Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > So with the advent of Snow Leopard, new GPUs arrive

So with the advent of Snow Leopard, new GPUs arrive
angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2009, 05:26 AM

First time a 3rd-party manufacturing partner of NVIDIA is selling a GeForce card in a Mac version, specs are great:

- Second-generation NVIDIA Unified Architecture
- NVIDIA PureVideo HD technology
- NVIDIA CUDA technology

EVGA | Articles | EVGA GTX 285 Mac Edition

OpenCL support is a given, and the GeForce GTX 285 is faster than any single-chip board ATI has to offer. So, who is getting one and why?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2009, 06:14 AM

That's positive. Too bad there's only one high end Mac line that can use those cards.

GPUs are getting huuuuuge, aren't they?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

MallyMal
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 10, 2009, 07:21 AM

I'm thinking about getting this for my 2008 MP but I want to see Final Cut Studio 3 first. Hopefully, the FCS3 apps will be optimized to use all the GPU and CPU power that the MPs have.

is not
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 10, 2009, 12:30 PM

Looks hot !!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2009, 01:21 PM

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/Graphics/...iew/index.html

There's the usual bias. This card is faster than the Radeon HD 4870 for games, however it remains slower for Apple Pro apps. It's an nVidia problem: poor performance in OpenGL which translates to the bad scores in those apps.

Those worried about this should keep in mind that the PC version of the Radeon 4870 with 512 MB VRAM (similar to the Mac version Apple offers for $349) can be found for ~$150. And it will work in a MP under OS X.

angelmb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2009, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
EVGA Geforce GTX 285 Mac Edition review (pg 1)

There's the usual bias. This card is faster than the Radeon HD 4870 for games, however it remains slower for Apple Pro apps. It's an nVidia problem: poor performance in OpenGL which translates to the bad scores in those apps.

Those worried about this should keep in mind that the PC version of the Radeon 4870 with 512 MB VRAM (similar to the Mac version Apple offers for $349) can be found for ~$150. And it will work in a MP under OS X.
Well, I don't know how those 'terrible' scores are likely to translate in the real world… my 8800GT is supposed to suck when it comes to pro apps and I can't say it is so.

Anyhow, it is more cute than any ATI has a right to be. It's been the same all along.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2009, 12:08 AM

FWIW, because of driver issues nVidia cards are extremely limited as to how many vertices they can push per second.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2009, 12:57 AM

I don't understand why Apple can't dedicate resources to improving those drivers, then.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2009, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
my 8800GT is supposed to suck when it comes to pro apps and I can't say it is so.
It definitely doesn't! These are all fast cards. I was merely trying to point out that they have different strengths and weaknesses (at least in part certainly due to the drivers).

If someone does only OpenGL and pro apps but no games they will likely chose another card than someone who's looking for a pure gamer card. On average all of these cards are excellent performers.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2009, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I don't understand why Apple can't dedicate resources to improving those drivers, then.
I don't know if it is still the case, but ATi used to have its own team at Apple's campus, working with the OS engineers to write the drivers. nVidia didn't, and it showed.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

Forum Links
Forum Rules