Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Resident Evil : Apocalypse

Resident Evil : Apocalypse
Dex13
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2004, 04:28 PM

After running a funeral and ending at 9 pm me and my friends needed something to cheer us up, so we decided to go see Resident Evil 2.

I would have to say this movie was better than the first, as a video game movie. There were parts where it reminded me of playing the game, getting the **** scared out of you. What angered me the most was none of the S.T.A.R.S. were referenced to or at least looked like the characters from the game, except for Jill and even when you did see them they were either dead or about to be. I presume the reporter and the kid were taken from RE 2 (Ada Wong and the pesky 12 yo who followed Claire around). Secondly I thought the whole Alice vs. Nemesis thing was a shot from power rangers. Besides that it was a good movie and true to the game, especially the firefights w/ the zombies.

And now that I think about it I don't think Nemesis ever had guns, he just beat the **** out of you in every game.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2004, 10:17 PM

I could care less that its a video game movie... As long as Milla is in it, I'll go see it!

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2004, 12:17 AM

i was also pleased by the movie.
i enjoyed the first one (mainly because i thought it would blow hardcore...and it wasn't THAT bad.)

the second one had it's cheesy momemnts, and i wish it was more or a horror/action then an action/sci-fi thing.

all in all, pretty good though.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2004, 01:23 AM

The movie sucks, I just know it. Videogame was OK until after RE 2. The only thing with Milla in it that's good was The 5th Element.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2004, 03:52 AM

It is freaky watching the previews as it was all filmed in Toronto and seeing her run straight down our City hall and the whole city (with a few key landmarks digitally removed strange) getting nuked.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2004, 04:06 AM

The movie was absolutely horrible, by the way.

Brien
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2004, 05:02 AM

I thought, all in all, the movie was okay. Could have been better, but hey.

Dex13  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2004, 05:24 PM

On the drive home we came up w/ a new title:

Resident Evil 3: Thinking About It makes your Eyes Bleed

(Probably Best Understood if you Have seen Apocalypse)

shmerek
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2004, 06:05 PM

Originally posted by demograph68:
The movie sucks, I just know it. Videogame was OK until after RE 2. The only thing with Milla in it that's good was The 5th Element.
Any movie she gets naked in

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2004, 06:10 PM

Don't like the whole franchise so I'll pass.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2004, 07:08 PM

I saw the first one the other day, it was really boring and un-original.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2004, 09:16 PM

Dawn of the Dead was pretty good. Both of them are kinda cool, just don't treat the new one as a remake of the first. The new one doesn't have the whole philosophical side to it, but it had great special effects and action. A good zombie flick in general. Surprisingly good acting.

cszar2001
Photo Architect
Sep 13, 2004, 03:34 AM

This is what the IMDB has to say:

Any movie with a name like Resident Evil: Apocalypse is asking for a duel with critics. And they are shooting it down faster than a 14-year-old who has just shoved the video game on which it was based into his GameCube. The major problem, suggests Wesley Morris in the Boston Globe, is that "like so many movies with a keypad for a brain, Resident Evil: Apocalypse is another exercise in making us feel the irritation associated with having to stand behind some game hack for our turn to play." But Robert K. Elder in the Chicago Tribune indicates that even if viewers were able to play the game, it might not be worth it. "As video game movies go, this one contains less plot and character development than Pac-Man," he writes. Peter Howell in the Toronto Star suggests, that Torontonians may well want to see the film, since it was produced in their city. In fact, he writes, "There's just one reason for seeing this sad excuse for a zombie flick, apart from self-abuse. It's the chance to witness your fellow Hogtown residents running wild in the streets and being politically incorrect about just about everything, cannibalism included." Roger Ebert in the Chicago Sun-Times accompanies his review with this warning: "Parents: If you encounter teenagers who say they liked this movie, do not let them date your children."

Doesn`t sound to good.
I think I�ll give it a try nonetheless sometime.
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Sep 13, 2004, 12:52 PM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
I saw the first one the other day, it was really boring and un-original.
Kinda stupid, but it looked pretty damn nice on HD and I found it mildly amusing. Milla is such a terrible actor though.

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
It is freaky watching the previews as it was all filmed in Toronto and seeing her run straight down our City hall and the whole city (with a few key landmarks digitally removed strange) getting nuked.
This is about the only reason why I want to see it. Maybe on DVD.

"Peter Howell in the Toronto Star suggests, that Torontonians may well want to see the film, since it was produced in their city. In fact, he writes, "There's just one reason for seeing this sad excuse for a zombie flick, apart from self-abuse. It's the chance to witness your fellow Hogtown residents running wild in the streets and being politically incorrect about just about everything, cannibalism included."

It will be interesting to watch city hall blow up.

Beewee
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2004, 05:46 PM

I saw the first in the theatre and thought it was laughable. The scene where she "karate kicks" the dog was just stupid. I doubt it would be hard for them to make a better sequel to such a horrible first movie. But it reminded of RE1 where the acting is sooo bad it will make you laugh.

So I will probably go see RE Apoc. Just because I am so dedicated to the series. In this one I see that Milla uses her martial arts skills on zombies this time.

UR-20
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 13, 2004, 06:04 PM

I didn't like the first movie very much at all so I don't know if I'll actually go see apocalypse.

I did like how they kind of went into depth as to what the T-virus actually does to the infected, which was left out in the video games.

The licker was well animated..kinda. But made it look a bit too powerful when 2 or 3 shotgun shells killed it in the game.

But having an AI (Red queen)not explain herself as to why she went beserk (the outbreak), and just saying "You're all going to die down here" it's stupid.

The laser grid area: Stupid
The amnesia: Stupid

and the part where she kicks a zombie doberman reminded me of Tomb Raider 2 sucker punching the shark.

Forum Links
Forum Rules