Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Other countries building walls now

Other countries building walls now
vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 18, 2004, 10:55 AM

Just one month after the U.N. and EU launched a furious campaign against Israel's security fence, culminating in the International Court of Justice ruling that the fence is illegal, the EU announced it's planning to build a separation fence of its own, and invited Israel to participate in the construction.

The fence is being built to separate recently added EU members Poland and Hungary from their new neighbors � Russia, Belarus and Ukraine. The EU said the fence is necessary to "prevent the free movement of migrants seeking to enter" EU territory.

Israeli companies that specialize in the construction of fences and security systems will participate in tenders to build hundreds of miles of fences along the EU's new eastern border.

http://www.globes.co.il/serveen/glob...823974&fid=942

So, the EU needs a fence to keep out illegal immigrants, but Israel can't have one to keep citizens from being bombed or shot at? And when the EU decides it needs a fence, who does it bid the job to? Israel!

Hypocrisy is such a lovely thing to observe.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

djohnson
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2004, 11:11 AM

Originally posted by vmarks:
...So, the EU needs a fence to keep out illegal immigrants, but Israel can't have one to keep citizens from being bombed or shot at? And when the EU decides it needs a fence, who does it bid the job to? Israel!

Nice catch! So now is the EU going to go along with Israel in building thier(Israeli) wall?

Phone call

EU: We noticed that ya'll build good walls. Do you think you can build one for us?
Israel: I thought ya'll didn't like our wall?
EU: Uhh well... We changed our minds...
Israel: Ok, we will build your wall if you let us keep ours.
EU: Deal.

dcolton
Banned
Aug 18, 2004, 11:11 AM

How ironic!

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 18, 2004, 11:21 AM

Yes, I heard that to create a buffer zone between the EU and Russia, the fence will actually be built 100km inside Russian territory. It will also do a detour to encircle St. Petersburg which the EU plans to settle with EU citizens.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 18, 2004, 11:26 AM

Just one month after the U.N. and EU launched a furious campaign against Israel's security fence, culminating in the International Court of Justice ruling that the fence is illegal, the EU announced it's planning to build a separation fence of its own, and invited Israel to participate in the construction.

The fence is being built to separate recently added EU members Poland and Hungary from their new neighbors � Russia, Belarus and Ukraine. The EU said the fence is necessary to "prevent the free movement of migrants seeking to enter" EU territory.

Israeli companies that specialize in the construction of fences and security systems will participate in tenders to build hundreds of miles of fences along the EU's new eastern border.

So, the EU needs a fence to keep out illegal immigrants, but Israel can't have one to keep citizens from being bombed or shot at? And when the EU decides it needs a fence, who does it bid the job to? Israel!

Apples and oranges. Please don't insult our intelligence.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Dr.HermanG.
Senior User
Aug 18, 2004, 11:28 AM

Mr. Gorbachev: Tear down this wall (so we can move it further west!)

Ah, well, no different than the attempts to keep out those crossing from Mexico to the United States.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 18, 2004, 11:33 AM

Originally posted by Dr.HermanG.:
Ah, well, no different than the attempts to keep out those crossing from Mexico to the United States.
Yes, that is a good analogy

I'm not a big believer in walls, but at least it is within EU territory = perfectly legal.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 18, 2004, 11:34 AM

Originally posted by Troll:
Yes, I heard that to create a buffer zone between the EU and Russia, the fence will actually be built 100km inside Russian territory. It will also do a detour to encircle St. Petersburg which the EU plans to settle with EU citizens.
There you go again trying to make the Israelis look bad.

At least Russia, Belarus, and Ukraine are sovereign countries.
Of course, if the EU did try and build their fence 100km inside
Russian territory you can be damn sure Russian "terrorists" would
come out in force blowing up themselves in EU cafes.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2004, 11:35 AM

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Aug 18, 2004, 11:37 AM

Originally posted by voodoo:
Apples and oranges. Please don't insult our intelligence.
How so? Honest question here. I see two security fences being built to wall in a certain ethnic group.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Lysistrata
Banned
Aug 18, 2004, 11:42 AM

Originally posted by Millennium:
How so? Honest question here. I see two security fences being built to wall in a certain ethnic group.
Poles and Russians are both Slavs. Your point is therefore void.

But it is strange that 2 moderators are cheerleaders for israel. So much for neutrality.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 18, 2004, 11:44 AM

Two main differences.

1. The Israeli fence is illegal because it is not built on their own land.

2. There is an ethnic group being walled in in Israel yes, but not in the EU. Quote the article: "The EU plans to build a fence to separate its new members - Poland and Hungary - from its new neighbors - Russia, Belarus and Ukraine - to prevent the free movement of migrants seeking to enter the EU."

Poland is slavic, like Russia, Belarus and Ukraine. This is supposed to be a practical fence to hinder flow of illegal immigrants into the EU from Russia, Belarus and Ukraine. It is a social fence not a security fence as they claim in Israel.

The difference is staring you into the face. There is a practical difference, there is a moral difference and there is a legal difference between the two. Granted they are both fences - but that is where the similarity ends.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 18, 2004, 11:45 AM

So, the EU needs a fence to keep out illegal immigrants, but Israel can't have one to keep citizens from being bombed or shot at?
[...]
There is nothing wrong with the fence per se. The problem is where the Israeli fence runs. Nobody complained that Israel is building a fence, but where it is building the fence.

There is no hypocrisy to observe.

djohnson
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2004, 11:45 AM

Originally posted by Lysistrata:

But it is strange that 2 moderators are cheerleaders for israel. So much for neutrality.
It is the same as if they were against Israel. Your posts make no sense...

djohnson
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2004, 11:46 AM

Originally posted by TETENAL:
There is nothing wrong with the fence per se. The problem is where the Israeli fence runs. Nobody complained that Israel is building a fence, but where it is building the fence.

Ahh but ya'll forget, to the Israeli their wall is in their land.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 18, 2004, 11:46 AM

Originally posted by djohnson:
It is the same as if they were against Israel. Your posts make no sense...
I guess he was hoping to find the moderators NEITHER for or against. :/

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 18, 2004, 11:48 AM

Originally posted by TETENAL:

Precisely!

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 18, 2004, 11:49 AM

Ahh but ya'll forget, to the Israeli their wall is in their land.
No we don't have to even consider that. Since they are the only ones that think so. Their claims to land are hollow and without merit. More importantly they are completely without support. Even their staunchest ally, the US, does not recognize the occupied territories as a part of Israel. <shrug>

djohnson
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2004, 11:50 AM

Originally posted by voodoo:
I guess he was hoping to find the moderators NEITHER for or against. :/
Good luck... I find it hard to be neutral on any subject. It is the same as a light switch, it is either on or off... I can be for or against a thing, but not neutral.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 18, 2004, 11:52 AM

Good luck... I find it hard to be neutral on any subject. It is the same as a light switch, it is either on or off... I can be for or against a thing, but not neutral.
True, I don't expect it from them, some do. :/

eklipse
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2004, 11:57 AM

Originally posted by Troll:
*SMACKDOWN*

gerbnl
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 18, 2004, 11:57 AM

It pleases me that at least on this point i can contradict you:

Hypocrisy is NOT a lovely thing to observe.

I fscking hate it, but at least i don't feel the need to support my government (dutch or EU) in all they do...
These people are Americans. Don't expect anything meaningful or... uh... normalcy...

djohnson
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2004, 12:05 PM

Originally posted by eklipse:
*SMACKDOWN*
Explain.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Aug 18, 2004, 12:37 PM

Originally posted by Lysistrata:
They both have Slavic origins, but the centuries have provided a fair amount of differentiation. Not that it matters; ethnicity is more or less an artificial construct anyway, so we can both be correct simply by setting the bar wherever we want. I believe you're going entirely too far back in history, rather like the assertion that Israel was a Jewish homeland before the Romans drove them out and that this gives them a legitimate claim to the occupied territories.
First, I am not a moderator in the PoliWar Lounge; I have absolutely no more power here than any other user.
Second, since when am I a cheerleader for Israel? Am I not speaking out against both the EU and Israeli walls? Believe me, Lysistrata, I am no fan of Israel. At the same time, they are not a nation of monsters, and it is important to recognize that even in the midst of criticism.

Third, if you want to speak of the moderators for all of the forums on this site in general, you should know that there are many moderators who do not post in the PoliWar Lounge at all.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 18, 2004, 12:45 PM

Am I not speaking out against both the EU and Israeli walls?
I don't know. Are you?

Are you also speaking out against the fence at the US-Mexican border?

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 18, 2004, 12:45 PM

The only difference why some of you can't see the difference is because you don't want to.

But that doesn't surprise me anymore than that a moderator in the pol lounge is more biased than David Gruen.

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 18, 2004, 12:52 PM

Originally posted by Logic:
But that doesn't surprise me anymore than that a moderator in the pol lounge is more biased than David Gruen.
Is that similar to the "LBK for Mod" crowd?
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 18, 2004, 12:57 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
Is that similar to the "LBK for Mod" crowd?
She's a mod? You better tell her that.

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 18, 2004, 12:58 PM

Originally posted by Logic:
She's a mod? You better tell her that.
Wouldn't she be as opinionated, or worse?
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 18, 2004, 12:59 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
Wouldn't she be as opinionated, or worse?
Did she become a mod? If not it doesn't matter if people wanted her as a mod.

But lets get back on topic(however desperate vmarks attempt was).

Dr.HermanG.
Senior User
Aug 18, 2004, 01:04 PM

Guess it boils down to consent. Israel building the wall in occupied territories amounts to rape.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 18, 2004, 01:11 PM

Originally posted by Dr.HermanG.:
Guess it boils down to consent. Israel building the wall in occupied territories amounts to rape.
Exactamente

Atomic Rooster
Aug 18, 2004, 02:33 PM

What the fekk you talkin' 'bout Willis?

That is just plain fuking ridiculous to compare walling off a people from free movement in there own territory to protecting ones own borders.

Sheesh!

I haven't read the thread yet but I often find it hard to get past the original poster when a ridiculous remark has been made.

Forum Links
Forum Rules