Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > optimal resolution for 22 inch display...

optimal resolution for 22 inch display...
p.h..i...l....
Forum Regular
Jan 19, 2003, 10:21 AM

hi,

i'm thinking about buying a new display soon, i'm not sure what i'll take: 17 inch tft or 22 inch crt.
on a 17 tft i would get 1280 x 1024 pixels, what would be the best resolution to work on a 22 inch crt display?

thanx in advance,
// phil

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2003, 11:51 AM

It all depends on what you like. Since CRT's don't have a native resolution, they look just as good on any setting. A 22" CRT is probably capable of 2048x1536, which is what I'd use it at, but if you like a less dense screen, 1600x1200 would probably be good too. Anything lower than that on a 22" screen might start looking too pixelated, though. Go to a computer store that has that screen or a similar one on display and test the resolutions to see what they look like... It's more a matter of personal preference than the "best" resolution.

p.h..i...l....  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 19, 2003, 02:00 PM

Originally posted by MaxPower2k3:
It all depends on what you like. Since CRT's don't have a native resolution, they look just as good on any setting. A 22" CRT is probably capable of 2048x1536, which is what I'd use it at, but if you like a less dense screen, 1600x1200 would probably be good too. Anything lower than that on a 22" screen might start looking too pixelated, though. Go to a computer store that has that screen or a similar one on display and test the resolutions to see what they look like... It's more a matter of personal preference than the "best" resolution.
thank you... mainly i was asking because of one reason: if i get a 17 inch tft, i'll have a resolution of 1280 x 1024 - the only main reason for taking a 22 inch crt would be, that i can use higher resolutions than this.

at the moment i'm working on a 17 inch apple studio tft with 1280 x 1024, which is fine, not too big, not too small - well, would be 1600 x 1200 on a 22 inch crt be much smaller?

// phil

CatOne
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2003, 05:27 PM

Originally posted by MaxPower2k3:
Are you crazy?

2048x1536 on a 22" CRT? Maybe if you put a magnifying lens on the thing... text would be miniscule.

1600x1200 is small, but readable if you have good strong eyes on a 22" (remember a 22" CRT is about like a 20" LCD).

Personally I'd go with the LCD and digital (ADC or DVI) input over a CRT these days. It's just so much nicer to use.

Forum Links
Forum Rules