Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > sync iPhoto with multiple Mac?

sync iPhoto with multiple Mac?
solofx7
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2008, 05:50 PM

how do i sync iPhoto across multiple macs?
any ideas?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2008, 08:31 PM

I don't know what your end goal is, but the easiest way to see your photos from multiple machines is with iPhoto's built in sharing.

QSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 7, 2008, 11:22 AM

Well, the downside to sharing is that iPhoto (and iTunes is the same) has to be running on the other Mac. And, if the other Mac is a older/slower one, it can be awhile before the Library of photos can be accessed.

QS

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2008, 11:21 AM

I have multiple macs in my house and I want all of the same pictures on all of them.

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2008, 11:21 AM

I actually want to sync the photos across all of the macs.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2008, 08:42 AM

If all the Macs are on the same network, you might just be best off putting the iPhoto library on a shared network volume and pointing all the Macs at it.

However, you might be able to use something like ChronoSync to synchronize the iPhoto folder across multiple Macs, however I don't know how well it will work if multiple machines edit multiple pics - not sure if all the edits, plus any metadata required by iPhoto - will be properly recognized by each machine each time.

I think option one above is your best bet, though only one person can access the images at a time (other machines will get a "library locked and in use" type of error).

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2008, 11:25 AM

good thoughts, but i was thinking that if I did the shared option on the network drive, wouldnt that prevent the macs from changing the pics?

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2008, 01:11 PM

also one of the machines that would have access would be a macbook pro.
the iphoto library being on a shared drive would not allow this to work correct?

Forum Links
Forum Rules