Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Outlook 822 & OE502

Outlook 822 & OE502
iYeat
Jun 25, 2000, 12:36 PM

Does anyone know about running Outlook 822 exchange server edition and Outlook Express 502 on the same machine? I would like to do this but I'm not sure what it will mess up. Any ideas?

"My software never has bugs. It merely develops random, undocumented features."
-Anonymous

mgforres
Jun 28, 2000, 11:02 AM

No problem. I use both on the same machine.

MrTomServo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 28, 2000, 11:39 AM

Sure. There's no conflict between the two. It's sort of annoying to check two email programs, but they both work fine.

Some people have had problems with Outlook 8.2.2, but that's likely because it was as bad a port to the Mac as Word 6 was. Same process. Ech.

There's also a way to import your Exchange Server address book (the address book for your company, for example) into Outlook Express, if you're interested. There are instructions at:
http://www.macemail.com/oe/pages/tips_tricks/LDAP.shtml

Enjoy!

Robert

MacNN Member of the Day: 28 June 2001, 7 July 2001

JoeEgo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2000, 01:46 PM

There should be no problem at all. Each one uses completely different methods/mechanisms to handle mailboxes and server connections. You cannot even connect to a POP or IMAP server with 8.2.2, though some of us (and the Windows version does) would like to. You only need to be concerned about having enough RAM to run both clients -- note that I'm only half-joking.
---Joe
---Joe

MickeyMoo
Jun 28, 2000, 02:45 PM

You can also configure Outlook Express to retrieve mail from an Exchange server and subscribe to subfolders linked to that account. You should set it up as an IMAP client to the IP address of the Exchange Server.

Forum Links
Forum Rules