Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Are people asking you lots of questions too?

Are people asking you lots of questions too?
solofx7
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2010, 09:48 AM

All of the people I know, know that I am a apple person.
Literally since the iPad came out everyone is asking me tons of questions about it.
Mostly the questions seem to center around justification for buying one or what it can do.

I think that most of this hype is good for apple.
Personally I have trouble answering the questions because I am not sure what to say.
In theory it is just another computer.
But it is truly a different category of computer.
It does so much of the normal stuff people do much easier.
I think that it reaches out to the average-beginning consumer much better than any other computer can.
If you have a desktop, a laptop and a good smart phone, I cannot really justify the "need" for an iPad.
On those same lines it does fill a certain space and probably makes it the most usable computer you will have.
I would not go without it and love it so
iMac 27inch 3.4 i7 16gb ram, MacBook Air 11 inch i5 128gb, iMac 27inch 2.8 i7 8gb ram, MacBook Pro 17 inch 2.66 i7, 4gb ram 500gb HDD Seagate XT,
iPhone 4 - Time Capsule 2tb, Apple TV - iPad 2 64gb

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2010, 10:14 AM

I focus my discussion with people on the fact that the iPad is for MEDIA CONSUMPTION. It's not for productivity. If you want to browse the web, email, check your calender, watch movies, TV shows, play music, read the news, read a magazine, read a book, play a game, etc. the iPad is PERFECT for that.

If you want to write a paper, program, or otherwise produce something substantial, the iPad is NOT good for that.

Everyone I have shown it to (especially non-technos and non-Apple people) LOVE IT. Everyone of them says (paraphrasing), "This would be perfect to keep in the living room". That's exactly what I use it for and it has completely replaced the laptop I used to use while sitting in my recliner and watching TV/relaxing.

I will take it with me when I travel for use in the plane and hotel room as well - much easier to lug around than a laptop and much better to watch movies or TV shows than an iPhone/iTouch.

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2010, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
I focus my discussion with people on the fact that the iPad is for MEDIA CONSUMPTION. It's not for productivity. If you want to browse the web, email, check your calender, watch movies, TV shows, play music, read the news, read a magazine, read a book, play a game, etc. the iPad is PERFECT for that.

If you want to write a paper, program, or otherwise produce something substantial, the iPad is NOT good for that.

Everyone I have shown it to (especially non-technos and non-Apple people) LOVE IT. Everyone of them says (paraphrasing), "This would be perfect to keep in the living room". That's exactly what I use it for and it has completely replaced the laptop I used to use while sitting in my recliner and watching TV/relaxing.

I will take it with me when I travel for use in the plane and hotel room as well - much easier to lug around than a laptop and much better to watch movies or TV shows than an iPhone/iTouch.

Thanks for such a quick response.
I truly have a hard time defining what it is.
My problem is that it is sort of like the iPhone because it is not just one thing.
It is everything that you want it to be. It is more than just the apps.
It excels in every area that it should.
I am a 35 year old professional, and a student.
i am going to try having it replace my laptop for the time that I am in class/normally 4 hours or so.
The battery life will not be a problem.
The apps will not be a problem because of the fact that I am not actually creating much in class.
The big creation of stuff normally happens outside of class.
Even so, that iWork suite is much better than expected on the ipad.
iMac 27inch 3.4 i7 16gb ram, MacBook Air 11 inch i5 128gb, iMac 27inch 2.8 i7 8gb ram, MacBook Pro 17 inch 2.66 i7, 4gb ram 500gb HDD Seagate XT,

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2010, 10:42 AM

Funny thing, as you can tell by my sig, I have an iMac, Macbook Pro, iPhone and now a iPad.
The iPad has a clear place in my computer life.
It cannot truly be filled by a laptop or a desktop.
I do a ton of reading on it that I cannot easily do on otherwise.
Mostly because of the apps. The iphone is too small, the desktop is too big, laptop gets too hot, and also the apps are not available there.
Mags, comics, newspapers all have their own apps that are just dandy for the iPad.

Though I truly struggle to explain usage to others.
I normally end up saying "go to the store and try it," mostly because i think that once people do they will love it.
I think that the interface and software makes the device.
I just don't know what to say to people.
I could spend easily and hour showing people stuff u can do with it that you either cannot do anywhere else or do it here that is so much easier.

-Q-
Apr 8, 2010, 11:02 AM

There's definitely a difficulty in trying to explain what it feels like to use an iPad. How do you convey the feeling of immersion you get when you're touching a web page and interacting with it on such a more visceral level than what you get when navigating with a keyboard and mouse?

I think the best analogy I've seen is that the iPad is a computer that totally gets out of your way. It almost *becomes* the app you're using, allowing for a potential for interaction that's not been there before.

Like you, I think I'll be able to replace my laptop with the iPad when traveling. I don't do a lot of content creation, but the iWork apps would certainly allow for the easy editing of content when necessary, or the creation if you do need to put together something on the road.

I don't think devices like the iPad will replace what a full computer can do, but it certainly does an excellent job of enhancing and extending. I love living in the future.

-Q-
Apr 8, 2010, 11:05 AM

And yes, whenever I've taken the iPad out a crowd tends to gather. Most to see what the hype is all about (I show them The Elements and Netflix streaming for the wow factor), others to see how it works in more detail. Those people get to play first hand.

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2010, 11:08 AM

I have not taken it out of the house yet because of the whole case thing.
But everyone asks because they know I have one.
I guess with 4 apple computers in the house and only one person, I may need to let one go

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2010, 01:03 PM

For those that give it a hard time namely the quest on TWIT.tv about the non-removable battery.
I do not think that we as users or apple as a company really want another possible failure point for hardware.
That is part of the reason we move from windows. way too many possible software and hardware failure points.

-Q-
Apr 8, 2010, 02:45 PM

I just see it as a non-issue. Working on 18 months on my iPhone 3G battery and still holding a great charge (hope I didn't just jinx myself. ).

And if a non-user replaceable battery allows Apple to squeeze 8 hours out of a Macbook Pro and 10+ hours out of the iPad, I'm all for it.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2010, 07:49 PM

I agree on the battery thing. When the iPhone was released with a non-removable battery, people freaked. They said it would be the death nail for the device. They predicted that when those batteries started to fail, people would reject the iPhone because of the hassle. Or they said travelers would reject it because they need tons of battery life without charging.

Seems like they were wrong. 3rd party companies have come out with great solutions for extra battery life for the iPhone for those that feel they need it. But I haven't seen any mass exodus from the iPhone for any reason, let alone the non-removable battery.

Like -Q- said, its a non-issue. Just another loud minority who are making a fuss about nothing.

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2010, 10:41 PM

Did anyone see that twit.tv episode?
This guy was ripping Steve, saying he was a control freak and all of that because of the non-replaceable battery thing.
It was just odd because he was all over Steve, but using and iPad

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2010, 10:43 PM

I keep running into people I know that are so combative about the iPad.
I know that apple gets people all riled up because of the hype they get.
So I guess I understand people that are turned off by the hype.
But I do not control that myself.
People are just so combative about apple.
My thing is buy what u want, be happy. I'm cool either way

Forum Links
Forum Rules