Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > how's that cease-fire, Abbas?

how's that cease-fire, Abbas?
vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 29, 2005, 10:07 AM

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...l_palestinians

Thu Apr 28, 2:26 PM ET
JERUSALEM - In his toughest warning to militants, Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas on Thursday threatened to strike with an "iron fist" anyone who violates a truce with Israel and pledged quiet during Israel's withdrawal from the Gaza Strip and four West Bank settlements this summer.

-----

Which should be taken with a healthy dose of doubt:

Palestinians fire anti-tank missile at IDF post

Security guard and soldier have guns stolen

Soldiers arrest Fatah terrorist in West Bank

Palestinian gunmen fire mortar bomb at troops, no casualties reported

Palestinians fire at IDF outpost in Gaza; no injuries reported

All from yesterday.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Taliesin
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2005, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by vmarks

JERUSALEM - In his toughest warning to militants, Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas on Thursday threatened to strike with an "iron fist" anyone who violates a truce with Israel and pledged quiet during Israel's withdrawal from the Gaza Strip and four West Bank settlements this summer.

-----

Which should be taken with a healthy dose of doubt:

Palestinians fire anti-tank missile at IDF post

Security guard and soldier have guns stolen

Soldiers arrest Fatah terrorist in West Bank

Palestinian gunmen fire mortar bomb at troops, no casualties reported

Palestinians fire at IDF outpost in Gaza; no injuries reported

All from yesterday.
Guess what, Israel's government, its forces and settlers weren't losing time either, killing at least 15 palestinians since the truce was announced, planning to build thousands of new settler homes in the Westbank, poisoning wells and farmland, starting again to kill palestinian militants by disguising as arabs, etc...

It's obvious that Israel and its settlers try to provoke the palestinians to return back to guerillia-war and retaliations inside Israel. Here are the relevant BBC-reports:

Westbank-farms poisoned by israeli settlers: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/4482211.stm

Plans to build thousands of new settler-homes in the Westbank: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/4368297.stm

IDF killed three palestinian teenagers in Gaza: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/4428351.stm

Disguised as arabs israeli special units kill palestinian militant in the Westbank:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/4444859.stm

Taliesin

vmarks  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 29, 2005, 01:51 PM

Of course, you pick the BBC, the same source that makes it's own news by planting hecklers at political rallies for candidates it doesn't like.

Let's see: 1) no facts other than Amnesty International as a source.
2) the building of homes to join a community with Israel. big deal.
3) people in a no-go area.
4) no clear story here: beeb says disguised as an arab, myantiwar.com and al-jazeera repeated that an 'israeli commando' was dressed as a woman, it appears this disguise nonsense is fiction. Israeli sources said Smeri, the first Palestinian to be killed by troops in the West Bank in more than a month, had been planning a shooting attack in Jerusalem and responded to an attempt to arrest him by opening fire at the soldiers.

The soldiers returned fire, wounding the 23-year-old who died shortly afterward despite receiving treatment at an army post, the sources said.

I understand now. the cease-fire is only violated when Israel responds. The mortars and rockets and deaths caused by Fatah (abbas' party), Al-Aqsa (abbas' own wing of Fatah), these mean nothing.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2005, 02:03 PM

I've said it before and I'll say it again.
Let both sides fight until a) both sides completely give up or b) both sides wipe each other out completely.
Either solution is fine with me.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

PacHead
Baninated
Apr 29, 2005, 02:04 PM

In an enormous good faith gesture, Israel is soon to pull out of Gaza.

What are the Palestinian plans for Gaza after Israel pulls out ?

Their ingenious peace plan is of course to wage war and to fire rockets into Israel.

Members of Hamas, Islamic Jihad and Fatah's Al Aqsa Martyrs Brigade "whose commitments are conditional" want to resume fighting, the source said. The groups are arming, recruiting, training and planning for the next round of fighting, the senior officer said.

Thousands of guns, including Kalashnikov assault rifles and handguns, are smuggled from Egypt into the Gaza Strip and the West Bank. Prices have dropped, indicating some of the demand has been met.
Other weapons include rocket-propelled grenades, explosives, anti-tank rockets and probably Strella anti-aircraft missiles, the source said.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/world...5414-5499r.htm

Israel should ready the Apaches, F-16s and various missiles to retaliate for every single missile, no matter how crude, that the palestinians launch.

You give somebody peace, and they still want war ? Well, it's time to give them what they really want and desire. Flatten them, and discuss peace with the remaining survivors.

PacHead
Baninated
Apr 29, 2005, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy
I've said it before and I'll say it again.
Let both sides fight until a) both sides completely give up or b) both sides wipe each other out completely.
Either solution is fine with me.
You forgot

c) Let them fight until Israel destroys them, because that is exactly what would happen.

I'm not too crazy about this whole peace thing either, especially when the weaker side does not want peace. So, give 'em war. It's pretty simple really.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2005, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by PacHead
You forgot

c) Let them fight until Israel destroys them, because that is exactly what would happen.
That's fine too. Good point! Then when the IDF is done decimating the Palestinians Syria, Jordan, Egypt and Saudi Arabia will attack Israel in retaliation. Then we will see some real fighting.

Those who want war should get war. And I think every country in the Middle East would love nothing better than a fully involved conflict of "us against them".
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Apr 29, 2005, 02:39 PM

Isreal attacks Palestine, Syria, and Jordan. Wipes them out.
Saudi Arabia makes a move to go in.. but is repelled from IRAQ as we just freed them...and a new US / British / Iraqi Coalition demolishes the Saudis and then we own all the oil.

We all give a collective middle finger to Germany / France / Russia.

OreoCookie
Apr 29, 2005, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by budster101
Isreal attacks Palestine, Syria, and Jordan. Wipes them out.
Saudi Arabia makes a move to go in.. but is repelled from IRAQ as we just freed them...and a new US / British / Iraqi Coalition demolishes the Saudis and then we own all the oil.

We all give a collective middle finger to Germany / France / Russia.
Eeeeeh, yes, then you could drive your SUV again without ever thinking about gas and feel great, because you are soooo much better than all the others
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

budster101
Baninated
Apr 29, 2005, 03:01 PM

You betcha! I don't drive an SUV though. I was thinking about how we have been raped by the OIL sheiks over the decades. I'd rather drive a nice hybrid SUV though and fly real real cheap. Nothing wrong with being thrifty.

We are better than Germany / France / and Russia.

OreoCookie
Apr 29, 2005, 04:18 PM

Be careful not to spend too much time in the sun ... your ego might heat up, expand and eventually explode.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

PacHead
Baninated
Apr 29, 2005, 04:25 PM

We are better than Germany / France / and Russia.
We most definitely are, in just about every conceivable category, including economically, millitarily, scientifically, morally, you name it.

Just to be fair and balanced�, the Germans do have better beer than us, the French make a better baguette than we do, and the Russians can probably drink a whole lot more vodka than we do.

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2005, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by vmarks

Militants Arrested by PA Security

Of course, you pick the BBC, the same source that makes it's own news by planting hecklers at political rallies for candidates it doesn't like....
...Which turned out to be a false allegation because the BBC were actually filming a documentary about heckling, which was subsequently aired and showed they'd been analysing hecklers at all three main party rallies.

But carry on with your multiple posts of negativity, because as we've all learnt from the many years the Israel-Palestine conflict, it really helps us to reach a resolution.

budster101
Baninated
Apr 29, 2005, 04:33 PM

You had me at "We most definately are.."

They can't make better Beer anymore, Microbreweries in the USA rock.
The French no longer have the corner on the Baquette or the Madeleins (sp), can do that too.
Russians and Vodka? Ok. They win that one.

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2005, 04:52 PM

I was thinking about how we have been raped by the OIL sheiks over the decades.
Say that, again?

How have you been raped?

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2005, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by PacHead
We most definitely are, in just about every conceivable category, including economically, millitarily, scientifically, morally, you name it.

Just to be fair and balanced�, the Germans do have better beer than us, the French make a better baguette than we do, and the Russians can probably drink a whole lot more vodka than we do.

I think you should stop drinking that German beer, and the vodka. The French baguette is a bad mix with these drinks; it acts as a sponge and keeps you drunk longer...

budster101
Baninated
Apr 30, 2005, 05:14 PM

Raped financially.... do you need things spelled out to you? You don't happen to read out loud while reading these posts do you?

Forum Links
Forum Rules