Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > ATA/133 drive in iMac 350?

ATA/133 drive in iMac 350?
PeteWK
Grizzled Veteran
May 19, 2004, 12:14 AM

Hello all. I'm thinking of putting an ATA/133 Maxtor hard drive in a 350 iMac. I'm wondering if it can be done? Will the ATA interface work with the newer, faster drive? I've searched OWC's website and they sell ATA 133 drives under the iMac 350-700 heading so...

PeteWK

CaseCom
Professional Poster
May 19, 2004, 03:19 AM

It should work fine. Faster ATA drives are backwards-compatible with slower ATA buses, which in your case would be either ATA/33 or ATA/66, not sure which. You just won't get the benefit of the added speed.

discotronic
Mac Elite
May 19, 2004, 10:13 AM

No worries. I put a new Maxtor ATA/133 in an iMac 350 just a few days ago. It runs like a dream.

PeteWK  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 19, 2004, 12:46 PM

Great, thanks. I'll give it a go. I'm wondering if the entire 160 gig will be usable, though. I guess I'll find out soon.

PeteWK

discotronic
Mac Elite
May 19, 2004, 01:28 PM

I don't think the iMac will recognize the entire amount. If I'm not mistaken it will recognize 128GB. I'm not sure how that would work if you partition it though.

CaseCom
Professional Poster
May 19, 2004, 01:42 PM

With the older ATA bus you'll probably top out at 128 gigs. If you're the adventurous type, try this driver from Intech; it's supposed to allow the use of larger ATA drives on G3 Macs, including iMacs. I haven't used it myself, and you might want to ask around to see how it's worked for others. Check out http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/

PeteWK  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 19, 2004, 01:48 PM

Originally posted by CaseCom:
With the older ATA bus you'll probably top out at 128 gigs. If you're the adventurous type, try this driver from Intech; it's supposed to allow the use of larger ATA drives on G3 Macs, including iMacs. I haven't used it myself, and you might want to ask around to see how it's worked for others. Check out http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/

Thanks but I think I'll stick with whatever it gives me. I've read both 128 and 137. The startup info looked like 128 with the rest going to the under-system. In any case, this drive is replacing one of the 6 gig Quantum drives that must have been 5400 rpm. This one is a Maxtor (I know, I know) 160 gig with 8 mb of cache at 7200 rpm. I got it for 90 bucks at Staples for my friends iMac. I put in the 9.2 disk and away it's going (even as I write on my G4 Powerbook).

Thanks for the help.

PeteWK

PeteWK  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 19, 2004, 02:07 PM

Well, it's all done and running great. It took me all of 15 minutes to put the operating system on. Long live Macs!

The drive is listed as 137.42 gig for size and 128 gig for capacity. I could have purchased a smaller drive but this one was only 89.99 at Staples and the 120 gig drive was 119.99. There was a sale.

PeteWK

Forum Links
Forum Rules