Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Syria uses chemical weapons on Sudanese in Darfur

Syria uses chemical weapons on Sudanese in Darfur
vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 14, 2004, 08:45 PM

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...106666/1/.html

BERLIN : Syria tested chemical weapons on civilians in Sudan's troubled western Darfur region in June and killed dozens of people.

The German daily Die Welt newspaper, in an advance release of its Wednesday edition, citing unnamed western security sources, said that injuries apparently caused by chemical arms were found on the bodies of the victims.

Advertisement

It said that witnesses quoted by an Arabic news website called ILAF in an article on August 2 had said that several frozen bodies arrived suddenly at the "Al-Fashr Hospital" in the Sudanese capital Khartoum in June.

Die Welt said the sources had indicated that the weapons tests were undertaken following a military exercise between Syria and Sudan.

Syrian officers were reported to have met in May with Sudanese military leaders in a Khartoum suburb to discuss the possibility of improving cooperation between their armies.

According to Die Welt, the Syrians had suggested close cooperation on developing chemical weapons, and it was proposed that the arms be tested on the rebel SPLA, the Sudan People's Liberation Army, in the south.

But given that the rebels were involved in peace talks, the newspaper continued, the Sudanese government proposed testing the arms on people in Darfur.

Details of what were in the weapons were not disclosed.

The Sudanese government has been accused of arming and backing Arab militias, known as Janjaweed, which have rampaged through the western Darfur region for the past 19 months.

An estimated 50,000 people have been killed and 1.4 million more uprooted in a campaign against Darfur's black African population, which began in February 2003 when Khartoum and the Janjaweed cracked down on a rebel uprising.

The United States has accused Syria of trying to acquire materials and the know-how to develop chemical weapons and claims that Sudan has been seeking to improve its capability to produce them for many years.

- AFP
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2004, 09:06 PM

If thats true (which remains to be seen) that would be a crime against humanity and Syria would deserve to be carpet bombed into the stone age.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2004, 09:10 PM

Originally posted by MacGorilla:
If thats true (which remains to be seen) that would be a crime against humanity and Syria would deserve to be carpet bombed into the stone age.
Carpet bombing?! Why that's racist! How dare you?! Are you some primeval caveman! Ung Ung bomb like carpet!

If we bomb them, we'll have to make another World Tour trip round Africa and Middle East. Nobody said bomb Sudan, Zimbabwe, Iraq, Iran, etc. when they oppress and kill their people.

PacHead
Baninated
Sep 14, 2004, 09:13 PM

This doesn' surprise me one bit. I've always said Syria = evil, lowlife, terrorist supporters.

Spoogepieces
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 14, 2004, 09:24 PM

Now, now, Syria hasn't threatened America so we should just sit back (according to the coward lefties) and let Syria gas those people to death.

Sudan isn't a threat, why should we do anything to stop the madness? :roll:

PacHead
Baninated
Sep 14, 2004, 09:28 PM

Originally posted by Spoogepieces:
Now, now, Syria hasn't threatened America so we should just sit back (according to the coward lefties) and let Syria gas those people to death.

Sudan isn't a threat, why should we do anything to stop the madness? :roll:
Yep, better to sit back and let 'em keep gassing. Everybody knows one US troop on somebody's soil is far, far worse than anything that could have been happening there before.

Imagine if we tried to stop it, then the lefties would scream "Occupation!". They have a legitimate right to fight back, they are freedom fighters, who just want to be left alone so they can gas in peace !

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 14, 2004, 10:00 PM

Wonder where they got them...

Spoogepieces
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 14, 2004, 10:03 PM

Let's threaten them with 10 years of sanctions and Security Council resolutions. That'll show them.

tie
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2004, 10:06 PM

Originally posted by Spoogepieces:
How are you getting this political spin? The position of the right is no different from that of the left on this issue, AFAIK. If I'm wrong and Bush has said we are invading Syria in 48 hours, please let me know.

(Before this thread gets out of hand, let me say that I'd like to see more evidence. I'm sick of idiotic posts about unconfirmed reports about WMDs being found in Iraq -- which are always refuted.)

Atomic Rooster
Sep 14, 2004, 10:16 PM

Hasn't the U.S. and others, even some arab muslim countries told Syria to get out of Lebanon? I believe they have. With this thing in Sudan added to that I would definitely make like exit stage left outta there pronto and keep on going...maybe to Iran.

Bye Syria.

vmarks  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 14, 2004, 10:17 PM

This isn't US press making things up (CBS) -- this is AFP, or the French Press Agency.

Separating French Press from French Foreign Policy (despite the one being dragged into the other, journalists held hostage) - Given the french policies on Iraq, Israel (pronounced in French, 'that shi**y little country') and in the words of Bertrand Badie of l'Institut d'études politiques in Paris, that French Muslims became “a sort of substitute for the French foreign ministry" - it is noteworthy to see French Press reporting bad news about Syria and Sudan.

Of course, they could just be reporting the truth.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Atomic Rooster
Sep 14, 2004, 10:27 PM

Originally posted by vmarks:
This isn't US press making things up (CBS) -- this is AFP, or the French Press Agency.

Separating French Press from French Foreign Policy (despite the one being dragged into the other, journalists held hostage) - Given the french policies on Iraq, Israel (pronounced in French, 'that shi**y little country') and in the words of Bertrand Badie of l'Institut d'études politiques in Paris, that French Muslims became “a sort of substitute for the French foreign ministry" - it is noteworthy to see French Press reporting bad news about Syria and Sudan.

Of course, they could just be reporting the truth.
Whatever your feelings are about the press...the sources other than American are infinitely more reliable.

BBC, CBC etc...

Busemann
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2004, 06:20 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
Wonder where they got them...
Syria has since the 6 day-war been one of the largest producers of chemical weapons in the middle east, working largely independent of other states.

angaq0k
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2004, 06:31 AM

Originally posted by MacGorilla:

Agreed.

And to make sure it does not happen again, we should carpet-bomb the whole continent, and a few other countries elsewhere, like in South America.

Just to be sure.

"******* politics is for the ******* moment. ******** equations are for ******** Eternity." ******** Albert Einstein

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2004, 08:55 AM

This appears to be the article vmarks seems to be referring to:

http://www.welt.de/data/2004/09/15/332689.html

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2004, 10:16 PM

Hmmm...

It might be an example not of "sabre rattling," but CANNISTER rattling.

Maybe the Syrians got a look at the neo-con's plans for their little patch of sand and want to give US something to think about?

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 15, 2004, 11:25 PM

Originally posted by aberdeenwriter:
Hmmm...

It might be an example not of "sabre rattling," but CANNISTER rattling.

Maybe the Syrians got a look at the neo-con's plans for their little patch of sand and want to give US something to think about?
Think that would change any minds?

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2004, 11:56 PM

I'd like to know where Syria got these chemical weapons. I'd also like to know what happened to Iraq's tonage of chemical stocks.

What were we talking about post 9/11 - something about connecting the dots?

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 16, 2004, 12:04 AM

Originally posted by spacefreak:
I'd like to know where Syria got these chemical weapons. I'd also like to know what happened to Iraq's tonage of chemical stocks.

What were we talking about post 9/11 - something about connecting the dots?
I was trying to earlier.

But since there is no proof, I never pushed it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules