Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Public opinion in Israel on Yassin's death- Arabs are glad he's gone.

Public opinion in Israel on Yassin's death- Arabs are glad he's gone.
vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 23, 2004, 10:00 PM

Public opinion polls show that Israeli public opinion is running 3-1 in favor of the killing of terrorist leader Ahmed Yassin - despite the perceived short-ranger dangers.

A poll conducted yesterday evening by Maariv and "The New Wave" indicates that Israeli public opinion is running 3-1 in favor of the killing of arch-terrorist Yassin. 61% of the respondents - including Arabs - support the missile attack that rid the world of one of its most deadly murderers, while 21% thought Israel should not have killed the Hamas leader. This, despite the fact that most Israelis believe that Hamas will increase its terror attacks as a result: 55% believe terror will increase, 36% think it will not change, while only 9% see the level of terror decreasing. The question did not specify whether it referred to a short-, medium- or long-range time frame.

A Yediot Acharonot poll by Dr. Mina Tzemach showed similar results - although its questions specified both the long-term and the short-term: 81% feel that terrorism will increase in the short-term - while the public is divided approximately equally on whether it will increase, decrease or remain the same in the long run.

IDF Intelligence Chief Gen. Aharon Ze'evi-Farkash said today that he does not expect a significant increase in the number and extent of terrorist attacks in the wake of Yassin's death.

IDF Chief of Staff Lt.-Gen. Moshe Yaalon said today that the "reactions of Arafat and Hizbullah-chieftain Nasrallah to Yassin's killing show that they understand that they're also in line for the same treatment."

The Maariv poll found that 43% believe that Israel should now eliminate Arafat, while 38% object to such an operation.

-- http://www.israelnn.com/news.php3?id=59950 (Arutz Sheva News)
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2004, 10:05 PM

It said including arabs. But it doesn't say what the poll results were for just arabs. Was it two arabs? 10? 100? 1000?

Says absolutely nothing.

Then we have the fact that most are happy with this, but people don't believe this will make them safer.

It just makes me all warm and cosy inside that a "civilised" nation supports killing people, and support killing innocent bystanders while doing it. Just shows how very modern and civilized Israel has become.

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 23, 2004, 10:08 PM

It's just not the Israeli Jews that are happy it seems.

This guy was vile.

Not surprised.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2004, 10:42 PM

Originally posted by vmarks:
Public opinion polls show that Israeli public opinion is running 3-1 in favor of the killing of terrorist leader Ahmed Yassin - despite the perceived short-ranger dangers.
The rest of the world says "longterm", short-range, is rather skewed.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2004, 10:48 PM

When are the next elections in Israel?

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

vmarks  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 23, 2004, 11:11 PM

Originally posted by Logic:
It said including arabs. But it doesn't say what the poll results were for just arabs. Was it two arabs? 10? 100? 1000?

Says absolutely nothing.

Then we have the fact that most are happy with this, but people don't believe this will make them safer.

It just makes me all warm and cosy inside that a "civilised" nation supports killing people, and support killing innocent bystanders while doing it. Just shows how very modern and civilized Israel has become.
In your effort to deny the results, you fail to read. 61% of the people surveyed including Arabs support the action. You'd like to spin it as 2 Arabs out of the 61%. That wouldn't be statistically relevant, yet the story says that it is. Sorry I can't quote you the maariv story on it, maariv has it only on the Hebrew side of their site so far.

Dahaf Institute who conducted the survey is one of the most reputable organizations for such work in that hemisphere of the world. The EU has used them for surveys repeatedly.

Apparently some Arabs realize this is good for them as well.

NO INNOCENT BYSTANDERS WERE KILLED incidental to Yassin's death. They were all likewise guilty, as he, his sons, and his bodyguards were all directly in contact with the terrorists Yassin had met with and encouraged.

As for safer, attacks would have continued with Yassin alive, and they will occur with Yassin dead, but the bulk of those are short term expectations. In the long run, this is beneficial thing, and Israel did the world a favor- Yassin had promised to take terrorism to the world again, outside of just Israel. Don't cry about this old man in the wheelchair, cry about the old man in the wheelchair that Abu Ala tossed over the side of the cruise ship Achille Lauro. The latter was an innocent, the first a threat to the world.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

vmarks  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 23, 2004, 11:14 PM

When are the next elections in Israel?
Either at the end of Sharon's term, or when Sharon fails to survive a vote of no confidence.

So far he has survived votes of no confidence, but his plan to withdraw from Gaza is having a difficult time getting support from both extreme left and right.

http://www.israelnn.com/news.php3?id=59867

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 23, 2004, 11:34 PM

NO INNOCENT BYSTANDERS WERE KILLED incidental to Yassin's death. They were all likewise guilty, as he, his sons, and his bodyguards were all directly in contact with the terrorists Yassin had met with and encouraged.

Heh, I did not know that. So much for taking out innocent victims.

As for safer, attacks would have continued with Yassin alive, and they will occur with Yassin dead, but the bulk of those are short term expectations. In the long run, this is beneficial thing, and Israel did the world a favor- Yassin had promised to take terrorism to the world again, outside of just Israel. Don't cry about this old man in the wheelchair, cry about the old man in the wheelchair that Abu Ala tossed over the side of the cruise ship Achille Lauro. The latter was an innocent, the first a threat to the world.
Indeed.

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Mar 24, 2004, 05:05 AM

( Last edited by daimoni; Sep 11, 2004 at 12:56 AM. )

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2004, 09:14 AM

Wonderful news.

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 24, 2004, 09:23 AM

Originally posted by lil'babykitten:
Wonderful news.
While I would never celebrate his death, You don't get many fans being a hate spreading terrorist.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2004, 09:38 AM

In your effort to deny the results, you fail to read. 61% of the people surveyed including Arabs support the action. You'd like to spin it as 2 Arabs out of the 61%. That wouldn't be statistically relevant, yet the story says that it is. Sorry I can't quote you the maariv story on it, maariv has it only on the Hebrew side of their site so far.

Dahaf Institute who conducted the survey is one of the most reputable organizations for such work in that hemisphere of the world. The EU has used them for surveys repeatedly.

Apparently some Arabs realize this is good for them as well.
First of all, I'm not trying to spin it. I'm looking at the data given and it is faulty. It says that 61% and that numbers includes arabs support the killing. That does in no way show what the number was for just arabs. If you can't understand that you should read up on statistics. Maybe the hebrew site shows it, but from what I have seen nothing in the numbers says that Israeli arabs support it.

So you know what the 7-9 others who died did for a living and their names? Please share it with us.

Got anything to back that up? That he wanted to take the terrorism to the outside world? Because from what I have read he was strongly against that.

And then you have no right to say who I should cry over. I think both murders were equally disgusting.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2004, 09:40 AM

Either at the end of Sharon's term, or when Sharon fails to survive a vote of no confidence.

So far he has survived votes of no confidence, but his plan to withdraw from Gaza is having a difficult time getting support from both extreme left and right.

http://www.israelnn.com/news.php3?id=59867
So was this perhaps a political move to make him gain support so he can continue with the withdrawal from the occupied areas?

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2004, 09:41 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
While I would never celebrate his death, You don't get many fans being a hate spreading terrorist.
Sharon doesn't seem to lack fans though........

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 24, 2004, 09:59 AM

Sharon doesn't seem to lack fans though........
You comparing this guy with Sharon tells me a lot about how you think.

eklipse
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2004, 10:04 AM

Since when did anyone care what the Arabs thought?

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2004, 10:04 AM

You comparing this guy with Sharon tells me a lot about how you think.

Is there a difference between terrorists? Tell me what the difference is.

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 24, 2004, 10:15 AM

Is there a difference between terrorists? Tell me what the difference is.
Because defending your country from terrorists, is terrorism how?

Nonsense. That top doesn't spin here.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2004, 10:19 AM

Because defending your country from terrorists, is terrorism how?

Nonsense. That top doesn't spin here.
Did you completely ignore my posts about Sharon's history of terrorism in the other thread we have on this issue? Read up on Unit 101 and the Stern Gang. Among several other things.

dcolton
Banned
Mar 24, 2004, 10:48 AM

You never cease to amaze me. You demonize Israel and apologize for the terrorists. Where does your moral compass point?

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2004, 10:55 AM

Originally posted by dcolton:
You never cease to amaze me. You demonize Israel and apologize for the terrorists. Where does your moral compass point?
In the right direction. The direction that condemns all murders. It is you who support killing people and not I.

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 24, 2004, 11:10 AM

Did you completely ignore my posts about Sharon's history of terrorism in the other thread we have on this issue? Read up on Unit 101 and the Stern Gang. Among several other things.
No I read it. I also read vmarks post that totally debunked yours.

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 24, 2004, 11:11 AM

Originally posted by dcolton:
I am not the only one that sees it.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2004, 11:11 AM

No I read it. I also read vmarks post that totally debunked yours.
In your opinion. That doesn't make it true though.

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 24, 2004, 11:15 AM

In your opinion. That doesn't make it true though.
No, he indeed debunked you like he usually does. You being deluded about it doesn't change that fact.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2004, 11:20 AM

No, he indeed debunked you like he usually does. You being deluded about it doesn't change that fact.
Whatever. He didn't debunk anything but just shifted the topic a bit so people like you would be deluded into believing him.

But believe what you want.

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 24, 2004, 11:23 AM

Logic if God himself came and told you, yes, indeed vmarks just debunked you, you would deny it and call him deluded.

Wake up.

Unless you care to debunk his post piece by piece.

I'd like to see it. He did it to yours. All you have to say is "He shifted the topic a bit"

Put up or shut up.

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Mar 24, 2004, 01:10 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Sep 11, 2004 at 12:57 AM. )

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 24, 2004, 01:12 PM

Not only that, is negates the theory it's just the Jews hating the Muslims.

SubGeniux
Grizzled Veteran
Location: Shipped to another country by the US to be tortured so they can avoid Int. law.
Mar 24, 2004, 01:30 PM

vmarks - what was the percentage of the Arabs in the poll? I don't mean the poll in total which includes both Jewish, and Aab votes, but the Arab votes alone.

It's funny though, because I have virtually seen no Arab backing the killing of Yassin, moderate, or extreme. I sometimes wnder where you pull half of your information from, and why on earth you seem to surround yourself with such biased views.
sanathana sarathi
si tacuisses philosophus mansisses

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2004, 01:35 PM

Originally posted by SubGeniux:
vmarks - what was the percentage of the Arabs in the poll? I don't mean the poll in total which includes both Jewish, and Aab votes, but the Arab votes alone.

It's funny though, because I have virtually seen no Arab backing the killing of Yassin, moderate, or extreme. I sometimes wnder where you pull half of your information from, and why on earth you seem to surround yourself with such biased views.
That's what the rest of the world is saying.

Even the whitehouse was "concerned" by the news. Sharon's biggest fan.

But there's always a media source that shows the info people like to see.

Look hard enough, and you will find what is otherwiese legitimate news source claming bush as over 90% approval rating. No joke. And you will find the contrary.

There many news sources that go nuts on the political part of news.

Just takes someone who needs to feel content with their own hatred to have the time/energy to find one of these sources, and use it as something to massage their ego with.

SubGeniux
Grizzled Veteran
Location: Shipped to another country by the US to be tortured so they can avoid Int. law.
Mar 24, 2004, 01:37 PM

I'd love to see a poll from a non-Israeli biased paper, vmarks. how about we poll Arab opinion in the West Bank, or Ghazah? Nah, let's broaden it to the Arab world. Do you think Palestinians are going to just turn around nowand support the method of using missiles to assassinate Aabs just because it got the particular person, who actually enjoyed plenty support throughout the Muslim world. Arabs who support the Israeli action of this type, are also supporting the use of fighter jets, and incursions into their land, so your reliance and eagernss in always putting all your faith into such things, will not bear out in time. That is being blind my friend.
sanathana sarathi

SubGeniux
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 24, 2004, 01:41 PM

Originally posted by macvillage.net:
That's what the rest of the world is saying.

Even the whitehouse was "concerned" by the news. Sharon's biggest fan.

But there's always a media source that shows the info people like to see.

Look hard enough, and you will find what is otherwiese legitimate news source claming bush as over 90% approval rating. No joke. And you will find the contrary.

There many news sources that go nuts on the political part of news.

Just takes someone who needs to feel content with their own hatred to have the time/energy to find one of these sources, and use it as something to massage their ego with.
Yup, very true. Virtually every nation has utterly condemned Israel for this, as it sets another terrible precedence, The Eu has called it illegal, the UN too, every Arab nation, Japan, China, Muslim nations, Australia, etc. The only country to not outright condemn it, is surprise, surprise, the US. Which comes as no surprise though, and the last few days we have seen palestininans calling out for Israel to die, adn the US. Hmm, I wonder why the hatred for the US, it's not too hard to see. It's also somethign to note that we don't see Palestinians asking for the Philipinos to be killed, or Germans, or Brazilians, or anyone else, only Israel and the US. If you support a regime that murders peopel liek Israel does, then don't be surprised to see Muslims launching bombs on the mainland of the US, it's expected.
sanathana sarathi

SubGeniux
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 24, 2004, 01:47 PM

Jewish voices against the killing of Yassin, and for Sharon to be indicted.

http://www.indybay.org/news/2004/03/1674847.php
sanathana sarathi

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2004, 01:49 PM

Originally posted by SubGeniux:
Yup, very true. Virtually every nation has utterly condemned Israel for this, as it sets another terrible precedence, The Eu has called it illegal, the UN too, every Arab nation, Japan, China, Muslim nations, Australia, etc. The only country to not outright condemn it, is surprise, surprise, the US. Which comes as no surprise though, and the last few days we have seen palestininans calling out for Israel to die, adn the US. Hmm, I wonder why the hatred for the US, it's not too hard to see. It's also somethign to note that we don't see Palestinians asking for the Philipinos to be killed, or Germans, or Brazilians, or anyone else, only Israel and the US. If you support a regime that murders peopel liek Israel does, then don't be surprised to see Muslims launching bombs on the mainland of the US, it's expected.
The whitehouse has somewhat endorsed it, but unique to this case is that it's "deeply concerned":
http://onenews.nzoom.com/onenews_det...04-1-9,00.html

vatican's reaction (as antisemetic as they are):
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...55E401,00.html

SubGeniux
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 24, 2004, 01:53 PM

Originally posted by macvillage.net:
The whitehouse has somewhat endorsed it, but unique to this case is that it's "deeply concerned":
http://onenews.nzoom.com/onenews_det...04-1-9,00.html
[/url]
Thanks for the link. I hope it's a sign of things to change with the US' policy towards Israel.
sanathana sarathi

phoenixboy
Mac Elite
Location: to your right, if you are wearing bronze, to your left, if you are wearing silver
Mar 24, 2004, 05:34 PM

guilty of what? being anti israel? being muslims? spreading propaganda, maybe?

what is the penalty for such crimes in israel? death? no! i dind't think so!

again, arbitrary abuse of authority by those in power, i.e. hypocracy.

So keep on living And don`t start giving The devil good reasons To get you in the seasons of heartbreak Baby are you tough enough?

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2004, 05:39 PM

I'm still waiting to hear the results from just Israeli Arabs.

Anyone got anything on that?

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2004, 06:01 PM

Originally posted by phoenixboy:
It's not really hypocracy, since they don't say otherwise. If they said one thing, and did the other THEN it would by hypocracy. But they just do it, and gloat about it.

vmarks  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 24, 2004, 07:09 PM

Originally posted by phoenixboy:
guilty of what? being anti israel? being muslims? spreading propaganda, maybe?

what is the penalty for such crimes in israel? death? no! i dind't think so!

Guilty of supporting and giving aid to terrorists. How complex is it? In the middle of a war launched by Yassin and those aiding him, they are legitimate targets.

Logic, go to the Dahaf institute, they are the ones that conducted the study.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2004, 07:19 PM

Guilty of supporting and giving aid to terrorists. How complex is it? In the middle of a war launched by Yassin and those aiding him, they are legitimate targets.

Logic, go to the Dahaf institute, they are the ones that conducted the study.
I'll try that.

edit: wrong thread must get some sleep.....

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2004, 07:46 PM

vmarks:

I can't find their site. Do you have a link so I can go check it out?

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Mar 27, 2004, 01:29 PM

one less.

now can we dump shiron and his entire ****ing party? they're just human hemmhorids.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Forum Links
Forum Rules