a more free, open and democratic society...

[ 04-05-2002: Message edited by: Sven G ]

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2002, 04:56 PM

Originally posted by KaptainKaya:
<STRONG>

kinda reminds me when I light up to do a project </STRONG>
this waiter i used to talk to while hanging out at a dennys a few years back swears he smoked his way through every paper he had to write for his masters degree in history. we're talking ****ed up topics like "batallion 543's role in the battle of bla bla in northwest france in 1947". maybe weed is the secret to unlocking the secret talents of autism?

clRagnarok
Forum Regular
Apr 5, 2002, 07:57 PM

weed is the secret to everything.
c l R a g n a r o k

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2002, 08:33 PM

Originally posted by scaught:
<STRONG>

this waiter i used to talk to while hanging out at a dennys a few years back swears he smoked his way through every paper he had to write for his masters degree in history. we're talking ****ed up topics like "batallion 543's role in the battle of bla bla in northwest france in 1947". maybe weed is the secret to unlocking the secret talents of autism?</STRONG>
No dude, because you were talking to a waiter not a history professor.

Timo  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2002, 12:48 AM

OK so pot turned our history prof into a waiter ... any other secrets for turning on the creative tap?

Cipher13
Apr 9, 2002, 10:09 AM

Originally posted by Sven G:
<STRONG>I think it's simply amazing what the human mind can do when it is free and "relaxed": perhaps artists (and "autists": BTW, in Italian "autista" also means driver/chauffeur - interesting analogy...) are simply an expression of what, potentially, everyone could be (without negative side effects, of course) in a more free, open and democratic society...

[ 04-05-2002: Message edited by: Sven G ]</STRONG>
It's a phase of human evolution; an experiment of nature, if you will.

As are those who posess pyrokinetic, telekenitic, telepathic and psychic powers, and whatnot; if any of those exist, at the current time, to any great extent; which I believe they do.

The brain is waking up.

It is capable of anything; and when we can harness that, well, wow. Just wow.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2002, 10:20 AM

Originally posted by Timo:
<STRONG>OK so pot turned our history prof into a waiter ... any other secrets for turning on the creative tap?</STRONG>
well. he actually ended up being the museum curator at the wright patterson air force base, but whatever.

Too Much Coffee Woman
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 9, 2002, 10:21 AM

Originally posted by Face Ache:
<STRONG>No dude, because you were talking to a waiter not a history professor. </STRONG>
oh my god! that is so funny.....i'm still laughing (it's like 5 minutes later)

Forum Links
Forum Rules