Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Kidnapped co-ed made it up

Kidnapped co-ed made it up
ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 2, 2004, 01:05 PM

http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/sto...ldflok=NW_5-L1

WHy the hell didn't this girl say she just wanted to be alone instead of making up this story and wasting everyone's time? Ignorant twit.
Nemo me impune lacesset

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 2, 2004, 01:09 PM

Tiwanna Brawley (sp?) syndrome.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2004, 01:25 PM

B***h.
( Last edited by Demonhood; Apr 2, 2004 at 03:00 PM. )
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

ghotirking
Apr 2, 2004, 01:37 PM

What a ****.
Hopefully they'll prosecute her.
( Last edited by Demonhood; Apr 2, 2004 at 03:01 PM. )

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2004, 01:42 PM

Originally posted by ghotirking:
What a ****.
Hopefully they'll prosecute her.
I'm sure they will...

She must have major issues...
( Last edited by Demonhood; Apr 2, 2004 at 03:01 PM. )

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2004, 01:43 PM

Uh, what article did you read? The one you linked to didn't say anything of the sort, although it implied that things might not be so clear as they were thought to be.

busket68
Banned
Apr 2, 2004, 01:56 PM

I'm from Madison, and this just ****ing pisses me off. They shut down one of the cities MAIN routes to get from the east to west side (the city is on an isthmus), so it was a GIGANTIC pain in the ass. The reason? They were looking for her 'pretend' kidnapper. They had I don't know HOW many cops, helicopters with IR cams, and all sorts of **** combing the area for this 'pretend kidnapper'.

Then, if that wasn't enough, the next few days we get all this **** on the news about how we have to be careful, about "poor women, we're always abused this, and poor women, we're raped and treated like **** by men, and all men are potential rapists, and if you're a man you are evil, bla bla bla bla"

Tonight, I'm going to email EVERY ****ing news station in the city DEMANDING they NOW do a story on 'fake' rapes, where a woman makes up that she was raped, kidnapped, or has CONSENTUAL sex with someone, THEN decides it was a bad idea and calls hte guy a rapist.

What a ****ing b****.

- Ca$h
( Last edited by Demonhood; Apr 2, 2004 at 03:02 PM. )

busket68
Banned
Apr 2, 2004, 01:57 PM

PS: She also scared the crap out of the whole city. Thanks you stupid whore. Also another thanks for wasting...oh.. $300,000+ of tax payer money because you wanted attention.

GOSH DARNIT. What a b****.
( Last edited by Demonhood; Apr 2, 2004 at 03:02 PM. )

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2004, 01:59 PM

Originally posted by wataru:
Uh, what article did you read? The one you linked to didn't say anything of the sort, although it implied that things might not be so clear as they were thought to be.
Yeah, I got the same outdated story. Try this link:

http://www.jsonline.com/news/state/apr04/219212.asp

Basically, after police confronted her with inconsistencies in her story and physical evidence that contradicted her story, she now says she was abducted not from in front of her apartment building but from somewhere else in Madison. As to why she left her apartment, all we know is she said she wanted to "be alone."
( Last edited by CaseCom; Apr 2, 2004 at 02:04 PM. )

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2004, 02:02 PM

Thank you! Finally these rants make sense.

I live a block away from where she originally claimed to have been kidnapped. I guess I'm too apathetic to care that much about any of this, though.
( Last edited by wataru; Apr 2, 2004 at 02:16 PM. )

ThinkInsane  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 2, 2004, 02:04 PM

Originally posted by wataru:
My bad. I saw the story on the noon news, and then just quick looked for a link to add, to prevent the inevitable "linkage please?". I still haven't figured out how to link television and print media. The article I linked seemed to fit the bill, but I guess I should have actually read it first. My apologies.

Nemo me impune lacesset

velodev
Senior User
Apr 2, 2004, 02:06 PM

Wow, looks like we found the newest trend.

First, him Zubair Ghias

Now her...

ThinkInsane  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 2, 2004, 02:07 PM

Originally posted by CaseCom:
Yeah, I got the same outdated story. Try this link:

http://www.jsonline.com/news/state/apr04/219212.asp

Basically, after police confronted her with inconsistencies in her story and physical evidence that contradicted her story, she now says she was abducted not from in front of her apartment building but from somewhere else in Madison. As to why she left her apartment, all we know is she said she wanted to "be alone."
What I saw on the news said that police were now discounting the entire abduction story, but maybe what they had wasn't the most accurate information. I guess we'll just have to keep watching for further developments.
Nemo me impune lacesset

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2004, 02:13 PM

Weeeee
( Last edited by OptimusG4; Apr 2, 2004 at 02:29 PM. )
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

Demonhood
Administrator
Apr 2, 2004, 02:26 PM

please keep the inflammatory language to a minimum please.

everyone has about half an hour to edit their posts before i do it myself.

djohnson
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2004, 02:26 PM

quandarry
Apr 2, 2004, 02:38 PM

don't be soooo quick to judge...we know nothing of this girl. perhaps she needs professional help...maybe she's walking on the edge...sanity can be very fleeting for some people...

manic depression and other serious illnesses cause pain for millions of sufferers and their families every second of every minute of every hour of every day of their lives.

i'm glad y'all are normal and healthy here tho.

it's the sly bitch's that cry rape on some poor innocent sucka that you should hold out your hate to.

ps...would this have been as big of a story if she wasn't white? after all these kinds of things are very common, they just don't make headlines...why is this one so special?

hmmmmm?

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2004, 03:12 PM

update: Police say she made it up and have called off the search for the kidnapper.

MADISON, WIS. -- College student Audrey Seiler acknowledged that she was not abducted from her apartment, police said today, and investigators called off the search for a suspect in the case.

"We do not believe there is a suspect at large, period," assistant police chief Noble Wray told reporters this afternoon. His remarks came during the second press briefing of the day on the case, in which police revealed some "inconsistencies" in the case.

Seiler, 20, of Rockford, Minn., is enrolled at the University of Wisconsin in Madison. She had claimed that a man abducted her at knifepoint and held her before she was found unharmed in a marsh earlier this week.

Seiler told police that her abductor had used a number of items against her, including cold medicine, tape, rope and a knife. Officers found those items at the scene where she was found, Wray said, which initially lent credence to her story.

Upon further investigation, however, police found a videotape that showed Seiler buying the items herself at a store.

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2004, 03:19 PM

Silly <insert choice swear word from above posts>

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2004, 03:25 PM

young trophy wife, in the parlance of our times.... (cue 'fad)

faragbre967
Senior User
Apr 2, 2004, 04:37 PM

Can this girl get in trouble for doing this? Assuming she lied about the whole thing, I would wanna see her fry for wasting that much of my time, and that much of everyone's money.

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2004, 04:54 PM

Originally posted by faragbre967:
Can this girl get in trouble for doing this? Assuming she lied about the whole thing, I would wanna see her fry for wasting that much of my time, and that much of everyone's money.
How, specifically, was your time wasted?
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2004, 04:55 PM

She should be made to pay the costs of looking for her. If it was 300,000 then she should be made to pay that back to the city.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2004, 05:55 PM

I'm pretty sure filing a false police report is a crime. And the severity of the punishment for that crime probably depends on the severity of the false report. At any rate, she should be punished somehow. Fined, community service, etc. She wasted a ton of resources and had the whole city/town frightened that there was a kidnapper on the loose.

At the very least she's got some really bad karma mojo coming her way.

GK
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 2, 2004, 06:13 PM

malvolio
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2004, 06:46 PM

From one article:
Ryan Fisher, Seiler's boyfriend, did not notice any signs that Seiler was unhappy or having problems, his brother David told the AP.

"He didn't see this coming. But he says he loves her and wants to be there for her," David Fisher said.
Yup, Love is blind.

/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

wolfen
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2004, 07:47 PM

Originally posted by quandarry:
ps...would this have been as big of a story if she wasn't white? after all these kinds of things are very common, they just don't make headlines...why is this one so special?

hmmmmm?
I think you're right. That's what pissed me off about those child abduction cases in California last couple years. Pretty white blonde girl gets abducted -- it's a manhunt. Poor, unattractive black girl goes missing? CNN won't cover it.

This really upsets me when I see it.

wolfen
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2004, 07:49 PM

Dumb b*tch!
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2004, 08:09 PM

Originally posted by busket68:
PS: She also scared the crap out of the whole city. Thanks you stupid whore. Also another thanks for wasting...oh.. $300,000+ of tax payer money because you wanted attention.

GOSH DARNIT. What a b****.
eh- only $70k, per the mayor's office. And there's no provision in state law to allow them to sue to get the $ back.

ThinkInsane  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 2, 2004, 08:13 PM

CNN is reporting that some rather strange search queries where found on here computer. Things like "remote wooded locations Madison" and such. They also reported that the police are now reevaluating the report she filed last month in which she claimed someone had attacked her from behind, knocked her unconscious, and moved her a block down the street (nothing stolen, just moved to a new location).
Nemo me impune lacesset

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2004, 08:22 PM

I, personally, would like to thank her for giving us all such good water-cooler material!!

Vader�s Pinch of Death
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 2, 2004, 08:23 PM

I knew it was ******** the second I read about it. Who leaves there apartment door open when they leave? Also I bet the story of her getting hit over the head and moved a while ago is also bull.

Stupid woman... no.... girl!

"If it's broke, you choke."

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2004, 09:30 PM

Originally posted by ThinkInsane:
http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/sto...ldflok=NW_5-L1

WHy the hell didn't this girl say she just wanted to be alone instead of making up this story and wasting everyone's time? Ignorant twit.
living in minnesota i have seen this story for the past week...the fact that it was made up makes me sick..i feel sorry because something is wrong with her if she would do this...i hope she gets some help but she should also be punished for it. the police could have been out doing real police work instead of dealing with this bs.

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Rain
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 2, 2004, 09:48 PM

Originally posted by Vader�s Pinch of Death:
Stupid woman... no.... girl!
Girls aren't stupid either.

She's just stupid. period.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2004, 09:49 PM

Its not like the police there had anything better to do. This week was the highlight of their year. But I don't see how people could have not thought this was a hoax. The odds of her getting mugged and then kidnapped in two weeks time in Madison are pretty low. They had her boyfriend already I am sure there weren't many more suspects, she was even too fugly for scanner Dan to stalk her.

I just figured she was some psycho chick who fell though the ice.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

busket68
Banned
Apr 2, 2004, 10:08 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by quandarry:
don't be soooo quick to judge...we know nothing of this girl. perhaps she needs professional help...maybe she's walking on the edge...sanity can be very fleeting for some people...

manic depression and other serious illnesses cause pain for millions of sufferers and their families every second of every minute of every hour of every day of their lives.
[/QUOTE

Big ****ing deal. She cost Madison in excess of 200 grand. And scared everybody that there was a psycho on the loose.

hmmmmm?
It's not that she's white.. it's that madison is SUPPOSEDLY a very safe city, and that she was an attractive 4.0 gpa girl. There was another girl that went missing from Vi Turbo in La Crosse, and hte media didn't care because she was ugly. Basically, the media realizes sex sells, so if an attractive woman is missing, they jump on it. If it's an ugly woman, or a male, they don't give a ****.

- Ca$h

busket68
Banned
Apr 2, 2004, 10:09 PM

Originally posted by ::maroma:::
I'm pretty sure filing a false police report is a crime. And the severity of the punishment for that crime probably depends on the severity of the false report. At any rate, she should be punished somehow. Fined, community service, etc. She wasted a ton of resources and had the whole city/town frightened that there was a kidnapper on the loose.

At the very least she's got some really bad karma mojo coming her way.
How about this idea? She's FORCED into prositution, and she has to whore herself out to make back the money. That'd be some irony. Seriously though, what a BITCH. Talk about scaring the crap out of this town.

- Ca$h

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2004, 10:13 PM

Originally posted by Captain Obvious:
.....she was even too fugly for scanner Dan to stalk her.

I just figured she was some psycho chick who fell though the ice.
Wow. I didn't know that scanner Dan was that well known outside of town.

busket68
Banned
Apr 2, 2004, 10:22 PM

Also: She claimed she was abducted with duct tape, cough syrup, gum, and some other things. They have a video of her buying those things at a hardware store.

- Ca$h

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2004, 10:29 PM

It's not that she's white.. it's that madison is SUPPOSEDLY a very safe city, and that she was an attractive 4.0 gpa girl. There was another girl that went missing from Vi Turbo in La Crosse, and hte media didn't care because she was ugly. Basically, the media realizes sex sells, so if an attractive woman is missing, they jump on it. If it's an ugly woman, or a male, they don't give a ****.

- Ca$h
Attractive 4.0 gpa girls are always the nuttiest of the bunch. They seem normal enough and usually even fool their boyfriends for a period of time... and then, all of the sudden....

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2004, 11:43 PM

I have to agree 100% with Awaspaas on this one.
"These girls" can seem totally normal, then BAM! Wacko city.
I've dated girls like this. Went with this really well read, smart girl for a while. Parents both from London, but raised in US (so she had this really subtle but hot accent). She was brilliant, a looker and quite a vixen, too (a total spinner if you know what I mean). Then, one day after about two weeks worth of her bitching at me, I learn she's manic depressive and not handling her lithium well any longer. She began getting really moody and mean. I tucked tail and ran.
My wife, a (former) 3.2 GPA student - totally normal.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2004, 12:02 AM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
I have to agree 100% with Awaspaas on this one.
"These girls" can seem totally normal, then BAM! Wacko city.
Tell me about it - I've got a 4.0/female in my ap english class and she'll say something brilliant then rip heads off... psycho.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Apr 3, 2004, 12:03 AM

This story is just crazy...much like the girl...

BoulderDash
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 3, 2004, 12:05 AM

Hey there,
As a Badger alumni myself, I think it's real bad when someone takes such advantage of a caring public... in any town. However, the Madison Police Department has a long way to go when dealing with cases such as this one. Perhaps they should have calmly taken even more time with this so as not to look as juvenile and petty as they did in 1997 (for those of you unfamiliar with Madison Police Department):

The Capital Times: Six years later, it's her turn

The Capital Times: Justice for Patty: Man guilty of rape

Hopefully they've done their due diligence in terminating this search. And if they have... she should be prosecuted for making false statements to the Madison Police Department (unless she does have some sort of mental defect).

BD

quandarry
Apr 3, 2004, 09:46 AM

Also: She claimed she was abducted with duct tape, cough syrup, gum, and some other things. They have a video of her buying those things at a hardware store.

- Ca$h
that was her evil twin!

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2004, 10:44 AM

I can only think of 3 things that could have led her to do this�

Drugs�she wanted to get high in the woods.

Break-up�her boyfriend dumped her or someone close passed away.

Pycho�she's a nutjob.

Forum Links
Forum Rules