Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > New study shows the different worlds in which Dems and Reps live.

New study shows the different worlds in which Dems and Reps live.
Krusty
Professional Poster
Oct 22, 2004, 06:27 PM

Originally printed in This Study on Oct 21. '04. Finding #3 is fairly interesting in light of finding #1
1. Iraq, WMD, and al Qaeda
A large majority of Bush supporters believe that before the war Iraq had weapons of mass destruction or a major program for building them. A substantial majority of Bush supporters assume that most experts believe Iraq had WMD and that this was the conclusion of the recently released report by Charles Duelfer. A large majority of Bush supporters believes that Iraq was providing substantial support to al Qaeda and that clear evidence of this support has been found. A large majority believes that most experts also have this view, and a substantial majority believe that this was the conclusion of the 9/11 Commission. Large majorities of Kerry supporters believe the opposite on all these points.

2. What the Bush Administration is Saying About Pre-War Iraq
Large majorities of Bush and Kerry supporters agree that the Bush administration is saying that Iraq had WMD and was providing substantial support to al Qaeda. In regard to WMD, these majorities are growing.

3. The Decision to Go to War
Majorities of Bush supporters and Kerry supporters agree that if Iraq did not have WMD or was not providing support to al Qaeda, the US should not have gone to war with Iraq.

4. World Public Opinion on the Iraq War and George Bush�s Reelection
Only three in ten Bush supporters believe that the majority of people in the world oppose the US going to war with Iraq, while an overwhelming majority of Kerry supporters have this view. A majority of Bush supporters assume that the majority of people in the world would like to see Bush reelected, while a large majority of Kerry supporters believe the opposite. Bush supporters also lean toward overestimating support in Islamic countries for US-led efforts to fight terrorism, while Kerry supporters do not

5. Candidates� Foreign Policy Positions
Majorities of Bush supporters misperceive his positions on a range of foreign policy issues. In particular they assume he supports multilateral approaches and addressing global warming when he has taken strong contrary positions on issues such as the International Criminal court and the Kyoto Agreement. A majority of Kerry supporters have accurate perceptions of Kerry positions on the same issues.

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2004, 07:00 PM

Originally posted by Krusty:
Originally printed in This Study on Oct 21. '04. Finding #3 is fairly interesting in light of finding #1
"A large majority of Bush supporters believe that before the war Iraq had weapons of mass destruction or a major program for building them."

I believe there was sufficient doubt and I believe we had several other reasons to justify invasion.

Oil
Shown to be a danger to Israel
Had gassed it's own people
Was constantly committing human rights violations
Was a threat to invade it's arab neighbors
Had intentions of developing WMD's
Ignored almost a dozen UN resolutions
Went under the table to escape the full force of UN sanctions
Supported terrorism
Tried to assassinate the former President's whole family
Would have used the first opportunity to offer real support to terrorists after the start of the WOT and...
Did NOT have a nuclear weapon

"A large majority of Bush supporters believes that Iraq was providing substantial support to al Qaeda and that clear evidence of this support has been found."

I believe Saddam's payments to terrorist families was a signal to the terrorist world of his openness to supporting their further efforts. I believe the terrorist groups operating within Iraq did so with his implicit consent. I believe as the WOT heated up the ties between him and terrorist groups would have solidified. It would only have taken a moment and a phone call.

In the NYT article excerpt here we see an example of what might have happened not in Iraq, but elsewhere, on another battlefield in the WOT, had he not been deposed.

"Only half the estimated $1 billion the Hussein government put in Syrian banks before the war has been recovered, Pentagon officials said. There is no tally of money flowing through Syria to Iraq from wealthy Saudis or Islamic charities, but a Pentagon official said the figure is "significant."

Unclassified assessments by some private analysts have recently sounded some of the same warnings. This week, the International Institute for Strategic Studies in London, in releasing its annual global military survey, said perhaps 1,000 Islamic jihadists have entered Iraq to join the fight, and it estimated that it would take five years for the American military to prepare Iraqi forces to take over fully from the forces of the United States and its allies."
Consider these posts as my way of introducing you to yourself.

Proud "SMACKDOWN!!" and "Golden Troll" Award Winner.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Oct 22, 2004, 07:50 PM

This is the third time you have posted push polls from this group.

Krusty  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 22, 2004, 08:00 PM

Originally posted by SimeyTheLimey:

What "push group" ? I found the link embedded at electoral-vote.com. I have no knowledge of, or particular interest in the PIPA/U. of Maryland group that posted this study.

Nicko
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2004, 08:49 AM

Yet another insightful comment from simey

Mithras
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2004, 09:03 AM

"I'm a Liberal, and I Hate That Poll."

Seriously, this is a totally one-sided, non-scientific, non-objective poll. As others have noted, every question is one which has the truth cooincide with a more left-wing worldview. As much of a liberal as I am, I have to admit that there are plenty of cases where the truth cooincides with a more right-wing worldview.

They should have controlled for that by also asking
(a) non-partisan loaded questions, like "Where is China?" or "Name three foreign leaders"
(b) right-wing tilted questions, like "Was the UN Oil-for-food program corrupt?" or "Did Bush arrange for secret flights for the bin Ladens on September 12?", which would expose falsehoods that liberals believe.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2004, 11:44 AM

This one looks as flawed as the previous one due to liberally biased questions.

Forum Links
Forum Rules