Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Finally: OS X drivers for HP5300cse scanner

Finally: OS X drivers for HP5300cse scanner
Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2002, 04:47 PM

( Last edited by Timo; Oct 28, 2002 at 05:32 PM. )

Timo  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2002, 05:19 PM

ARGGH!

It's only for OS X 10.1.3 - 10.1.5, not Jaguar!

Timo  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2002, 03:56 PM

I can tell y'all are hangin' on my every word, so I'll continue.

macfixit.com reports,
Despite warning, HP's new 5300 driver works with Mac OS X 10.2.x
Despite a message on Hewlett Packard's Web site stating "This software web download includes support for Mac OS X 10.1.3 - 10.1.5. This release does not include support for Jaguar (OS X 10.2)," the newly released HP 5300 Series Scanner driver functions well under Mac OS X 10.2.x.

However, as Stephen Hart points out, the new driver causes some unexpected glitches when running Classic:

"One problem I found is that the software cannot 'see' the scanner once Classic is started. Quitting Classic does not solve the problem. A log out/log in makes the software work again, indicating that there's a problem with HP ScanJet Manager, a login item."
I did not find this true. After downloading a 56MB file, I get "scanner not found."

PeteWK
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 6, 2002, 02:02 AM

Yep. I have that same scanner and I now have 5 Epson Printers.

PeteWK

passmaster16
Senior User
Nov 8, 2002, 01:38 AM

I noticed that HP has removed the 5400 from the support matrix. Does this mean they are not going to support it? Right now I got a big HP paperweight sitting on my desk.

Musicus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2002, 05:06 PM

Originally posted by Timo:
Take a look:
http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/softwar...20X&sw_lang=en
Well, it worked for me: brought my 5300C back from the dead in OS X 10.2.1 (but I haven't tried it in Classic).

passmaster16
Senior User
Nov 9, 2002, 06:32 PM

Just to follow up on my HP5400 remark, I received a message back from HP concerning the 5400 series:

We apologize for the confusion. The ScanJet 5400 series is indeed slated to be supported with Mac OS X 10.1, though the aforementioned webpage does not indicate that. We should have that particular model back up on the site shortly as a to-be-supported product.

As to a specific date, none has been given yet, however we expect that it will be released with or around the same time as the 4400 series.

Forum Links
Forum Rules