Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Apple starts accepting orders for iPhone SE, 9.7-inch iPad Pro

Apple starts accepting orders for iPhone SE, 9.7-inch iPad Pro
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Mar 24, 2016, 07:10 AM

Apple has commenced preorders for both of the new devices it launched during its "Let us loop you in" event from earlier this week. The online version of the Apple Store started accepting the preorders in a total of 13 territories for the compact iPhone SE and the 9.7-inch iPad Pro from just after midnight pacific time (3am ET), with orders for the iOS hardware currently expected to start being delivered to customers by March 31.

The initial list of countries that can order the new items are: Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, New Zealand, Puerto Rico, Singapore, United Kingdom, and the United States.

Available in Silver, Space Gray, Gold, and Rose gold finishes, the iPhone SE is on sale in two different capacities. The 16GB model costs $399 without a contract or from $13.30 per month with carrier financing, while the 64GB model costs $499 off-contract and $16.64 per month with financing. For the US market, there is the option to go through the Trade Up with Installments plan, which can bring the cost of the iPhone Se down to as low as $10, depending on the value of the traded-in device.

The 9.7-inch iPad Pro is also offered with the four main color options, and includes a choice of three capacities and either Wi-Fi only or Wi-Fi and cellular connectivity. The 32GB Wi-Fi model costs $599, while the 128GB and 256GB versions cost $749 and $899 respectively, while the cellular editions add an extra $130 to the price. As with the first iPad Pro, the $149 Smart Keyboard and the $99 Apple Pencil are available separately as optional extras.

Inkling
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 24, 2016, 08:50 AM

I think the iPhone SE is a great product but for one serious flaw, the 16GB model. Non-tech savvy users are likely to buy it because it's substantially cheaper and then get ticked off at Apple when they discover how few 12 megapixel pictures and home videos it can hold. If Apple wants to market products that 'just work,' it needs give even the basic model an adequate feature set. What would have it cost Apple to give that base model 32GB of storage? Probably less that $10. That's cheap when it ensures happy customers.
Author of Untangling Tolkien and Chesterton on War and Peace

mbmoore6
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2016, 08:56 AM

Get an iPad for your pictures and home videos. 16GB is plenty for a few hundred songs and a basic app set.

pottymouth
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 24, 2016, 09:19 AM

And a buck a month will get you 50GB of iCloud storage. 16GB local shouldn't be a problem, unless you're regularly without wireless.

I wanted to go back to a 4" screen from the day I got my 6 until...well...I dunno. I really want to jump on this because I've hated this oversized thing for so long, but now I'm afraid I may be hooked :/ I'll have to go handle one in person and remind myself what it's like to be able to easily and securely reach every bit of the screen with one hand.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2016, 12:33 PM

Actually, 16GB will hold a ton of pictures or music -- thousands of each. But not tens of thousands, so if you want that, you will need to use iCloud Photo Library and/or iTunes Match/Apple Music, or one of their competitors. Use the money you saved on the iPhone's price to pay for more cellular data.

The only area where the 16GB really falls down is storing video, but again ... I'm of a generation that likes having stuff stored on the device, but that's not true of the new generation ... everything is streamed, very little is stored locally. Bearing that in mind, 16GB can work without a lot of "management" if you rely on cloud services for most of your entertainment.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2016, 04:38 PM

Curse me for a novice: there's also Camtasia, which can record a connected iOS device and offers all kinds of augmentation of the kind you mention (finger taps, key presses, etc). I'll add a mention of it to the article, thanks for making me think on this topic.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Forum Links
Forum Rules