Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes 7 Released

iTunes 7 Released (Page 4)
CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2006, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by MaxPower2k3
it may do that for songs that already have artwork, but are you sure it's inserting artwork into songs that didn't have it before? My music library has remained 28.49GB since it started downloading, and the coverflow database is about 60 megs so far (still downloading). If it was putting those images into every song, the library would've grown by ~500mb so far.
Dunno about the album art that iTunes downloads automatically, but I tried manually pasting some in and the file sizes definitely grew.

My iTunes library is almost a whole GB larger than it was before I started adding album art to everything...
( Last edited by CharlesS; Sep 12, 2006 at 11:14 PM. )

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2006, 11:11 PM

Strange that they have removed the Equaliser button, and the Visualizer button. Now to turn on the visualizer you have to use the menu or the key command, and when you are in visualizer mode there is no button to turn it off. Why did they remove the button? And shouldn't the browse button be another 'view', that would make sense, rather than putting it down at the bottom.

Album art only finds about half of my songs. If you don't have a complete album it seems to fail.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2006, 11:24 PM

The find album art seems to work very erratic. I selected an album, the mini-store found it. I made tags appear exactly the way it did in the store. No go. Tried it a couple of times and lo and behold it worked! Weirdness.

Totally agree on the browse-button. It should appear with the other view buttons. The burn disc button is also a whole lot less obvious now than it was before.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

stefanicotine
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 12, 2006, 11:26 PM

The icon changed in Front Row as well when they released the Front Row 1.3 update. My goodness it's nasty. They could have at least had the decency to update the DVD icon to match. The new iTunes icon is just WAY too colorful.

 Certified AppleCare Technician

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2006, 11:29 PM

Somebody will make a new icon for it...

stefanicotine
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 12, 2006, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by rickey939
Somebody will make a new icon for it...
It's not hard. Just open the Front Row package (System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row), navigate to the Resources folder and replace the PNG (Make sure you have Read & Write priviledges before changing icons. Authentication is also required.)

Someone who hasn't yet updated their Front Row should rip out the original iTunes logo and post it up for those who want to change it. I wouldn't mind changing mine back.

Briareus
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2006, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Tomchu
Can anyone play music over remote speakers connected via an Airport Express now? I'm trying to select "Living Room" in my drop-down list, and it just ignores the selection and reverts back to "Computer".
Nope. Same situation here. I tried toggling the setting in iTunes as well as the setting in the Base Station to no effect. Might need to wait for a little AirPort or iTunes update...

krove
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2006, 11:39 PM

Has anyone noticed that when you view a video full-screen in iTunes that the colors are muted or more blue? The colors noticably change when you switch from a window to full-screen. Video looks terrible in full-screen, colors all washed out.

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2006, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by stefanicotine
It's not hard. Just open the Front Row package (System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row), navigate to the Resources folder and replace the PNG (Make sure you have Read & Write priviledges before changing icons. Authentication is also required.)
That's not harder than just pasting a new icon onto the Get Info dialog you mean?
( Last edited by - - e r i k - -; Sep 12, 2006 at 11:57 PM. )

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2006, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by krove
Hmm... - - e r i k - -, where is that dock divider icon?!? Apparently it is not included in the icon set.
The Art of Adam Betts � Dock Dividers

Adam Betts has some great ones...horizontal and vertical versions.

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2006, 11:47 PM

The icon changed in Front Row as well when they released the Front Row 1.3 update. My goodness it's nasty. They could have at least had the decency to update the DVD icon to match. The new iTunes icon is just WAY too colorful.
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/26106

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2006, 11:49 PM

Shouldn't the iTunes icon be more multi-purpose now instead of a CD and tune symbol, since the application has taken on so many new things now?

stefanicotine
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 13, 2006, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - -
That's not harder than just pasting a new icon onto the Get Info dialog you mean?
The Get Info method rocks, but you can't do that with Front Row. Not for the internal icons.

krove
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2006, 12:16 AM

I was almost sure that the name of iTunes was going to change to something (like Showtime), but I was wrong. iTunes has too much market branding value to just be tossed, which is unfortunate given how much more than just music it does now.

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

Briareus
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 13, 2006, 12:53 AM

followup: if speakers connected through AirPort Express aren't working in iTunes 7, make sure IPv6 is turned on in Network Preferences (courtesy Apple Support Discussions).

porieux
Baninated
Sep 13, 2006, 01:22 AM

( Last edited by porieux; Oct 2, 2006 at 05:24 AM. )

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 13, 2006, 02:02 AM

When downloading a podcast, the progress bar is absent from the player window. Am I missing something? How do I toggle it, or get it back at all?

edit: found it!

oh, and I don't mind the icon, overall app looking okay too.
( Last edited by IceEnclosure; Sep 13, 2006 at 02:11 AM. )
ice

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2006, 02:06 AM

...Am I the only one here that doesn't mind the new icon? Sure, it's really bright. But I'm already getting used to it. And I'm sure that plenty of people were whining when iTunes got the green icon too... or the old blue one, for that matter.

Mac users do not deal well with change, as I've come to observe.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2006, 02:37 AM

The Get Info method rocks, but you can't do that with Front Row. Not for the internal icons.
Ah got you. I thought we were talking about the iTunes icon still. D'oh.

RTM
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2006, 03:14 AM

I don't like the gradient bars. Looks too... eh, unpolished? Like a couple of guys in their basement programmed the UI, I guess. I do like the dark aqua in the sidebar, though. Overall, the UI looks like it was mangled with a poorly thought out theme, esp. the play/pause and ff/rw buttons. Ew.

Yeah, the logo. I think the colors just clash a little too much. I'm switching back, or I'll use Louie Mantia's Aqua Neue iTunes icon.

Geobunny
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2006, 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by mdc
I'm not sure if anyone posted this already, but here is a screenshot of what happens when you plug in an iPod. Very neat.

Ahh, OK, I sort of understand the "apply" button logic now. If it were an "OK" button, you would expect the dialog/window to disappear when you click it. Obviously this is not what you would want to happen with the iTunes window.

Whoever said it looked very web2.0ish is right on the money. It looks horrible.
ClamXav - the free virus scanner for Mac OS X | Geobunny learns to fly

mrwalker
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 13, 2006, 04:06 AM

Someone who hasn't yet updated their Front Row should rip out the original iTunes logo and post it up for those who want to change it. I wouldn't mind changing mine back.
Green Front Row ITunes Music Icon

-mrwalker

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2006, 04:58 AM

A nice big 'update' button in the iPod view would have been useful too - to update a docked iPod.

Geo669
Sep 13, 2006, 05:18 AM

This iTunes update is all nice and everything if it could play my music.

After upgrading, it wont play any songs, it just stalls when i double click on them.

Geo669
Sep 13, 2006, 07:03 AM

Anyone else this is happening to?

The time just doesnt countdown at all, its just at a standstill.

himself
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2006, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by TheoCryst
...Am I the only one here that doesn't mind the new icon? Sure, it's really bright. But I'm already getting used to it. And I'm sure that plenty of people were whining when iTunes got the green icon too... or the old blue one, for that matter.

Mac users do not deal well with change, as I've come to observe.
True, indeed. Most folks will forget that there was ever anything wrong with the new icon a month from now. I really don't mind it.

Overall, this is great upgrade, but it seems like a point upgrade will be coming soon, as someone else pointed out. Many people seem to be having various isolated bugs cropping up that can't be easily explained. For me, the album art download freezes just short of halfway through the album art-less portion of my collection... everything else in iTunes runs just fine, but the progress bar is stuck. The cancel button does nothing, initiating another album art download doesn't help. I have to restart iTunes to clear it up. Not a show-stopper, only slightly irritating.

It would be nice to have coverflow view in full screen as well. Imagine browsing that way with a touch screen.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

jocker
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2006, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Geo669
Anyone else this is happening to?

The time just doesnt countdown at all, its just at a standstill.
Hi Geo - this was happening to me. Do you have OSS 3D installed or some other itunes plugin?

I uninstalled OSS 3D and it works great now. Also OSS 3D is a huge resource hog.
AlBook G4 15", iMac 20"

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2006, 08:34 AM

I was gonna ask, but you put the info out quickly. Thanks!

Matthew Attoe
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 13, 2006, 08:58 AM

Not wanting to go tooooo off-topic, but I thought Pretty Ugly was an oxymoron.

Just like Airline Food and Microsoft Works.

Sorry... I'll be quiet now...
Early 2008 Mac Pro (8 x 2.8), original Core Duo 2.0GHz MacBook Pro

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2006, 09:32 AM

So what's the general consensus; wait for iTunes 7.0.1 or jump headlong into another first release?
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

Uisce
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 13, 2006, 09:47 AM

I think I'd wait. I like everything about iTunes 7 so far exceptthe fact that it crashes after playing a song and starting the next. Its pretty unusable right now.

Uisce

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2006, 09:50 AM

Thanks. Also sounds like it almost might be worth deleting existing artwork from albums and allowing iTunes 7 to rebuild up the artwork database in a separate file for consistency's sake?

Originally Posted by Uisce
I think I'd wait. I like everything about iTunes 7 so far exceptthe fact that it crashes after playing a song and starting the next. Its pretty unusable right now.
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

Geo669
Sep 13, 2006, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by jocker
Hi Geo - this was happening to me. Do you have OSS 3D installed or some other itunes plugin?

I uninstalled OSS 3D and it works great now. Also OSS 3D is a huge resource hog.
Yep, it was exactly that, thanks heaps for the reply and the PM.

Just a heads up to anyone who has OSS 3D installed. Uninstal it.

Nai no Kami
Senior User
Sep 13, 2006, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Nai no Kami
I'm on a PowerBook 12" 1.5GHz and I'm experiencing an erratic behavior when bringing the iTunes window out of the Dock. It minimizes correctly, but when I try to maximize it waits and then appears all of a sudden (as if the all genie effect animation frames were... skipped).

This is the only app with which I experience such behavior. Moreover, I cannot reproduce it 100% of the time. Sometimes it works ok.

I have tried to tie it to the presence of the cover flow view, but I have experienced both smooth and "skipped" maximizations in almost every iTunes view. Minimizations, on the other hand, have been working perfectly every time.

Does someone experience that as well?.

Do you have any idea about what could be the culprit?.

I'm clueless.

Cheers
I just happened to realize that, if you maximize another window (just any) before the iTunes window, it will maximize smoothly.

On a sidenote, I also found that the iTunes window updates in the dock while minimized.

Y no entienden nada... ¡y cómo se divierten!...

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2006, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by JKT
Indeed. Things like having features removed not mentioned once (non-US residents no longer have access to film trailers... fair enough no films due to licensing issues, but why remove our access to the trailers feature?).
Browsing trailers through Apple's Quicktime site always worked better, anyway.

Also, it's a full year since the TV downloads thing started and not a single episode from a single channel is available for non-US residents... that's pretty pathetic don't you think?
I don't think Apple has much control over this.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

stefanicotine
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 13, 2006, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by mrwalker
Woot! Thanks

jocker
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2006, 10:38 AM

Woot! Thanks
for goodness sake...
AlBook G4 15", iMac 20"

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2006, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by wallinbl
Pretty:
1 a : ARTFUL, CLEVER b : PAT, APT
2 a : pleasing by delicacy or grace b : having conventionally accepted elements of beauty c : appearing or sounding pleasant or nice but lacking strength, force, manliness, purpose, or intensity <pretty words that make no sense -- Elizabeth B. Browning>
3 a : MISERABLE, TERRIBLE <a pretty mess you've gotten us into> b chiefly Scottish : STOUT
4 : moderately large

Terrible:
1 a : exciting extreme alarm or intense fear : TERRIFYING b : formidable in nature : AWESOME <a terrible responsibility> c : DIFFICULT <in a terrible bind>
2 : EXTREME, GREAT <a terrible disappointment>
3 : extremely bad: as a : strongly repulsive : OBNOXIOUS <a terrible smell> b : notably unattractive or objectionable <terrible behavior> c : of very poor quality

Awful:
1 : inspiring awe
2 : filled with awe: as a obsolete : AFRAID, TERRIFIED b : deeply respectful or reverential
3 : extremely disagreeable or objectionable <awful food>
4 : exceedingly great -- used as an intensive
OMG, words can have different definitions?? I'm shocked. Dude, that's what I find funny about their uses together -- if you consider the incorrect definition, it becomes fu... Oh, never mind.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

zeebe
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 13, 2006, 12:17 PM

Has anyone upgraded to 7 and then downgraded back to 6? what is the latest version of 6, is it 6.0.5?
iTunes 7 is HORRIBLE for me, freezes, a lot of force quits etc. I downloaded 6.0.5 and am installing now.

Support a charity as you search the Internet - Use GoodSearch - I support Sacred Heart School.

Naediel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2006, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by zeebe
Has anyone upgraded to 7 and then downgraded back to 6? what is the latest version of 6, is it 6.0.5?
iTunes 7 is HORRIBLE for me, freezes, a lot of force quits etc. I downloaded 6.0.5 and am installing now.
It has been a nightmare for me... it just crashes almost every single time I play a song. I am going to downgrade today, because I can't even listen to one song without it crashing.
-Dan

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2006, 12:46 PM

Post the crash log.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2006, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by chris v
OMG, words can have different definitions?? I'm shocked. Dude, that's what I find funny about their uses together -- if you consider the incorrect definition, it becomes fu... Oh, never mind.
I'm really sorry that I even posted in this thread now. Yeesh.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

zeebe
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 13, 2006, 01:13 PM

If you learn how to downgrade please leave a note here. I downloaded 6.0.5 and it won't install! iTunes 6 is grayed out in the install program. I have to find my iLife discs and see I can do it that way.

Edit:
Excuse my language, but, DAMN IT, I can't even install of of the iLife disc! Plus, the upgrade for the iPod ERASED my songs on my iPod, my files are still there, but no songs! So now I have an empty iPod and no working iTunes!

Support a charity as you search the Internet - Use GoodSearch - I support Sacred Heart School.

Naediel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2006, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
Post the crash log.
Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0x75637362

Thread 0 Crashed:
0 com.apple.iTunes 0x0009fda7 0x1000 + 650663
1 com.apple.iTunes 0x001a8cf5 0x1000 + 1735925
2 com.apple.iTunes 0x000ab709 0x1000 + 698121
3 com.apple.iTunes 0x003283d0 0x1000 + 3306448
4 com.apple.iTunes 0x0032ea73 0x1000 + 3332723
5 com.apple.iTunes 0x00335867 0x1000 + 3360871
6 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x92f017eb DispatchEventToHandlers(EventTargetRec*, OpaqueEventRef*, HandlerCallRec*) + 1093
7 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x92f00e90 SendEventToEventTargetInternal(OpaqueEventRef*, OpaqueEventTargetRef*, HandlerCallRec*) + 304
8 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x92f00d55 SendEventToEventTargetWithOptions + 55
9 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x92f2e0cc HIView::SendDraw(short, OpaqueGrafPtr*, __HIShape const*, CGContext*) + 466
10 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x930a2d52 HIView::RecursiveDrawComposited(__HIShape const*, unsigned long, HIView*, CGContext*, unsigned char) + 874
11 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x930a2ee4 HIView::RecursiveDrawComposited(__HIShape const*, unsigned long, HIView*, CGContext*, unsigned char) + 1276
12 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x930a2ee4 HIView::RecursiveDrawComposited(__HIShape const*, unsigned long, HIView*, CGContext*, unsigned char) + 1276
13 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x930a36d4 HIView::DrawComposited(short, OpaqueGrafPtr*, __HIShape const*, unsigned long, HIView*, CGContext*) + 600
14 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x92f2db26 HIView::Draw(short, OpaqueGrafPtr*, unsigned long) + 74
15 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x92f2da63 HIView::Render(unsigned long, CGContext*) + 45
16 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x931b33ed FlushWindowObject(WindowData*, void**, unsigned char) + 581
17 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x92f1f71f FlushAllBuffers(__CFRunLoopObserver*, CFRunLoopActivity, void*) + 167
18 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x90824155 __CFRunLoopDoObservers + 342
19 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x90822fdd CFRunLoopRunSpecific + 289
20 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x90822eb5 CFRunLoopRunInMode + 61
21 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x92f02b90 RunCurrentEventLoopInMode + 285
22 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x92ff6ffe GetNextEventMatchingMask + 100
23 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x92ff6e29 WNEInternal + 123
24 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x92ff6d97 WaitNextEvent + 57
25 com.apple.iTunes 0x0019b3fe 0x1000 + 1680382
26 com.apple.iTunes 0x0022dbc1 0x1000 + 2280385
27 com.apple.iTunes 0x0022e6e0 0x1000 + 2283232
28 com.apple.iTunes 0x00035b0a 0x1000 + 215818
29 com.apple.iTunes 0x0022ede0 0x1000 + 2285024
30 com.apple.iTunes 0x0000281e 0x1000 + 6174
31 com.apple.iTunes 0x00002739 0x1000 + 5945
-Dan

rem
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2006, 01:37 PM

I disliked the new MS style grey Aqua replacement so much that I decided to forgo the cool new features and downgraded back to iTunes 6.0.5, which was a pain as the libraries are not compatible and there is no way to downgrade nicely. Why Apple decided to introduce yet another inconsistent MS style look and why they did not offer the option to still use Aqua is beyond me. I give v7 a big

Chris Grande
Senior User
Sep 13, 2006, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Nai no Kami
I just happened to realize that, if you maximize another window (just any) before the iTunes window, it will maximize smoothly.

On a sidenote, I also found that the iTunes window updates in the dock while minimized.
I've just noticed this also... seems to also affect other windows as well; I just had it happen to a Safari window.

zeebe
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 13, 2006, 01:59 PM

how do you get a crash log?

Parky
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2006, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Tomchu
Can anyone play music over remote speakers connected via an Airport Express now? I'm trying to select "Living Room" in my drop-down list, and it just ignores the selection and reverts back to "Computer".

This sucks.
Turn on IPv6 in Network Preferences and that will fix it.

Ian
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2006, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by zeebe
how do you get a crash log?
Usually you will see a "Send the crash info to Apple"-dialog after a crash. You can copy the log out of that dialog before you click the "Send"-button. All crashes are logged in ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/ so you can view them there as well.

If possible poste a complete crash log since that might give a hint at what the problem might be. Naediel has stripped a lot of stuff from the log.

Naediel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2006, 02:34 PM

I only posted the thread that crashed and figured that would be enough.
-Dan

Forum Links
Forum Rules