Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Apple Arcade Game Recommendations

Apple Arcade Game Recommendations
andi*pandi
Mar 26, 2021, 02:16 PM

So I got 3 free months of Arcade with my new ipad. Like I need more distractions... but the ipad has plenty of space, and I'm sick of Clash of Clans, so let's try a few.

Cozy Grove: real-time puzzle/hidden object with minimal story. Despite cuteness, humor and references are aimed at adults or savvy teens. Good for playing for an hour then you have to wait til the next day for more to do. Is this good? It means you are not playing all day, but it's also annoying to have to wait for things to grow etc.

PacMan pro: loses a lot of the charm of plain ol' pacman.

I tried another a dungeon-crawler, but wasn't sure the ipad was the best way of playing this type of game, when I have a playstation/switch <over there>.

Anything else?

Demonhood
Administrator
Mar 26, 2021, 06:18 PM

My favorites thus far:

SP!NG - Hard to explain what this is...but it's good for at least a few minutes each time.
What the Golf - Not a golf game. You'll see.

andi*pandi  (op)
May 27, 2021, 01:57 PM

Well, I'm 67 days into Cozy Grove and there are more bears that need help... some stories seem almost over which will be rewarding but also getting sick of fetching everyone's mail. Will I finish before the free trial runs out? Is the game designed to last forever? ("be patient as it may take several days for this item to be available...") It's basically a resource management game. Hoarding items until some bear needs it...

Oregon Trail: This version is very true to the original spirit, but seemed longer with more details. Oddly hunting is the same. They've added personality traits to your party members, and while there is some choice, the choices are randomly provided. So my party had 2 farmers, 1 businessman, and 2 useless religious zealots. Somehow the businessman survived the longest but he was so annoying (kept quitting, generally selfish) that I intentionally let him get snakebit. RIP indeed.

What the Golf is good quick fun (SO MANY PUNS) but quickly escalated into "this level is not possible" strata.

Sping reminds me a bit of if cut the rope met a rocket game.

andi*pandi  (op)
Jul 1, 2021, 11:09 AM

Cozy Grove: Reader, I did not finish before the free trial ran out. It seems designed to ensure that one never finishes. They have just added bugs to catch, to which I say, eff that noiz. The more they make it like Animal Crossing (buying clothes, farming fruit, catching bugs) the less I like it. Stick to the depressed bear storylines! At this point it's like a book you started reading and are 50 pages from the end, so you have to finish it.

UnoRules
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2021, 02:17 PM

I love What the Golf!! Hooked!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules