Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes 7 Released

iTunes 7 Released (Page 3)
krove
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2006, 06:58 PM

Ok, on the sorting. If you click the column header more than once, you get "Album by Artist" but it seems to be the other way around, giving me an alphabetical listing of artists with their albums (thus is it using artist as primary sort, album as secondary). This is completely backwards and non-intuitive. The album column appears to be the only one that has these alternative sorting schemes.

Kind of silly that there is no 1˚ = album, 2˚ = artist so that I can look at an alphabetical listing of songs grouped by album and then (and only then) if an album has the same name, group by artist. Some programmer at Apple got the whole sort by "Album by Artist" thinking all screwed up.

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2006, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie
I find it a tad ironic that the logo got more colorful, the whole app turned gloomy
By the same token if it had been as fruity as that icon we'd all have died of sensory overload.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2006, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - -
What happened to visual browsing of Music Videos?

At least we can finally make smart playlists based on Video Kind.
On my machine the install process automatically created a Smart Playlist called "Music Videos". Just view by "Grouped with artwork" or by "Cover Browser" to get a visual browsing. Apparently music videos are still considered "Music" from a content perspective (and there's a good argument for that) so they appear in the music library. The smart playlist that was put out there seems to be a good way to quickly see all your music videos in one place.

OAW

Nai no Kami
Senior User
Sep 12, 2006, 07:03 PM

I'm on a PowerBook 12" 1.5GHz and I'm experiencing an erratic behavior when bringing the iTunes window out of the Dock. It minimizes correctly, but when I try to maximize it waits and then appears all of a sudden (as if the all genie effect animation frames were... skipped).

This is the only app with which I experience such behavior. Moreover, I cannot reproduce it 100% of the time. Sometimes it works ok.

I have tried to tie it to the presence of the cover flow view, but I have experienced both smooth and "skipped" maximizations in almost every iTunes view. Minimizations, on the other hand, have been working perfectly every time.

Does someone experience that as well?.

Do you have any idea about what could be the culprit?.

I'm clueless.

Cheers

Y no entienden nada... ¡y cómo se divierten!...

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 12, 2006, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Grande
Well here are the logos side by side, I think the thing that makes it stand out is the brighter more defined rainbow on the CD and the thicker sections of the musical note.
new icon looks like poop
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

zeebe
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 12, 2006, 07:11 PM

Is anyone other then me having trouble when iTunes is making the songs gapless on iTunes freezing? or am I the only one?

Support a charity as you search the Internet - Use GoodSearch - I support Sacred Heart School.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2006, 07:12 PM

This is beginning to sound like a wait for a point upgrade situation.

OreoCookie
Sep 12, 2006, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar
By the same token if it had been as fruity as that icon we'd all have died of sensory overload.
Hey, I didn't argue for a fruity™ iTunes, but just not something as depressing
Perhaps if we mix the two, shake real hard, we'd get a decent compromise.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2006, 07:14 PM

I just ran Software Update, installed, and then restarted. iTunes in my dock is still iTunes 6's, but iTunes in my Application folder is iTunes 7. I'm sure when I reopen iTunes it will update the icon.
It'll be sad to see the last not-blue icon in my dock disappear and be replaced with yet another blue icon.

Everything else inside iTunes. I love it.
I do not like the scrollbars on my work windows box. I found them too dark, too graphite. On my mac, I find the it the complete opposite. I really like it and I will have absolutely no issues if 10.5 looks like this.

jersey
Senior User
Sep 12, 2006, 07:15 PM

Plug in your IPod.

Freshest. Thing. Ever.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2006, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Nai no Kami
I'm on a PowerBook 12" 1.5GHz and I'm experiencing an erratic behavior when bringing the iTunes window out of the Dock. It minimizes correctly, but when I try to maximize it waits and then appears all of a sudden (as if the all genie effect animation frames were... skipped).

This is the only app with which I experience such behavior. Moreover, I cannot reproduce it 100% of the time. Sometimes it works ok.

I have tried to tie it to the presence of the cover flow view, but I have experienced both smooth and "skipped" maximizations in almost every iTunes view. Minimizations, on the other hand, have been working perfectly every time.

Does someone experience that as well?.

Do you have any idea about what could be the culprit?.

I'm clueless.

Cheers
I'm experiencing exactly the same thing on an iBook G4 1.25 GHz. Plenty of RAM (1GB)

Weird

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2006, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie
Hey, I didn't argue for a fruity™ iTunes, but just not something as depressing
Perhaps if we mix the two, shake real hard, we'd get a decent compromise.
I know that wasn't your point. I was more pointing out what seemed to be Apple's to extremes within the iTunes 'package'

But yeah, something inbetween please.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 12, 2006, 07:22 PM

Well it looks gray and smooth in Windows, too. I'm not sure whether I like it or not yet.

The installation went very smoothly-and they integrated QuickTime's installer with the iTunes installer, so there were no phantom windows during install.

I'm not entirely happy with the "analyzing for gapless playback" bit though. Adding a folder full of music takes a lot longer now.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

delete
Forum Regular
Sep 12, 2006, 07:25 PM

>And to delete: What's wrong with the glass scroll bars?

Glass bars remind me of a Bondi Blue iMac both in look and in age of existence. After all this time with OSX I'm kind of tired of having a Good 'N' Plenty lozenge with me all day!

Nai no Kami
Senior User
Sep 12, 2006, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo
I'm experiencing exactly the same thing on an iBook G4 1.25 GHz. Plenty of RAM (1GB)

Weird

V
I'm begining to think that we share a genetical defect by which when we sometimes maximize an iTunes 7 window be make a longer blink, but we cannot just realize.

I believe that there should be a more logical explanation than this.

Y no entienden nada... ¡y cómo se divierten!...

baw
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2006, 07:38 PM

All this fuss over an icon.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2006, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by krove
Ok, on the sorting. If you click the column header more than once, you get "Album by Artist" but it seems to be the other way around, giving me an alphabetical listing of artists with their albums (thus is it using artist as primary sort, album as secondary). This is completely backwards and non-intuitive. The album column appears to be the only one that has these alternative sorting schemes.

Kind of silly that there is no 1˚ = album, 2˚ = artist so that I can look at an alphabetical listing of songs grouped by album and then (and only then) if an album has the same name, group by artist. Some programmer at Apple got the whole sort by "Album by Artist" thinking all screwed up.
First of all thanks for pointing out this feature! I actually don't think the "Album by Artist" feature is counter-intuitive. It's doing exactly what I would expect. But then this may be because I'm in the IT industry so I think of it in terms of SQL. When I see a sort feature that says "Album by Artist" I think this ....

select * from library
group by Artist
order by Album asc, Track # asc

A database will in fact return rows by Artist first, and then sort those rows by Album. Having said that, I can see how others would not necessarily see it that way.

I kind of like the "Album by Year" feature. It appears to be doing this ...

select * from library
group by Artist
order by Year asc, Album asc, Track # asc

And a sort by "Album" is doing this ...

select * from library
order by Album asc, Artist asc, Track # asc

The problem is that things get kind of screwy when you sort descending. All of the results then display the Tracks reverse order which is not what I want. For instance, to sort by "Album" descending seems to execute the following query ...

select * from library
order by Album desc, Artist desc, Track # desc

... which is just the regular "Album" query with the directional parameter switched and would in fact return the tracks in reverse order. And this is just lazy programming IMO because what I expect to happen is the following ...

select * from library
order by Album desc, Artist asc, Track # asc

The same problem exists in "Album by Artist" and "Album by Year". And now that I think about it perhaps I'm being a bit too harsh when I say this is lazy programming. Because I'm thinking in terms of an SQL database which can do what I'm talking about. I imagine iTunes is querying an XML file and I simply don't know if you mix and match your sort order in that kind of environment. Perhaps someone who is a lot more knowledgeable about the querying XML files can chime in on that point.

OAW
( Last edited by OAW; Sep 12, 2006 at 07:55 PM. )

JKT
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2006, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS
Huh?
You posted an oxymoron - "pretty ugly"

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2006, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by rickey939
Ohhh, the drama is killing me!
I'm not sure if anyone posted this already, but here is a screenshot of what happens when you plug in an iPod. Very neat.

krove
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2006, 08:04 PM

I use SQL all the time, and I hadn't even thought about it from that perspective. Of course, on actually using it for a few minutes, it works well enough. I was so used to seeing all my albums grouped alphabetically and then sorted by artist in the separate CoverFlow application. I guess I was just used to the order.

It is not really a bug, and overall, I think iTunes 7 is a winner (except for the few UI inconsistencies and the icon). BTW, What's up with those tabs on the iPod configuration screen?!?! Are those ugly or what?

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2006, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by mdc
I'm not sure if anyone posted this already, but here is a screenshot of what happens when you plug in an iPod. Very neat.

Nice, I like that a lot....thank you!

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2006, 08:09 PM

wish you could set cross-fading (or not) by playlist;
i use 12-second crossfades on everything, but would like classical music playlists to NOT crossfade...

still, app is nice so far...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

JKT
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2006, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by baw
All this fuss over an icon.
Indeed. Things like having features removed not mentioned once (non-US residents no longer have access to film trailers... fair enough no films due to licensing issues, but why remove our access to the trailers feature?).

Also, it's a full year since the TV downloads thing started and not a single episode from a single channel is available for non-US residents... that's pretty pathetic don't you think?

rem
Forum Regular
Sep 12, 2006, 08:20 PM

Grey scrollbars are hideous. Did Apple hire the graphic designer responsible for CDE? Why can't there at least be an option to switch back to Aqua? Yuck!

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2006, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by delete
>And to delete: What's wrong with the glass scroll bars?

Glass bars remind me of a Bondi Blue iMac both in look and in age of existence. After all this time with OSX I'm kind of tired of having a Good 'N' Plenty lozenge with me all day!
Try putting your Apperance to graphite. First thing I do with any mac I'm on. Can't stand the blueness.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2006, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Nai no Kami
I'm begining to think that we share a genetical defect by which when we sometimes maximize an iTunes 7 window be make a longer blink, but we cannot just realize.

I believe that there should be a more logical explanation than this.

makes sense to me!

V

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2006, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
LOVE the new GUI. Hate that you can't make it double scroll thumbs like I have the rest of the OS, like iTunes USED to do.
I like the GUI too, especially the better organized source list and the iPod prefs. I've grown tired of the glassy scrollbars, so I'm glad to see something else. If that is a preview of what's to come in Leopard, I'm looking forward to Leopard.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2006, 08:46 PM

I seem to have a ton of songs for which it won't get the album art, but the mini store shows the album with the artwork when I highlight one of those songs. I might have artwork for 60% of the songs and I even highlighted all songs and told it to go get the artwork.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2006, 08:48 PM

Don't know if this has been posted, but I'm glad it stores album art in its own database, rather than in the meta data for each song. That means i only need 439 album covers rather than 5043

edit: and I just noticed how application appearances started out completely flat and 2D, and gradually got more and more 3D, with bevels and shadows and such, until the height of depth at the beginning of OS X, with big bulbousy aqua buttons set way off the background with dark shadows. And now, ever since then, everything has been getting flatter again, now with iTunes 7 being one of the flattest UI designs yet (along with the Apple Pro Apps theme). It's like 10.1 was a rebellion against the flat OS9 days and they went all-out on making it shiny and round and now they're calming back down and realizing that every UI element doesn't need to look like it's 3" above the background and making it more subtle and refined. kinda interesting.
( Last edited by MaxPower2k3; Sep 12, 2006 at 08:55 PM. )

"I start fires!"

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2006, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS
Huh?
Pretty. Ugly. Pick one.

It's just one of those funny contradictions that slip into people's speach that amuse me. Like "terribly good" and "awfully nice."

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2006, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by chris v
Pretty. Ugly. Pick one.

It's just one of those funny contradictions that slip into people's speach that amuse me. Like "terribly good" and "awfully nice."
Pretty:
1 a : ARTFUL, CLEVER b : PAT, APT
2 a : pleasing by delicacy or grace b : having conventionally accepted elements of beauty c : appearing or sounding pleasant or nice but lacking strength, force, manliness, purpose, or intensity <pretty words that make no sense -- Elizabeth B. Browning>
3 a : MISERABLE, TERRIBLE <a pretty mess you've gotten us into> b chiefly Scottish : STOUT
4 : moderately large

Terrible:
1 a : exciting extreme alarm or intense fear : TERRIFYING b : formidable in nature : AWESOME <a terrible responsibility> c : DIFFICULT <in a terrible bind>
2 : EXTREME, GREAT <a terrible disappointment>
3 : extremely bad: as a : strongly repulsive : OBNOXIOUS <a terrible smell> b : notably unattractive or objectionable <terrible behavior> c : of very poor quality

Awful:
1 : inspiring awe
2 : filled with awe: as a obsolete : AFRAID, TERRIFIED b : deeply respectful or reverential
3 : extremely disagreeable or objectionable <awful food>
4 : exceedingly great -- used as an intensive

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2006, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by MaxPower2k3
Don't know if this has been posted, but I'm glad it stores album art in its own database, rather than in the meta data for each song. That means i only need 439 album covers rather than 5043
It also means Spotlight is not showing the album art.

delete
Forum Regular
Sep 12, 2006, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - -
Try putting your Apperance to graphite. First thing I do with any mac I'm on. Can't stand the blueness.
I do that right away. It's really the bulbous shape that gets to me. Kind of Fisher Price-ish.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2006, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
It also means Spotlight is not showing the album art.
did it before? I just did a spotlight search for an album that does have artwork stored in the file and it's just showing the standard iTunes music file icon.

"I start fires!"

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2006, 09:17 PM

The Spotlight window shows album art if it is embedded into the file. It doesn't show the album art of the external album art iTunes 7 grabbed.

krove
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2006, 09:18 PM

iTunes is not storing artwork outside the file, rather it is extracting the artwork from the file into a format that is better suited for Cover Flow. As such, your artwork now exists in two places: once in every music file and once per album for Cover Flow.

I imagine this is necessary for caching purposes to speed along Cover Flow viewing.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2006, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by krove
iTunes is not storing artwork outside the file, rather it is extracting the artwork from the file into a format that is better suited for Cover Flow. As such, your artwork now exists in two places: once in every music file and once per album for Cover Flow.

I imagine this is necessary for caching purposes to speed along Cover Flow viewing.
it may do that for songs that already have artwork, but are you sure it's inserting artwork into songs that didn't have it before? My music library has remained 28.49GB since it started downloading, and the coverflow database is about 60 megs so far (still downloading). If it was putting those images into every song, the library would've grown by ~500mb so far.

"I start fires!"

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2006, 09:23 PM

I can't use iTunes 7 for more than 10 minutes before it crashes as burns.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2006, 09:29 PM

Where is shared music now? It doesn't appear in the source column.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2006, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
Where is shared music now? It doesn't appear in the source column.
does for me. look above Playlists. and check your preferences to make sure "Look for Shared Music" didn't get unchecked in the upgrade.

"I start fires!"

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2006, 10:04 PM

Can anyone play music over remote speakers connected via an Airport Express now? I'm trying to select "Living Room" in my drop-down list, and it just ignores the selection and reverts back to "Computer".

This sucks.

MoNdOnGo_CoN_CuAjItO
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2006, 10:12 PM

itunes 7. great ****.

paul w
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2006, 10:12 PM

That's odd - works fine here Tomchu.

Anyway I'm really - finally - enjoying gapless playback. It's kind of allowed me to rediscover a couple different albums that I'd avoided listening to for that very reason. Cool.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2006, 10:31 PM

The artist/album artist is stupid AFAICT. Albums are categorized according to artist->album artist in normal view, but album artist->artist in cover flow view.

So, one album in normal view may appear as three different in cover flow view..

So.. why would one want to have a different artist in those two places, since it splits the album??! iTunes 7 is not smart enough to realize that artist+album=indivisible unit.

V

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2006, 10:38 PM

An album is displayed as a single entity in cover-flow view when you sort by "Album". You can click the "Album" column again to sort by "Album by Artist" which sorts by artists and then by their albums and again to sort by "Album by Year" which sorts by artists and then their albums by year. If you click any other column like "Artist" then cover-flow view will (have to) split the albums into multiple fragments.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2006, 10:41 PM

Ouch. iTunes 7 broke pasting album art to multiple selections. In both the Get Info window and the Album Art (selected song) pane. It appears to work as exhibited when you try to paste the same art unto multiple albums it pops up the "Are you sure you want to change the art for multiple items?" dialog. But no dice.

Edit: Neither does dragging from the browser or the desktop either. Manually paste one by one. Oh joy.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

jasong
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2006, 10:48 PM

Pasting to multiple songs works for me.
-- Jason

krove
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2006, 10:49 PM

If an album has multiple artists, then you should mark the album as a compilation. This ensures that iTunes shows only one album cover for the whole album, otherwise cover flow will show duplicates when sorting by album.

mrmister
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2006, 10:59 PM

"Pretty ugly" means "fairly ugly" or "rather ugly"--in other words, it's definition 4 of pretty from wallinbl's post.

There's absolutely no oxymoron here--were I ruder, I'd say there was only one moron involved, but that would be mean.

porieux
Baninated
Sep 12, 2006, 11:00 PM

( Last edited by porieux; Oct 2, 2006 at 05:24 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules