Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > My brief 2015 Macbook Air 13", 2016 MacBook Pro 13", and 2017 Macbook 12" comparison

My brief 2015 Macbook Air 13", 2016 MacBook Pro 13", and 2017 Macbook 12" comparison
mindwaves
Nov 9, 2017, 06:49 PM

I had previously owned a 2012 MacBook Pro 15" and a 2008 or so MacBook Pro 15". I bought a MacBook Air for portability purposes and love it and still use it today. However, the screen isnt that good, and it is a bit large and wouldn't fit in my small bag that I carry every day.

So I bought a 2016 MacBook Pro 13" (non-touchbar) on a whim which would easily fit inside my bag inside its padded case. I've been living the dongle life since then because I occasionally need to use thumb drives. I do miss MagSafe a lot. Never liked this laptop as much as the Air because although the computer is physically smaller, it doesn't weigh less, and actually weighs more considering the power adapter is 65W compared to the Air's 45W. Carrying both (computer +adapter) inside my bag would actually be more of a burden. I have since sold my Macbook Pro 15".

Because I travel a lot, I decided to buy a 12" 2017 Macbook (base model). It is much lighter and smaller than the 13" despite only being 1" screen size less. Its power adapter is also just 29W, which is just a bit bigger than the iPad's power adapter. One USB-C port is a bit of a pain, but I can live with it. It fits comfortably in my bag like the 13" Macbook Pro, but because it is smaller, I can fit additional things inside like a small umbrella comfortably. Overall, I like it more than my 13" Macbook Pro.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 10, 2017, 05:48 PM

How is a 13" MacBook Pro smaller than a MacBook Air?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 11, 2017, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
How is a 13" MacBook Pro smaller than a MacBook Air?
The 13“ MacBook Pro is smaller than the 13“ MacBook Air in every dimension, including maximum thickness.

P
Nov 13, 2017, 08:24 AM

The trick is that the MBP i 16:10 while the MBA is 16:9, and that the MBP has a uniform thickness instead of the MBA wedge. The 16:10 thing should mean that the depth is greater, but Apple has managed to reduce the width of the fame around the display by making the Facetime camera smaller
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

mindwaves  (op)
Nov 18, 2017, 09:53 PM

Having used my new MacBook for over a week in business travel, I can say that it is great. I used it on a cramped bus, on the bed (now), and everywhere. It is small enough that I can show someone something while holding just the base of it with one hand. Like it a lot.

Only downfall is one USB-C port. I can't charge it while charging my phone at the same time. I need to bring a wall charger with me (added weight and bulk and something else to lose at the hotel).

edit: I prefer the MacBook when traveling, but I prefer my MBA on the couch. It is more weighty which is good on the couch.
( Last edited by mindwaves; Nov 29, 2017 at 12:29 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules