Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The Walking Dead

The Walking Dead
Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2010, 03:20 PM

I could see this being a worthwhile show if they keep on capping it at a 6 episode mini-series but with a second season on the way before the pilot even airs i really hope they don't try and stretch it out into something longer than that. The premise wouldn't keep the attention of an large audience beyond short story runs.

The Walking Dead - AMC Series - Official Site - AMC

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2010, 06:02 PM

I'm excited about this series. I've never read the comics but they are supposed to be excellent. I do admit that I'm a bit burned out on the whole zombie thing, since for some bizarre reason we seem to be in the middle of some sort of massive zombie pop culture renaissance.

Can I say that I was into zombies before the were cool or would that sound douchey?

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Captain Obvious  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2010, 08:48 PM

Are zombies the new vampires in Hollywood? | Reuters

The article could probably be summarized in fewer words but the highlighting of the trend is there

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 21, 2010, 09:10 PM

massive zombie pop culture renaissance
Was that a Trogdor whoop I heard in the distance?

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2010, 03:40 PM

I'm excited.
There's a review of the first 2 episodes and a 5 minute trailer at Geekscape Reviews AMC's 'The Walking Dead!' | Geekscape .

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2010, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Can I say that I was into zombies before the were cool or would that sound douchey?
You said that about flares as well.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2010, 02:08 AM

I'm hopeful. This will be the first series I am actually DVRing since the first season of Heroes.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Electric Zombie
Oct 28, 2010, 11:15 AM

Excellent.

And out of the darkness, the Zombie did call...

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2010, 09:18 PM

If you can't wait or don't have a DVR, the first episode was leaked. You can't find it in the usual channels.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2010, 08:13 AM

You mention a DVR. I have mine set to record this show, I'm looking forward to it big time. Someone told me that you could connect your computer to the DVR box and tranfer shows? Is this true?

Not to change the topic or anything, just curious.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2010, 09:32 PM

Well, anyone watch?

I give it

I would give it 5, but it did get a tad slow in the middle. The beginning and end were great. The performances were good, and the zombies and gore effects were great. Especially for a TV show.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Captain Obvious  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2010, 10:24 PM

It was good. I haven't read any comics since i was 12 but from what I hear the premier was better than the original few books it was derived from. I still don't think it would have the popularity or translation to warrant a 13 or 24 episode season every year. Its a niche audience that will watch it religiously but its high production value could help it gain enough viewership to get it maybe 3 or 4 seasons on the air.

Ars of all places had a review written up on last night's show.

bstone
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2010, 11:23 PM

I have a feeling this show is going to become very popular. The first episode was very well done.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2010, 11:46 PM

I loved it, especially that ending.

Also impressed they went with the 'slow shambling horde' zombies instead of the new super fast aggressive variety.

Big thumbs up from me.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2010, 01:33 AM

Sign me up too. GREAT show so far. Pacing was great to me, and the gore factor for TV, impressive.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2010, 05:04 AM

Nice.

(Sorry, this was in response to the ginormous spam posts that have now disappeared. Carry on.)
( Last edited by smacintush; Nov 2, 2010 at 10:13 AM. )

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2010, 10:13 AM

Just bought the season pass on iTunes. The DVR I have, from MOTOROLA, just shit the bed. AGAIN.

-Q-
Nov 2, 2010, 10:52 AM

Really enjoyed it. Never read the comics, so going in without any bias or expectations and I really enjoyed the first episode.

Loved the emotional scene

Everyones southern accents were rubbish, but I can ignore that.

Cold Warrior
Nov 5, 2010, 06:07 PM

This is still sitting on my apple tv. Hope to get to it this weekend.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2010, 08:53 PM

Set this up on the DVR based on all the buzz. It's picking up the re-run of the first episode tonite. Hopefully my expectations haven't been set too high.

OAW

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2010, 01:12 PM

First episode was stronger than the second. It felt rushed and sloppy.

Still not terrible, but a big step down in overall quality.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2010, 02:59 PM

I enjoyed the first episode, but the second one from last night seemed a bit cheesy (in terms of acting/dialogue).

There are also some questionable motives/situations, some quite poor imo - at times it felt as though Stephen King directed this. I'm losing faith in this show, but I'll give it one more week.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 8, 2010, 03:02 PM

First episode annoyed me. They have two or three helicopters, humvees, crap ton of semi- and fully automatic weapons. WHY do they get the bolt action rifle, shotgun, and horse?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2010, 03:04 PM

I'd rather have a shotgun than any fully automatic weapon.

You also might remember he had a car and it ran out of gas, horses don't need gas.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 8, 2010, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
You also might remember he had a car and it ran out of gas, horses don't need gas.
Yeah, but he had access to THREE helicopters. Since the Sheriff's office has a diesel generator, he had plenty of fuel to fill up a humvee or any diesel vehicle. Also, cars don't get eaten by zombies.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2010, 03:11 PM

Well in my Zombie experience, usage of roadways is tenuous at best, even in a military vehicle. Secondly, unless he was trained to fly a helicopter that won't help either, not to mention those also run out of gas and may leave you in a less than desirable situation.

As for auto weapons they eat through ammo much quicker than a single-shot accurate bolt action. For a gun that you don't need as much accuracy I'd go with the shotgun. If you are hunting for squishy headshots, then even a .22 would do the trick and be much easier to shoot than a M4 or similar weapon.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2010, 03:26 PM

How long was he supposed to be in a coma? He looked like he had about a months worth of facial hair growth.

It seems like the whole world ended pretty quickly. I'm having trouble buying it. In a world with this many guns, normal moving undead monsters that have to bite you to kill you would not be able to end civilization as we know it in a month or two.

Walled off cities ruled by fear, violence and martial law, maybe, yes. Eradication of 99.9% of humanity? Nah, I just don't buy it.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2010, 03:31 PM

In my opinion, not one Zombie movie passes that test Ort.

I think, even in a worse-case scenario, that the National Guard would mop up any mess pretty quickly. Not to mention the sheer amount of gun-owners in the US as well. Zombie movies never really accurately show how the world got completely massacred, but it's simply supposed to be something you accept as the current situation in order to enjoy the results.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2010, 03:45 PM

I think most of humanity would end up starving to death barricaded in homes and various other shelters. And maybe most people are locked away hiding at this point. There could be lots of survivors and they are all just smart enough to stay locked up and silent.

Also, Atlanta is a big city. It is surrounded by miles and miles and miles of suburban sprawl like most big cities. It would be pretty hard to gallop downtown without major zombie related complications.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2010, 03:47 PM

I tried to go into the show open-minded but could barely get through the pilot. I thought the acting was awful and the premise is hard to buy.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2010, 03:51 PM

I think at that point, especially since the military safe zone was set up inside the city, that all of the surrounding walkers headed towards where the flesh was, of course, this happening in the course of one month is a little dubious. Not to mention the flimsy tent city the other survivors have set up, I wouldn't be comfortable with that at all.

I think starvation wouldn't be so much a problem as dehydration. Yes, there are plenty of fresh water sources down south, but how many of them are potable drinking water? Once the purification systems went offline tap water would start to host bacteria, and I'd see a lot of people getting dysentery from contaminated water sources, speeding their dehydration.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2010, 04:01 PM

I think, even in a worse-case scenario, that the National Guard would mop up any mess pretty quickly. Not to mention the sheer amount of gun-owners in the US as well. Zombie movies never really accurately show how the world got completely massacred, but it's simply supposed to be something you accept as the current situation in order to enjoy the results.
What about 28 days later. Making the infection almost instantaneous and the zombies super fast and hyper violent makes the uncontained spread more realistic since world governments/the military just don't react that fast.

even if it does betray the zombies classic shuffling heratige.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2010, 04:04 PM

What we have here is a 'Zombie vs Infected' discussion at hand.

Zombies need to bite or scratch to pass the zombification, Infected spit blood and can generally get ya without much effort.

In the case of Infected, then yes, wildly violent, super-fast and enraged humanoids that can infect you easily would very quickly cause a meltdown. However, even in 28 Days, only the UK was quarantined and the infection did not make it off the island.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2010, 04:06 PM

What we have here is a 'Zombie vs Infected' discussion at hand.

Zombies need to bite or scratch to pass the zombification, Infected spit blood and can generally get ya without much effort.

In the case of Infected, then yes, wildly violent, super-fast and enraged humanoids that can infect you easily would very quickly cause a meltdown. However, even in 28 Days, only the UK was quarantined and the infection did not make it off the island.
It did in 28 weeks later.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2010, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Yeah, but he had access to THREE helicopters. Since the Sheriff's office has a diesel generator, he had plenty of fuel to fill up a humvee or any diesel vehicle. Also, cars don't get eaten by zombies.
The sheriff's station was heated by propane.

Though what does irk me is that he didn't carry a siphon to pull fuel from tanks of other cars. Not all cars had run out of gas.

Still enjoy the show.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2010, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
It did in 28 weeks later.
Yeah, but were those actually zombies? I thought they were infected via blood by something called "rage".

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 8, 2010, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by ctt1wbw View Post
Yeah, but were those actually zombies? I thought they were infected via blood by something called "rage".
Correct, they weren't zombies. They were still 100% alive. The military had chained that one guy up to see how long it would take for them to starve to death, by which point they would know when they could leave the compound.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2010, 04:55 PM

Yep, those are 'Infected'

Zombies are from the Romero films, and are not explained how they came to be. Some movies focus on the spiritual aspect (no more room in hell, etc) and some provide clues as to how people became zombified.

Infected are the newer breed, and stem from the spread of a terrible and incredibly contagious virus.

If I had to choose I would take the older Romero zombies any day of the week.

Captain Obvious  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2010, 09:43 PM

Zombies are from the Romero films, and are not explained how they came to be. Some movies focus on the spiritual aspect (no more room in hell, etc) and some provide clues as to how people became zombified.
Which is the one part of 28 Days that I appreciated over all these other movies. The backstory made it more entertaining and I wish more writers would address it even if it was by vague references. It doesn't have to be plausible given the need to entirely suspend reality in these flicks but something would be better than nothing.
Even that dumb Will Smith movie made more of an effort than most

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 8, 2010, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
Even that dumb Will Smith movie made more of an effort than most
I'm pretty sure there was no effort. It was an experiment on whether you could make a film by just putting Will Smith in front of a camera.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 11, 2010, 07:28 AM

Read World War Z by Max Brooks. It goes into great detail on how it all went wrong, including the military stand point. The Battle of Yonkers is probably one of my favorite sections of the book, where a soldier that survived the battle discusses just how badly the military screwed the pooch by trying to use high tech warfare and conventional tactics against a mindless zombie horde. It's probably my favorite book. I highly recommend it.
Nemo me impune lacesset

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2010, 09:57 AM

Also check out the two Day by Day Armageddon books.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2010, 05:48 PM

Just watched it. Pretty impressive. The zombie make up is pretty good especially for a TV show. The crawling half a woman was particularly creepy.

Mass zombie attack in Atlanta was pretty good too although the escape was a bit trite.

Here's hoping they can keep the bar high.

Cold Warrior
Nov 15, 2010, 12:14 AM

The Atlanta zombies seemed faster and some of them used tools (rocks to smash windows). I hope it was just an oversight, unless they're prepared to introduce various levels of zombie evolution and explain it.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2010, 03:23 AM

Their intelligence and speed is determined by the number of brains they eat.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Rumor
Nov 17, 2010, 03:23 PM

I watched the first two the other night. I like it and may just watch the entire season. I don't have a DVR but luckily Comcast has it via On Demand.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

bstone
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2010, 11:46 PM

If I was living in a land filled with hungry walking dead, the first thing I would do is to let my guard down and live in a place where they could attack from 360 degrees.

SERIOUSLY?!

The last episode had exactly that. Completely insulting and ridiculous. If the land was infested by the walking dead I would spend day and night building a wall or move to a place where there was one.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

gradient
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2010, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by bstone View Post
If I was living in a land filled with hungry walking dead, the first thing I would do is to let my guard down and live in a place where they could attack from 360 degrees.

SERIOUSLY?!

The last episode had exactly that. Completely insulting and ridiculous. If the land was infested by the walking dead I would spend day and night building a wall or move to a place where there was one.
Yup. I'm liking this show but wishing it was better. It's got all the potential to be excellent but with it's mediocre writing I think it's maxing out at entertaining.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Nov 25, 2010, 08:40 AM

Yes I'm still liking it but it does seem to be not too worried about internal consistencies so far. Ho Hum. I mean the slightest noise in Atlanta brought the hordes down on the survivors trapped in the store, while earlier in the town house the zombies new they were inside but seemed content just to rattle a few door knobs, even after the husband started taking pot shots at them.

I don't know how the Atlanta zombies get their speed either, at one point they were actually running!

I always think about one other thing with zombie flicks, how long would you have to survive to just wait out the infection? From the state of the zombies they obviously continue to decay so surely at some point their zombie bodies would just rot away around them. All the survivors have to do is wait it out. I think WWZ addressed this with hordes of zombies turning up again after winter thaws etc.

I guess there would be some societal adjustment post zombie as funerals would have to include some kind of brain destroying ritual to avoid the unwelcome return of past loved ones.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2010, 03:32 PM

Concerning the zombies speed.

I actually think The Walking Dead style of zombie is pretty cool. It appears plenty of them sit down or stop moving completely until they have a good reason to. Then they start shuffling around and build up speed slowly. After a nice warm up they can move at what appears to be a slow jog.

I like it alot, and this last episode was awesome, no matter what anyone says.

Forum Links
Forum Rules