Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > what if I sell my 3 iTunes "authorized" computers?

what if I sell my 3 iTunes "authorized" computers?
zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2003, 12:02 AM

What if I authorize the 3 Macs I presently own, but eventually sell them? Do I lose the music I've downloaded from Apple?

I know I can burn to a CD, but what if I want to keep it on a hard drive?

Am I missing something?

joe_kr
Apr 30, 2003, 12:05 AM

you can authorize/deauthorize at will

Lots of info:
http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/...29195456.shtml

zigzag  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2003, 12:22 AM

OK, thanks, I get it - only 3 Macs can be authorized at any given time, but you can rotate different Macs in and out. Cool.

me17213
Apr 30, 2003, 12:51 AM

What *if* (and it is a BIG if) my computer crashed and i had to reformat the drive and such (losing everything)....

is the computer still authorized?

joe_kr
Apr 30, 2003, 12:53 AM

Originally posted by me17213:
What *if* (and it is a BIG if) my computer crashed and i had to reformat the drive and such (losing everything)....

I'd assume so...

no one seems to know exactly how it's implemented.

zigzag  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2003, 03:11 AM

I read somewhere that authorization would survive a drive reformat. Apparently Apple will have the authorization info on its servers, and they'll be able to identify your Mac when you log in.

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2003, 03:25 AM

Originally posted by zigzag:
I read somewhere that authorization would survive a drive reformat. Apparently Apple will have the authorization info on its servers, and they'll be able to identify your Mac when you log in.
Linked to your e'net card's MAC?
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2003, 03:58 AM

Originally posted by Earth Mk. II:
I bet something like that is involved, maybe the machine serial number also... If it is the latter, I wonder what would happen if I try to authorize a song from the Music Store in my motherboard replaced PowerMac G4... since the replacement it lost the serial number info... Anyway, I cannot buy songs from Europe so

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2003, 03:58 AM

Originally posted by me17213:

Yeah - but you'd have lost all your music ! Make sure you back it up.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2003, 08:05 AM

I dont see why if apple has the music tracked to you for authorization, that they can't keep track of what you own, so you can download a fresh copy do to accedental data lost.

I know, I know, "If you don't backup its your own ****ing fault" And I agree, I just wonder why they don't have this is practice.

-Owl

dfiler
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2003, 08:25 AM

Originally posted by Earth Mk. II:
I'm curious about this as well. How are computers identified?

I am holding off buying much music until I completely understand the DRM scheme. I've bought all releases of OS X but never clean installed over the 4k78 I found on the net... Hmmm. maybe I should reinstall to make sure my serial is legal. Is OS X even serialized?

Guy Incognito 2
Banned
Apr 30, 2003, 08:49 AM

Originally posted by eevyl:
I bet something like that is involved, maybe the machine serial number also... If it is the latter, I wonder what would happen if I try to authorize a song from the Music Store in my motherboard replaced PowerMac G4... since the replacement it lost the serial number info... Anyway, I cannot buy songs from Europe so
That's a pretty unlikely scenario. But it happens...I suppose Apple would grant a redownload in that situation (with proof of the failed hardware). If not...well your music can still be installed on 2 computers (instead of 3).

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2003, 08:51 AM

Originally posted by zigzag:
I believe they attach the authorization to your account. I authorized my work machine after setting up my account at home. They don't have to be on the same network, any I believe you are correct about reformatting.

Some firewalls could be a problem, though.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

swatson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2003, 09:01 AM

the whole concept is to "own" the music you buy. If you own it you are responsible for it!

dFrom apple's web site:

Be sure to make regular backups of your music files (in your iTunes Music folder) by copying them to an external hard disk or other media. If your hard disk becomes damaged or you lose any of the music you've purchased, you'll have to reimport all your songs and buy any purchased music again to rebuild your library.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93033

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2003, 09:33 AM

Originally posted by swatson:
the whole concept is to "own" the music you buy. If you own it you are responsible for it!
Bingo. If Apple charged a subscription fee for its music service, and music you bought went away when the subscription stopped, then I'd expect Apple to replace files that got lost. After all, you don't really own the files, you just subscribe to them.

But they charge per-song, and once you bought it, you've bought it. It would be nice if Apple replaced them, but I wouldn't expect it.

Of course, this whole discussion is moot for me until I can get iTunes to use my friggin' CC information! I want to give Apple money, but they won't take it....

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2003, 04:11 PM

Originally posted by dreilly1:
Bingo. If Apple charged a subscription fee for its music service, and music you bought went away when the subscription stopped, then I'd expect Apple to replace files that got lost. After all, you don't really own the files, you just subscribe to them.

But they charge per-song, and once you bought it, you've bought it. It would be nice if Apple replaced them, but I wouldn't expect it.

Of course, this whole discussion is moot for me until I can get iTunes to use my friggin' CC information! I want to give Apple money, but they won't take it....
If it's the 3 digit security code; when I once had a problem with an online shop accepting that number, I tried punching in the 4 digit number next to it and it accepted it for some odd reason.

Footy
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2003, 06:14 PM

Do you really own it anymore than you own a CD you buy from Best Buy though. If you loose or break a music CD you have it's not like they would replace it for free.

-Footy

Originally posted by swatson:

Forum Links
Forum Rules