Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Will you be turning your lights off?

View Poll Results: Will you be turning your lights off?
Poll Options:
Yes, all lights 4 votes (9.76%)
Yes, most lights 4 votes (9.76%)
Yes, some lights 2 votes (4.88%)
No 31 votes (75.61%)
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll
Will you be turning your lights off?
Hg2491
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 27, 2009, 08:29 PM

hayesk
Mar 27, 2009, 09:29 PM

Earth hour is a symbolic gesture to promote energy saving. I'd rather do actual tasks that save energy.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 27, 2009, 10:15 PM

Isn't the electricity still being produced anyways? I think it would be a waste not to use it.

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 27, 2009, 10:44 PM

has crap like this ever worked?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 27, 2009, 10:49 PM

We already pay a premium for "green" power, it's an option that our power company makes available to us. The more power my home uses, the more money is paid to fund research into alternative fuel sources.

So, what you're asking is for me to cut back my donations to pay for this research. In a way, that seems counterproductive.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2009, 10:59 PM

Only if I'm feeling fat and ugly.

Otherwise, it's lights on every time, baby.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

lyanma
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 27, 2009, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
has crap like this ever worked?
Yes it has. The question is, are we helping the enviroment by doing this?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 28, 2009, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Isn't the electricity still being produced anyways? I think it would be a waste not to use it.
It's not as if there's an electricity landfill out there where all the unused electricity gets dumped. Lights, appliances, etc. being turned on put a greater load on the power generating stations.

As you turn on more electrical accessories in your car, the engine has to work a little bit harder to turn the alternator at the same speed. The more current that's being drawn by lights, stereo, etc., the more energy is required to spin the alternator. Large-scale power generation works on those same principles.

That being said, gas and steam turbines are typically designed to be most efficient at a certain RPM and flowrate, so it could be that lowering electrical demand below the typical demand the generators were designed for could leave the turbines running in a less efficient area of their operating curve.

Hg2491  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 28, 2009, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by hayesk View Post
Earth hour is a symbolic gesture to promote energy saving. I'd rather do actual tasks that save energy.
There is a bunch of things you can do to save energy and lower your energy bill. You guys are in a recession after all, right? I do have a list of 60 tips on how to save energy, but it's in Spanish though.

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
That's what my cousin keeps telling me. I still think it's a way to save up energy.

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
We already pay a premium for "green" power, it's an option that our power company makes available to us. The more power my home uses, the more money is paid to fund research into alternative fuel sources.

So, what you're asking is for me to cut back my donations to pay for this research. In a way, that seems counterproductive.
Where are you from? I'm glad to see that in your country there's that program going on. In Dominican Republic and many other countries there are no fees to pay that promote the implementation of green energy.

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
Only if I'm feeling fat and ugly.

Otherwise, it's lights on every time, baby.
With all due respect Ms. Shifuimam, but you should feel fat and ugly more often.

lyanma
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 28, 2009, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by Hg2491 View Post
With all due respect Ms. Shifuimam, but you should feel fat and ugly more often.

PB2K
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2009, 07:01 AM

this is so useless !
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Mar 28, 2009, 08:34 AM

Where are you from? I'm glad to see that in your country there's that program going on. In Dominican Republic and many other countries there are no fees to pay that promote the implementation of green energy.
We have the same thing from our supplier (Belgium), I guess that a lot of European power suppliers offer this as an option these days.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2009, 10:27 AM

Baby, when you look this good, you can't stop to care about things like the environment.

Hg2491  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 28, 2009, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by PB2K View Post
this is so useless !
I can only respect your opinion.

Originally Posted by Goldfinger View Post
We have the same thing from our supplier (Belgium), I guess that a lot of European power suppliers offer this as an option these days.
Europe is on the top of its game I guess. In my country they were planning on putting a coal power plant ¬.¬.

Baby, when you look this good, you can't stop to care about things like the environment.
Oh snap, I had forgotten how irresistible you are

Cold Warrior
Mar 28, 2009, 11:04 AM

I've cut my electricity use by 65% in the past two billing cycles as part of my own efforts at conservation. I'm not inclined to sit in the dark for an hour when I practice good conservation every day.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 28, 2009, 11:07 AM

Will you be turning your lights off?
No. In fact, I'll be turning every last one of them on. Because I fsking hate envrionazis telling me what to do. Fascist fcks.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 28, 2009, 11:10 AM

That's what my cousin keeps telling me. I still think it's a way to save up energy.
Oh, is your cousin an electrical engineer?

Looks like somebody got a booster shot of confidence.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 28, 2009, 11:25 AM

Most likely, I won’t be switching off any lights, ’cause they’re unlikely to be on in the first place. Unless you count the computer screen as a ‘light’—in which case, no, I won’t be switching off the lights.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2009, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
I've cut my electricity use by 65% in the past two billing cycles as part of my own efforts at conservation. I'm not inclined to sit in the dark for an hour when I practice good conservation every day.
This.

I use CFLs in every lighting fixture in my house except my touch lamps and a chandelier that's on a dimmer. I don't do it for the environment, really - I do it because it saves money on my electric bill, so there's a nice, visible benefit to me.

Plus it saves money on light bulbs, since I think I've only replaced one CFL since I started using them.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 28, 2009, 12:22 PM

I'm turning off almost everything, but not because it's Earth Hour. My wife and I rarely keep on unnecessary lights. During the day, we just open all our window blinds and bathe in glorious natural lighting.

But I will have lights on, either to study for tomorrow, read, or play some PS3.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 28, 2009, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post

Well put.

Hg2491  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 28, 2009, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
No. In fact, I'll be turning every last one of them on. Because I fsking hate envrionazis telling me what to do. Fascist fcks.
Do you kiss your mom with that mouth?

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Oh, is your cousin an electrical engineer?
Not quite. She just likes being the devil's advocate.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Mar 28, 2009, 01:01 PM

Nope, keeping the lights on. I've been replacing incandescent lights with the fluorescent types so I have no issues or will feel guilty on having lights on.
~Mike

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 28, 2009, 01:58 PM

Do you kiss your mom with that mouth?
No. I kiss your mom with that mouth.

In case anyone's wondering why I think these people are fascists:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/f...-of-talks.html
But some militant protesters have threatened to force the lights out at business headquarters which do not voluntarily take part in Earth Hour

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2009, 02:23 PM

So you're still letting them affect your behavior?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 28, 2009, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by CreepDogg View Post
So you're still letting them affect your behavior?
Yes. It's fun to do the exact opposite of what they want you to do. It's rock and roll. Rebellion. Etc., etc..

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2009, 02:46 PM

Yes. It's fun to do the exact opposite of what they want you to do. It's rock and roll. Rebellion. Etc., etc..
Fair enough. Seems like kind of empty rebellion to me, but hey, to each his own...

I suppose a rock and roll song about turning all the lights on when the environazis tell you to turn them off would be pretty compelling.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 28, 2009, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by CreepDogg View Post
I suppose a rock and roll song about turning all the lights on when the environazis tell you to turn them off would be pretty compelling.
A song? Damn dude, the whole album's about that.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 28, 2009, 03:38 PM

I keep my lights off to save money, not to save the planet. And I prefer natural lighting...

So am I being frugal or a conformist? Please advise.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2009, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I keep my lights off to save money, not to save the planet. And I prefer natural lighting...

Natural lighting? Total hippy.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2009, 05:07 PM

I fail to see how turning off the lights will save the planet. Electricity is nothing more than the flow of electrons through a closed circuit. If the circuit is open, how does that save the planet? It just means your electric bill is not as high. That's why I turn off the lights at night and when I'm not at home.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 28, 2009, 05:15 PM

The war has started. Pick your side.

richwig83
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2009, 05:20 PM

Naa.. ill probably take the car for a few trips around the block too!
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2009, 07:43 PM

I voted most lights. I live with my Mom and there is no way she would go without any lights for an hour. But I plan to turn off--not just put to sleep--our three computers as well as her color laser printer, and the two refrigerators. Food will stay cold for an hour and it is fairly cool here now anyway. Not much of an effort but, like the ad says, one person can make a small difference.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 28, 2009, 07:58 PM

I have two 14 watt CFL lights outside; they'll probably still be off at 8:30 local. Damn Daylight Savings Time... Anyway, if it made a measurable difference AND increased local awareness, I'd do something active about it. Around here, the local power company giving rebates for EnergyStar appliances and coupons for CFLs gets people's attention and helps save lots of electricity. I started using CFLs to save energy-because a lot of incandescent lamps lit makes a lot of heat that my air conditioner has to do something about! Since then (about 5 years ago), I've been migrating all my lights to CFLs. And yes, when they fail I recycle them properly. Now if I could just find dimmable CFLs for two fixtures in the house, I'd have all of my lights changed over.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Professional Poster
Mar 28, 2009, 08:26 PM

This isn't a move to conserve energy. It's a message about energy consumption in general. I'll be turning off unneccesary lights as always, but I'm not going to sit in darkness just because.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 29, 2009, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
Natural lighting? Total hippy.
You know me: LSD and rolling in the mud. All day, every day.

The war has started. Pick your side.
I choose Peanut Butter Puffs cereal. Case closed.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 29, 2009, 01:00 AM

I just realized what a landslide this poll has turned out to be (so far). The 'NN is thumbing its collective nose at global empty gestures.

lexapro
Baninated
Mar 29, 2009, 01:01 AM

The Jews do this every week, for 24 hours. I applaud the Jews.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2009, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I have two 14 watt CFL lights outside; they'll probably still be off at 8:30 local. Damn Daylight Savings Time... Anyway, if it made a measurable difference AND increased local awareness, I'd do something active about it. Around here, the local power company giving rebates for EnergyStar appliances and coupons for CFLs gets people's attention and helps save lots of electricity. I started using CFLs to save energy-because a lot of incandescent lamps lit makes a lot of heat that my air conditioner has to do something about! Since then (about 5 years ago), I've been migrating all my lights to CFLs. And yes, when they fail I recycle them properly. Now if I could just find dimmable CFLs for two fixtures in the house, I'd have all of my lights changed over.
"And yes, when they fail I recycle them properly."

Is there a special recycling procedure for CFL bulbs? I've got some old CFL bulbs I need to dispose of* and was not aware a) they could be recycled and b) there is/may be special procedures for recycling them. Thanks!

*Believe it or not, the first CFL bulbs I ever bought were back in 2000 for a couple of floor lamps and they have both just failed recently. Pretty freakin' amazing considering how many times I (and the lamps) have moved in those intervening eight years. Not too mention that for four of those year the two floors lamps were the only lighting I had in my studio apartment so they were used all the time. I remember those first two bulbs I bought were expensive (about $15 each if I recall correctly) but to be the only bulbs in two lamps in eight years is some pretty good cost savings.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Hg2491  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 29, 2009, 01:18 AM

No. I kiss your mom with that mouth.
I'm an orphan.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 29, 2009, 01:22 AM

Flashbacks of the George Costanza "I had sex with your wife" moment...

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Mar 29, 2009, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by ctt1wbw View Post
I fail to see how turning off the lights will save the planet. Electricity is nothing more than the flow of electrons through a closed circuit. If the circuit is open, how does that save the planet? It just means your electric bill is not as high. That's why I turn off the lights at night and when I'm not at home.
The generation of electricity uses fossil fuels that pollute the environment, create greenhouse gases and is a non-renewable source. There's also hydro-electric and solar but they're limited in scope and usage. Nuclear is also an option that tends to pollute the planet with spent fuel and is rather dangerous.
~Mike

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2009, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy View Post
"And yes, when they fail I recycle them properly."

Is there a special recycling procedure for CFL bulbs? I've got some old CFL bulbs I need to dispose of* and was not aware a) they could be recycled and b) there is/may be special procedures for recycling them. Thanks!
I think - not certain here - that CFLs contain mercury, and it's enough to warrant requiring special disposal methods. i doubt you're going to get nailed with an EPA violation for throwing out a CFL in the kitchen trash, but I believe that's why they have a different disposal/recycling procedure than regular light bulbs.

I saw a ridiculous ad at the mall yesterday that was just two checkboxes on a plain yellow background. The first one said "stick head in sand", while the second said "fight global warming".

I'm going to be laughing in thirty years when everyone's going nuclear over global cooling. I also wonder if the last global climate change scares would have been as big as this one is had the Internet been as prevalent back then.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2009, 09:19 AM

It seems like this largely futile exercise is preparing us for the Copenhagen Protocol and the U.N. global tax on energy.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Andy8
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2009, 09:29 AM

I sit in the dark anyway, my LCD displays and LCD TV light up and heat up the room with any extra help from the lights. I may turn on a lamp if i wish to read something paper based perhaps.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2009, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
It seems like this largely futile exercise is preparing us for the Copenhagen Protocol and the U.N. global tax on energy.
Yep. Which in turn will prepare us for one world government, which will prepare us for other events.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Mar 29, 2009, 09:42 AM

I choose Peanut Butter Puffs cereal. Case closed.

http://www.americansweets.co.uk/ekmp...ages/puffs.jpg
I LOVE REECE'S PUFFS!

My friends and I celebrated Earth Hour. We turned off all of the lights an hung out by candlelight.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 29, 2009, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
We have a protocol?!

*Googles “Copenhagen Protocol”*

Oh, not yet, but (possibly) at the end of the year. I didn’t even know we were hosting a climate conference.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Mar 29, 2009, 11:41 AM

i turned off all necessary items almost 2 years ago to save money. mini fridges, 2nd computer, unplugged from wall the home theater equipment/UPS, extra TVs and electric clocks. at the same time i closed all the vents off in in unused bedrooms, bathroom and basement.

so last night, come 8:28, the only thing on in my house was my laptop (on battery though), my tv (no cable, just antenna) and the fridge in the kitchen. at that time, i opened the fridge once and grabbed 6 beers...

i at least saved having the light come on in the fridge for an hour

Forum Links
Forum Rules