Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > gah, 15inch screen blues

gah, 15inch screen blues
jshizzle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2005, 06:19 PM

I've had my titanium powerbook for a bit and its practically in pristine condition. However, lately the screen has been acting up and it makes a hissing sound. The screen seems to degauss/staticky, to the point where I can't see a thing unless it occassionally stops and clears up. I now have to hook it up to an external display and the screen (external) works perfectly normal. The screen is not marked at all and does not have any dead pixels or white spots that I know of. I have no idea what to do , help will be much appreciated.

josh

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 26, 2005, 06:22 PM

I hope you have AppleCare...

jshizzle  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2005, 06:24 PM

no, its 2 months past the expiration

idk if i have to get a new graphics card, or what

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 27, 2005, 12:51 AM

Its either the screen or the logic board... each of which is a $600-1000 part.

jshizzle  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2005, 10:34 PM

when the apple start screen appears, its is fine, but as soon as its done loading, it gets screwy again. its running tiger, so i'm not sure if thats doing nething to it.

i'll prob install panther again, idk. please, i need help

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 28, 2005, 06:41 AM

are you sure it only started doing it since tiger? sounds like a pretty arbitrary problem if the upgrage from panther to tiger is affecting the screen, especially in a way like that... :O
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

jshizzle  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2005, 07:02 PM

well, i had an issue with my icurve. One day, it fell off the icurve while i was getting it ready to put it in its case, so there is a small dent on the top left corner. It seems to me that the lcd is not the problem if it works fine at start up, nor does it seem that the logic board is at fault. However, i could most definately be wrong because i am not a computer expert by any stretch of the imagination. Gah, this is most troublesome

JKT
Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2005, 07:51 PM

Try holding down the shift key as you boot the machine so that it boots in Safe Mode (all third party kexts and drivers are disabled). If that helps then there is a software conflict caused by some third party extension added to the system. If not, then it is likely to be a software/hardware problem specific to the Mac.

jshizzle  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2005, 03:44 PM

i tried it today, and it doesn't seem to work. When i hold the shift key down, it just gets worse and nothing displays on the ext. display. I think i'll just wipe the hard drive clean with 10.2 today, if that doesn't work i have no idea what to do

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2005, 11:12 PM

I went through the software thing also; half the screen was messed up. Fortunately I had 3 or 4 days before the 1 year warranty ran out and took it in to an Apple store. To make a long story short after they tried 3 times to repair it they replaced my 1.0 Ghz 17" with a new 1.5 Ghz 17", which has behaved flawlessly after 1 year to this day. I was lucky I had 3 days left and Apple honored my contract. If it shows up flawlessly on an exterior screen my take is it is a hardware problem.

Forum Links
Forum Rules