Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > time to dig in, conservatives.

time to dig in, conservatives.
vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 5, 2008, 03:06 AM

We stand up for our principles.

We do not apologize for our beliefs. We do not re-brand them, re-form them, or relinquish them. We defend them.

We pay respect to the office of the Presidency.

We count our blessings and recommit ourselves to our constitutional republic.

First assignment for fiscal conservatives in Washington:
1) Oppose the Democrats’ next stimulus boondoggle.
2) Oppose Obama’s windfall profits tax proposal.
3) Oppose new bailouts for states deep in debt.
4) Oppose new foreclosure prevention measures that will provide perverse incentives for borrowers to walk away and delay a needed market correction.
5) Oppose federal loan guarantees for corporations, on the basis that Washington has no idea whether the AIG bailout is “working.”

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2008, 03:23 AM

Time for conservatives to get back to basics. In the ebb and flow of politics, each party has its time where it must regroup and discuss the ridiculous things it did that lead to its loss of power. What we need is a new Gingrich to come along with a clear sense of mission to expound on the points illustrated above.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2008, 03:25 AM

At least Repubs can still get up and read the Dictionary in the Senate if it gets too far out of hand.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

The Crook
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 5, 2008, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
At least Repubs can still get up and read the Dictionary in the Senate if it gets too far out of hand.
Republicans will filibuster virtually everything.

Mark my words.

Personally, I'm a fan of invoking the nuclear option (or constitutional option). Why? It's a bad rule; it does nothing but facilitate stasis and gridlock in Congress. The Democrats were wrong to favor keeping the rule a few years ago.

Crooked Member of the MacNN Atheist Clique.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2008, 04:03 AM

Sounds great to me! This country works best when the gov't is gridlocked. I hope they keep the senate locked down for years. Hell, they should just drag out their iPhones and start reading Wikipedia from the beginning, that ought to do it.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Cipher13
Nov 5, 2008, 04:06 AM

If I didn't actually know your government "worked" the way it did, I wouldn't believe it if told.

It's like something Douglas Adams would come up with in jest.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2008, 04:07 AM

time to dig in, conservatives
What, deeper?
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2008, 05:29 AM

Like a Republican friend of mine said, the Republicans didn't deserve to win because the current leaders haven't governed like conservatives. Hopefully now that we've cleared house of some of the big-government Republicans, the party can get back to the ideals it's supposed to hold.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

PaperNotes
Nov 5, 2008, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Like a Republican friend of mine said, the Republicans didn't deserve to win because the current leaders haven't governed like conservatives. Hopefully now that we've cleared house of some of the big-government Republicans, the party can get back to the ideals it's supposed to hold.
They are all political prostitutes to the UN. Like it or not, Republican and Democrat politicians are all nursing from the same source

Comrades, We Must Unite And All Hail Obama!
( Last edited by PaperNotes; Jan 9, 2018 at 06:22 AM. )

kobi
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2008, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by vmarks View Post

We do not apologize for our beliefs. We do not re-brand them, re-form them, or relinquish them. We defend them.

We pay respect to the office of the Presidency.

We count our blessings and recommit ourselves to our constitutional republic.

First assignment for fiscal conservatives in Washington:
1) Oppose the Democrats’ next stimulus boondoggle.
2) Oppose Obama’s windfall profits tax proposal.
3) Oppose new bailouts for states deep in debt.
4) Oppose new foreclosure prevention measures that will provide perverse incentives for borrowers to walk away and delay a needed market correction.
5) Oppose federal loan guarantees for corporations, on the basis that Washington has no idea whether the AIG bailout is “working.”
Your kidding right? lol

The Republican Party is so broken, it's going to take years (2-3) to reorganize.

Everything listed above such as the bailouts were proposed by Bush and Co, if you forgot they are Republicans.

Your going to have to do a lot better as a party, for you to get anything done the next 2-4 years. But as broken as the GOP is, it's going to take time to bounce back.
The Religious Right is neither.

vmarks  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 5, 2008, 09:07 AM

I don't think I mentioned Republicans once, kobi.

I named conservatives. Sometimes there's an intersection or overlap of conservatives with Republicans, but the two are not the same.

vmarks  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 5, 2008, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Cipher13 View Post
If I didn't actually know your government "worked" the way it did, I wouldn't believe it if told.

It's like something Douglas Adams would come up with in jest.
It's actually pretty cool. We all know that it's humorous, and at the same time, we have great mechanisms to protect the minority from the tyranny of the majority.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2008, 09:52 AM

Here's a starter conservatives:

Quit with the stupid religious crap.

Thanks.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2008, 10:01 AM

I'm wondering if we should just get out of the way of the Dems and allow them to drive the car into a tree for the next four years. Now that they are to control 2/3 branches of the federal government, it will be a lot harder for them to blame the problems they create, or don't fix, on conservatives.

vmarks, you said that you're not talking about Republicans but conservatives. The fact is that the Republican party is the mainstream conservative party in the United States unless some considerable realignment occurs. I think the best thing we can do for the party is to inculcate libertarian values and ideals so that it can reformulate itself as the true party of limited government. Either that or we have to all jump ship to the Libertarian Party. This year we got McCain, a center-left, big government Republican, and in the face of that choice the country chose a true leftist. In four years, we'll have a country largely disaffected with a weak and ineffectual BHO who probably will have allowed America to get hit by some major act of terrorism or international crisis, and the Republicans will have an opportunity to reclaim the presidency if a true conservative gets chosen to take him on.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Nov 5, 2008 at 10:15 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

DKeithA
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 5, 2008, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post

Thanks.
Yeah, the Jesus-freak manipulation of the small-minded has got to go. Enough already.

PaperNotes
Nov 5, 2008, 10:09 AM

Thanks.
Don't blame them! All the religious people ran over to the Republican side during the Cold War because they were scared of communist infiltration in the Left and the support for Radical Left movements. Oddly, for all the shadiness of Comrade Obama's past he has been going to the most fanatical churches in Chicago run by firebrand preachers unlike Bush who always went to a small Texan church run by boring preachers.
( Last edited by PaperNotes; Jan 9, 2018 at 06:22 AM. )

Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2008, 10:13 AM

Its time for some introspection. The GOP used to stand for honorable principles like personal responsibility and limited government, but it has steered terribly off course. If you guys come back with another Sarah Palin, Romney some other pretender..prepare to be knocked out. If you try to win by scaring people, prepare to be knocked out.

I want a strong GOP, and losing this election was necessary to get there. Hopefully change is coming to the Republicans too.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2008, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by PaperNotes
Don't blame them! All the religious people ran over to the Republican side during the Cold War because they were scared of communist infiltration in the Left and the support for Radical Left movements. Oddly, for all the shadiness of Comrade Obama's past he has been going to the most fanatical churches in Chicago run by firebrand preachers unlike Bush who always went to a small Texan church run by boring preachers.
No, it's not their fault they pander to the Christians and actively seek out legislation that originates from their superstition and bigotry.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2008, 10:18 AM

Moderator, I agree with you to the extent that the GOP should return to its noble principles. I disagree with you on Gov. Palin, although I must admit it will be difficult for her to gain traction nationally if that's what she hopes to do. She would probably have to run for the Senate and distinguish herself there first. She wasn't quite ready for a national campaign.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2008, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I'm wondering if we should just get out of the way of the Dems and allow them to drive the car into a tree for the next four years.
Yup. They have the rope, now let them hang themselves.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 5, 2008, 10:23 AM

In four years, we'll have a country largely disaffected with a weak and ineffectual BHO who probably will have allowed America to get hit by some major act of terrorism or international crisis, and the Republicans will have an opportunity to reclaim the presidency if a true conservative gets chosen to take him on.
Fortunately, our current Republican administration hasn't allowed either of those.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2008, 10:28 AM

Oh, just a reminder kiddies. Expect a major terrorist attack within the next 12 months. The terrorist monkeys will be eager to test your new prez out.

PaperNotes
Nov 5, 2008, 10:33 AM

No, it's not their fault they pander to the Christians and actively seek out legislation that originates from their superstition and bigotry.
You just described every politician in the world including Our Comrade who promises us Change!
( Last edited by PaperNotes; Jan 9, 2018 at 06:21 AM. )

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2008, 10:40 AM

You guys are hilarious.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2008, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
You guys are hilarious.
Shouldn't you be out in the streets jumping around and stuff?

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2008, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by PaperNotes View Post
You just described every politician in the world including Our Comrade who promises us Change!
The difference being that generally Democrats don't allow their personal religious beliefs to influence their policies quite as much. Generally, a Democrat's religious beliefs have also been more tolerant of others. There are notable exceptions on both sides.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2008, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Oh, just a reminder kiddies. Expect a major terrorist attack within the next 12 months. The terrorist monkeys will be eager to test your new prez out.
Hey, thanks for the good wishes!

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2008, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
Hey, thanks for the good wishes!
You're welcome.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2008, 10:48 AM

Doofy's just restating what Joe Biden said himself. It's not going to be at all clear that this untested, inexperienced president will be making the right choice in response to said crisis, either.

PaperNotes
Nov 5, 2008, 10:48 AM

The difference being that generally Democrats don't allow their personal religious beliefs to influence their policies quite as much. Generally, a Democrat's religious beliefs have also been more tolerant of others. There are notable exceptions on both sides.
I think this is a myth the Left likes to perpetuate (and on their side they follow all sorts of bizarre nonsense). If they have a religious belief then no doubt it has an influence, they just don't wear it as a badge. But then Bush hasn't really worn religion as a badge that much. Maybe he spoke about religion 2-3 times in 8 years. I've never seen him march around with a Bible, unlike Clinton who was seen with his Bible underarm all the time after he got caught banging Monika.

In the UK Blair has gone on his "Catholic Pilgrimage" and spoke of his conversion. The Labour Party also tried to force the British public to swallow the idea of government funded Faith Schools. This kind of irrationalism is something a British Conservative wouldn't be caught dead doing!

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2008, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by vmarks View Post
There's your problem right there. Your principles are broken.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2008, 10:52 AM

OK, I'm taking the blue pill.

Prez Barry will save us all! I only wish I had a mortgage for him to pay for me!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2008, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
There's your problem right there. Your principles are broken.
Uh huh. Just love rubbing salt in the wounds, don't you?

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2008, 10:55 AM

Yes, I do. It's been a long eight years of bullsh*t. Time for you guys to dig in for a change. AMEN.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2008, 10:55 AM

Uh huh. Just love rubbing salt in the wounds, don't you?
It's healing, lovely Barry salt!

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2008, 10:56 AM

Wise up Doofy, you're smarter than that.

PaperNotes
Nov 5, 2008, 10:58 AM

It's alright boys. Arnold is coming. Someone with real experience who will bring balance to the force

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2008, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by PaperNotes View Post
I think this is a myth the Left likes to perpetuate (and on their side they follow all sorts of bizarre nonsense). If they have a religious belief then no doubt it has an influence, they just don't wear it as a badge. But then Bush hasn't really worn religion as a badge that much. Maybe he spoke about religion 2-3 times in 8 years. I've never seen him march around with a Bible, unlike Clinton who was seen with his Bible underarm all the time after he got caught banging Monika.

In the UK Blair has gone on his "Catholic Pilgrimage" and spoke of his conversion. The Labour Party also tried to force the British public to swallow the idea of government funded Faith Schools. This kind of irrationalism is something a British Conservative wouldn't be caught dead doing!
I was speaking purely of American politics--I honestly don't know enough about British politics to extend my generalization there. From what I've learned about the Labour party--I don't think I'd support them much. I don't think Democrats in the U.S. and the Labour party in the U.K. are similar enough to theorize that there will be a similar experience here.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2008, 11:09 AM

OK, I'm taking the blue pill.

Prez Barry will save us all! I only wish I had a mortgage for him to pay for me!
Now that bank executives are enjoying million dollar bonuses and spa treatments thanks to a bailout sponsored by a Republican Administration--how can you play this card now?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2008, 11:11 AM

I don't think Democrats in the U.S. and the Labour party in the U.K. are similar enough to theorize that there will be a similar experience here.
Blair: Lawyer.
Blair's wife: Lawyer.
Blair's campaign: "Change".

Ring any bells?

OK. Remember Prez Barry's nominee acceptance speech? Nearly word for word with Blair's crap back in 1997. Different host, same goa'uld.

You guys forget that we've essentially had "the essence of Barry" running the UK for the last 11 years.

PaperNotes
Nov 5, 2008, 11:14 AM

Ring any bells?
Our Comrades Ken Livingstone, George Galloway and Hugo Chavez?
( Last edited by PaperNotes; Jan 9, 2018 at 06:20 AM. )

Doofy
Clinically Insane

Now that bank executives are enjoying million dollar bonuses and spa treatments thanks to a bailout sponsored by a Republican Administration--how can you play this card now?
Prez Barry saved us from the evil market correction by voting for the bailout. Praise Barry!
Plus, of course, I don't give a crap. It's not my tax dollar funding it.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN

Ring any bells?

OK. Remember Prez Barry's nominee acceptance speech? Nearly word for word with Blair's crap back in 1997. Different host, same goa'uld.

You guys forget that we've essentially had "the essence of Barry" running the UK for the last 11 years.
So if it was the same old crap, why did the repubs act like scared sh*tless girls? Seriously, McCain's campaign changed direction faster than a rat on crack.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2008, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
So if it was the same old crap, why did the repubs act like scared sh*tless girls?
Because they know what Blairism can do to a country. The UK is completely fsked. Eight years of Prez Barry and the US will be too.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2008, 11:25 AM

Prez Barry saved us from the evil market correction by voting for the bailout. Praise Barry!
Plus, of course, I don't give a crap. It's not my tax dollar funding it.
I know he did. My point was how can you say the Republicans are really *different* on this issue?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2008, 11:26 AM

I know he did. My point was how can you say the Republicans are really *different* on this issue?
They're not. Ron Paul was the only bloke for the job.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2008, 11:26 AM

I'm wondering if we should just get out of the way of the Dems and allow them to drive the car into a tree for the next four years. Now that they are to control 2/3 branches of the federal government, it will be a lot harder for them to blame the problems they create, or don't fix, on conservatives.

vmarks, you said that you're not talking about Republicans but conservatives. The fact is that the Republican party is the mainstream conservative party in the United States unless some considerable realignment occurs. I think the best thing we can do for the party is to inculcate libertarian values and ideals so that it can reformulate itself as the true party of limited government. Either that or we have to all jump ship to the Libertarian Party. This year we got McCain, a center-left, big government Republican, and in the face of that choice the country chose a true leftist. In four years, we'll have a country largely disaffected with a weak and ineffectual BHO who probably will have allowed America to get hit by some major act of terrorism or international crisis, and the Republicans will have an opportunity to reclaim the presidency if a true conservative gets chosen to take him on.
Funnily enough, one of my friends made the exact same point last night. Carter was a useless, ineffective leader...and Reagan was the one to swing in and pick up the pieces of his stupidity. Maybe we'll get lucky and, in four years, find ourselves with a real leader who gets back to the roots of conservative Republican politics. We'll just have to hope that Obama doesn't do any long-lasting damage to the country and its economy.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

OreoCookie
Nov 5, 2008, 11:29 AM

Why wasn't he even close to getting the Republican ticket?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2008, 11:33 AM

I liked Ron Paul too - until I got the impression that he'd love to build a fiery moat around the US.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2008, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Why wasn't he even close to getting the Republican ticket?
What we have to understand is that the Dems and the GOP aren't two parties - they're two halves of the same party, perpetuated to give the average American the perception of democracy.

And they can't have an alternative anywhere near getting any real power.

Forum Links
Forum Rules