Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > What the CRAP

What the CRAP
habibman
Dec 2, 2005, 09:45 PM

So I just returned a perfectly perfect set of Bose speakers only to come home and discover it wasn't the speakers, it was my goddamn less than one-month old powerbook that was causing the right speaker to sound poorly. So now, not only is my battery worthless, not only do my hinges creak, not only do i get poor air-port reception, but my sound card/right speaker is not working properly. Can somone explain to me what is going on??? Is this what happens when you finally switch to Apple?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2005, 09:54 PM

Sounds like you got a lemon... have you called AppleCare? Taken it to a Genius at an Apple Store?

f1000
Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2005, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by habibman
So now, not only is my battery worthless, not only do my hinges creak, not only do i get poor air-port reception, but my sound card/right speaker is not working properly. Can somone explain to me what is going on???
Have you checked System Preferences -> Sound -> Output -> Balance?

Dewaine
Dec 2, 2005, 11:26 PM

"Is this what happens when you finally switch to Apple?"

I would suggests that perhaps a Mac is not for you. Sell it and get a Dell. Then you will have your choice of several forums where they praise the perfect performance and constructions of their Wintel boxes.

Dewaine
Dec 2, 2005, 11:42 PM

Before I am flamed, let me state that I switched from Win to Mac about 4 months ago.

I realize there are "lemons" from any manufacturer of any product.

But to suggest that this is "what happens when you finally switch to Apple?" is absurd. I, and I would wager thousands of others, are amazed and giddy with the stability and quailty of a Mac over the sh*t from Microsoft/Intel I have bought over the last 15 years.

I am an electronic musician and I know the sound of a "stock" mac is beyond that of a Wintel. I have spent thousands on audio set ups, and in reality they do not work as well as my 12" Powerbook with 1.25 gig ram, 1.5 processor and 64 meg video card. Why? Because my Powerbook lets me make music instead of spending my time and money configuring hardware and software. Have you really checked "System Preferences -> Sound -> Output -> Balance"?

If you have a lemon then switch it out for a good one. But don't imply we Apple users are so stupid we have not noticed our compters don't work. When you "finally switch to Apple" you spend your time creating and not configuring.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2005, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Dewaine
But to suggest that this is "what happens when you finally switch to Apple?" is absurd. I, and I would wager thousands of others, are amazed and giddy with the stability and quailty of a Mac over the sh*t from Microsoft/Intel I have bought over the last 15 years.
I agree with most of your post, but has Intel actually sold you a bad product or are naming them in place of the OEM who built the computer?

Cloud
Dec 3, 2005, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by Dewaine
Before I am flamed, let me state that I switched from Win to Mac about 4 months ago.

I realize there are "lemons" from any manufacturer of any product.

I am an electronic musician and I know the sound of a "stock" mac is beyond that of a Wintel. I have spent thousands on audio set ups, and in reality they do not work as well as my 12" Powerbook with 1.25 gig ram, 1.5 processor and 64 meg video card. Why? Because my Powerbook lets me make music instead of spending my time and money configuring hardware and software. Have you really checked "System Preferences -> Sound -> Output -> Balance"?

If you have a lemon then switch it out for a good one. But don't imply we Apple users are so stupid we have not noticed our compters don't work. When you "finally switch to Apple" you spend your time creating and not configuring.
Dude you need to chill out. The guy was just venting. I'd post the same if it happened to me. No where in his post did he say Apple users are stupid.

benwhanlee
Forum Regular
Dec 3, 2005, 03:14 AM

If you're having issues, get them fixed under warranty ASAP. Sorry to hear that you're having some issues, but from the sound of it they can be fixed. I've had really good experience with repairs so I'd call and set one up.
15" Al PB 1.67, 15" Ti PB 667, Power Mac 400

Dewaine
Dec 3, 2005, 10:12 AM

Good point Mduell, Intel is not the one to blame. The OEM's and Windows are the real problems.....

Chill out? Okay, I'm fine now after a good nights sleep

But, I really do think if someone is so negative about a product they bought then perhaps it is not for them. I am a strong believer in choice in the market place and the consummers right to reward or punish the vender. I used to reward Sony with most of my electronic purchases. I now punish them by not buying anything from them because of my perceived drop in their quality.

To the original poster... If your unit has all the problems you say, then I would demand a new one. If Apple did not exchange it I would write a stinging letter to their Corp Headquarters and never buy an Apple product again.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2005, 10:25 AM

So take it back.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 3, 2005, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by habibman
So I just returned ...?
Care to use a thread title that actually explains your problem?

tooki

G. I.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2005, 10:36 AM

One positive thing: you've sent back that Bose crap. Buy some decent speakers.

andgarden
Dec 4, 2005, 10:52 AM

++++ ("no highs, no lows. . .")

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 5, 2005, 03:23 PM

All products can have problems. Good thing about Apple is when my 1GHz 17" Powerbook came back with the same problem the 3rd time I got a new 1.5 Ghz free of charge. Just saying they did good at least in my case. And this was 3 days before the 1 year warranty ran out. I did not have Apple care.

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 5, 2005, 03:24 PM

Double post.

Forum Links
Forum Rules