Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Saudis afraid of returning 'insurgents' from Iraq, plan 'apartheid' fence

Saudis afraid of returning 'insurgents' from Iraq, plan 'apartheid' fence
vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 19, 2006, 09:25 PM

The common impression left-wing folks give us is that the 'insurgency' in Iraq is 95% composed of Iraqis.

I think the Saudis know differently.

The Israeli security fence is commonly called an 'apartheid wall' by those same left-wing folks.

The Saudis are planning on building such a security fence.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...126835,00.html

SAUDI ARABIA has invited bids for the construction of a security fence along the entire length of its 900km (560mile) desert border with Iraq in a multimillion-pound project that will attract interest from British defence companies.

The barrier is part of a package to secure the Kingdom’s 6,500km of borders in an attempt to improve internal security and bolster its defences against external threats.

Saudi Arabia is concerned that the chaos in Iraq could cause an overspill of sectarian violence and terrorism. The kingdom claims to be winning the battle against al-Qaeda’s Saudi wing but wants to protect itself against Saudi insurgents returning from Iraq.

--------

Don't you hate it when the problems you've been breeding return home to roost?

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2006, 10:20 PM

The difference between the apartheid wall and this is that the Saudis will do this on their own territory.

A fact you so conveniently forget each time we have this discussion.

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

vmarks  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 20, 2006, 09:51 AM

I never forget that you'll claim anything to blame Israelis.

The wall in Israel was re-routed to be assuage objections to it, despite the fact that it is on disputed territory that some believe rightly belongs to Israel, control won in a defensive war, and Egypt and Jordan (previous occupiers? where were the complaints then?) refused to take them back under UN 242.

But you also conveniently ignore that the Saudis are afraid of their returning jihadis from Iraq.

Why would that be? Because they have more people in the 'insurgency' than you've been willing to admit before?

eklipse
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2006, 10:23 AM

Saudi Arabia and Israel are just as bad as each other.

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2006, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by vmarks
Blame Israel? You were the one who brought up the "parallels" between the two walls. I just pointed out that you were wrong.
The wall in Israel was re-routed to be assuage objections to it, despite the fact that it is on disputed territory that some believe rightly belongs to Israel, control won in a defensive war, and Egypt and Jordan (previous occupiers? where were the complaints then?) refused to take them back under UN 242.
These excuses might work for the history re-writers that call themselves Zionists but for the rest of the world it doesn't. The Wall is built on Palestinian territory hindering their free movement within their own territory.

And btw, you don't win territory in a defensive war. In a defensive war you defend your borders. But unfortunately Israel don't have any borders yet so they'll just decide on their own (in blatant disregard of international laws).

No one except blind Zionists and their puppets in America believe Israel has any right to the post-67 conquered borders. No one.
But you also conveniently ignore that the Saudis are afraid of their returning jihadis from Iraq.

Why would that be? Because they have more people in the 'insurgency' than you've been willing to admit before?
Perhaps they are trying to prevent Iraqi refugees from streaming over into their country?

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

Kevin
Baninated
Apr 20, 2006, 11:06 AM

von your side attacked Israel in attempts to get all that land. Israel attacks back and takes a small amount more.

Sounds like you sir are a sore loser.

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2006, 01:08 PM

Don't you hate it when the problems you've been breeding return home to roost?
Nope - I hope the wall is an utter failure and the Saudi state is brought down.

Nicko
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2006, 05:46 PM

Aren't you stretching reality a little bit even for your standards?

Last paragraph of that article you posted:

"Riyadh is worried by the rise to power in Iraq of the Shia majority, with its close links with Iran, which Saudi Arabia mistrusts. It is concerned that its Shia minority, which is concentrated in the oil-producing eastern province, may become radicalised."

I think the despotic rulers in Saudi Arabia should be afraid.

But what was your point anyway? Just trolling?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2006, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by lil'babykitten
Nope - I hope the wall is an utter failure and the Saudi state is brought down.
Considering how much Oil they export I highly doubt this will ever happen without the US stepping in.

Perhaps you yourself are in a delusional coma if you think insurgents are going to topple such a wealthy and important country as Saudi Arabia.

Dr Reducto
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 20, 2006, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by sek929
Considering how much Oil they export I highly doubt this will ever happen without the US stepping in.

Perhaps you yourself are in a delusional coma if you think insurgents are going to topple such a wealthy and important country as Saudi Arabia.

According to some experts at a roundtable on Iraq I went to, the Saudis are extremely worried about Shi'ite unrest in the eastern part of Saudi Arabia (aka where the oil fields are). Unrest could threaten their bread and butter, and thus, they have a whole lot to lose

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 20, 2006, 06:48 PM

They should build a huge wall, not a fence. Just to take some wind out of the Chinese sails.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2006, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Dr Reducto
According to some experts at a roundtable on Iraq I went to, the Saudis are extremely worried about Shi'ite unrest in the eastern part of Saudi Arabia (aka where the oil fields are). Unrest could threaten their bread and butter, and thus, they have a whole lot to lose
With all the money they get from us I'm sure they'll figure out a way to survive.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 20, 2006, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by von Wrangell
These excuses might work for the history re-writers that call themselves Zionists but for the rest of the world it doesn't. The Wall is built on Palestinian territory hindering their free movement within their own territory.
That excuse might work for the history rewriters who call themselves Arabists and who invented and perpetuated a fake identity for a mass of undistinguished Arabs.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules