Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Citations in iWork

Citations in iWork
solofx7
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2009, 05:29 PM

Does anyone know if there is a built in utility to do citations in iWork?
I think that this is an oversight if it is missing.
The main reason for this is because Macs are sold to students all of the time and a major thing that students do it write reports and use different formatting for docs and citation.
That being said, I have looked in the inspector and all of the menus.
Please help.
iMac 27inch 3.4 i7 16gb ram, MacBook Air 11 inch i5 128gb, iMac 27inch 2.8 i7 8gb ram, MacBook Pro 17 inch 2.66 i7, 4gb ram 500gb HDD Seagate XT,
iPhone 4 - Time Capsule 2tb, Apple TV - iPad 2 64gb

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2009, 06:50 PM

larkost
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2009, 07:25 PM

That tutorial refers to using Endnote, a commercial application, and a very expensive one at that. For professional researchers this was an absolutely necessary addition, but for normal non-Graduate students Endnote is too expensive and overkill. And for a K-12 environment it would be really worthless.

The real answer here is that Pages does not have any real built-in support for citation formatting without resorting to third-party software.

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2009, 10:02 AM

this is a huge oversight.
i love iwork, and this makes me unhappy
iMac 27inch 3.4 i7 16gb ram, MacBook Air 11 inch i5 128gb, iMac 27inch 2.8 i7 8gb ram, MacBook Pro 17 inch 2.66 i7, 4gb ram 500gb HDD Seagate XT,

cgc
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2009, 10:33 AM

That's hilarious. Apple's demo movie cited Wikipedia...I got throttled when I did that a few years ago in college. They don't seem to like it when people cite a source they themselves can edit (like in that episode of 30 Rock).

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2009, 11:52 AM

i hate to have to use microsoft word

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2009, 12:40 PM

I don't think Word has what you are looking for either, does it?

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 20, 2009, 12:56 PM

Is it endnotes we're missing? Footnotes are there.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

JKT
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2009, 12:56 PM

You could use NeoOffice which, like Word, does have a built-in citation manager.

JKT
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2009, 01:00 PM

Endnotes and Footnotes are both possible in Pages (at least in '08 which is what I have), but that functionality is not the same as having a dedicated citation and reference list manager.

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2009, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
word does have it...

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2009, 05:54 PM

Ah, I stand corrected. I'm still using an older version of Word.

This doesn't help you any, but my inner contrarian still believes that anyone who isn't citing so often that they really should be using Endnote would probably do better to make sure they know how to correctly format their citations manually (students being a perfect example).

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2009, 10:32 PM

yes, word does have it.
school force me/students to use certain paper formatting such as APA, MLA and Chicago so on and so forth.
MS word does have these formatting presets and also has citations.
My issues is that I thought that pages had this as it has everything else.
It is a super duper page layout program and I use it every class for my papers because it is so easy to use and the layout make it easy.
I have been searching for the citation stuff, but I keep coming up with endnote.
Honestly, another program? That costs a whole bundle more than pages?
I just cannot do it...

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2009, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Is it endnotes we're missing? Footnotes are there.
no, not footnotes.
real paper formatting like APA, MLA, Chicago style formatting.
And a true citation sections that makes the citations correct as per the information that you put in.

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2009, 10:42 PM

Ah, I stand corrected. I'm still using an older version of Word.

This doesn't help you any, but my inner contrarian still believes that anyone who isn't citing so often that they really should be using Endnote would probably do better to make sure they know how to correctly format their citations manually (students being a perfect example).
trust me, I understand.
I am not so much interested in trying to not do the work or knowing how to do it, but more so of the making sure that it is right.
Sometimes, writing a very long paper and having tons of references and tracking and such can become a bit of a pain.
Where as a manager of these things would make sure that it is right.
Not sure how else to explain it.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2009, 11:00 AM

solofx7, have you checked to see whether your school has a site license for EndNote? If so, you may be able to get a free copy (you'd also avoid personally giving any money to the publishers, who are trying to sue the open-source and apparently-brilliant Zotero out of existence).

I think there are some other citation managers for the Mac, like Sente and BibDesk, but I'm not really sure how they work, since they can't be integrated into Pages like EndNote. But I seem to recall hearing that there was some AppleScripting that could be done to make Sente and Pages work well together.

I collect my references with Papers, which is a journal search tool and PDF organizer. It can export to EndNote or Word 2008's citation manager, or just create a bibliography. The latter option may be useful for Pages, if you're more concerned with creating your reference list than formatting the inline citations. I've been using Papers with Word 2008, but I may give it a try with Pages for my next paper.

phoenix78
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 24, 2009, 09:20 AM

I use Latex for all my research paper typesetting needs. But im an engineer and can handle it. Non-engineers will find it rather scary. I can then use Bibdesk along with the Texshop tools for free.

Pages is so limited it isnt funny. Its a toy and only good for highschool kids doing the most basic of word processing. It cant even do proper captions, list of figures, list of tables etc... Didnt even have an equation editor without having to buy MathType. Its export feature for Word is not perfect.

I only bought iWork for Keynote. I only use Pages for basic note taking just because i dont want to waste the money i spent buying iwork.

Use MS Word or learn Latex (get 'Texshop' and its 'free'!). MS Word is pretty good.

OreoCookie
Feb 24, 2009, 09:38 AM

No, please don't advise Word. Just don't. If you're computer-savvy (relatively speaking), you're always asked to `quickly fix things'. Which ends up taking hours.

Do not use Word for anything longer than 20 or 30 pages. Avoid it at all costs if you want to add pictures/diagrams. I mean it. Any version on any platform.

Have a look at Nisus Writer Pro + Sente. Ideally, you would want to use LaTeX, if you know how to use tags on vbb, writing in LaTeX shouldn't be much of a problem. LaTeX never, ever effs up your formatting, but you need to tell it what to do. I use it on a daily basis.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2009, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug View Post
solofx7, have you checked to see whether your school has a site license for EndNote? If so, you may be able to get a free copy (you'd also avoid personally giving any money to the publishers, who are trying to sue the open-source and apparently-brilliant Zotero out of existence).

I think there are some other citation managers for the Mac, like Sente and BibDesk, but I'm not really sure how they work, since they can't be integrated into Pages like EndNote. But I seem to recall hearing that there was some AppleScripting that could be done to make Sente and Pages work well together.

I collect my references with Papers, which is a journal search tool and PDF organizer. It can export to EndNote or Word 2008's citation manager, or just create a bibliography. The latter option may be useful for Pages, if you're more concerned with creating your reference list than formatting the inline citations. I've been using Papers with Word 2008, but I may give it a try with Pages for my next paper.
thank you, i will look into this.
i downloaded the demo.
i think that it is just an odd omission by apple.

vyom-kesh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2009, 02:40 AM

I agree with phoenix78 and OreoCookie about using LaTeX.

For equations, if you are familiar with latex, you can use the fantastic software 'LaTeXiT' (http://ktd.club.fr/programmation/latexit_en.php) that works with your latex setup and generates really good looking equations that you can use with Pages, Word, Keynote or Powerpoint.

madaray
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2009, 08:24 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules