Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Converting to AAC, OK. But then...

Converting to AAC, OK. But then...
RooneyX
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2003, 01:34 PM

...it makes a mess of my library. I choose 'Convert to AAC' and it makes a duplicate copy and just leaves it in the library. It should have made a duplicate, deleted the mp3 and then fixed the link in my playlist to point to the new files. Instead I have to manually go through over 1000 tracks now

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2003, 01:40 PM

Originally posted by RooneyX:
...it makes a mess of my library. I choose 'Convert to AAC' and it makes a duplicate copy and just leaves it in the library. It should have made a duplicate, deleted the mp3 and then fixed the link in my playlist to point to the new files. Instead I have to manually go through over 1000 tracks now
Or just enable listing by kind, sort the list and delete the non-aac tracks.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2003, 01:42 PM

Go to edit, then view options, then mark kind(or something like that). Then you can easely sort out the mp3 from aac and trash them.

Did that help at all?

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

jasong
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2003, 01:52 PM

That's strange, when I re-encoded a CD it said that the songs were already on my drive and gave me the option to replace them with the new copies. It even kept my meta-data (star rating, last played, # of times played, etc.).

You would think that converting would work the same way.

-- Jason

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2003, 01:56 PM

yeah it would have been cool if it was the same, but it is not

earlier today i finished converting all 1208 songs. it took a while. and i lost my play count. not a big deal. but i did get 1.4 gig more hdd space.

fortepianissimo
Senior User
Apr 29, 2003, 02:12 PM

forgive my ignorance but where is this option "Convert to AAC"? It's not the one in the preferences (Importing) right?

And does it sound bad when you convert MP3 to AAC instead of re-ripping?

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2003, 02:15 PM

Originally posted by fortepianissimo:
forgive my ignorance but where is this option "Convert to AAC"? It's not the one in the preferences (Importing) right?

And does it sound bad when you convert MP3 to AAC instead of re-ripping?
Yes you lose audio quality going from MP3 to aac. It is better to re-rip.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2003, 02:53 PM

You do NOT want to do that. You shouldn't convert directly from MP3 to AAC. Quality will suffer.

You should re-rip the files directly to AAC from CD, or you should just leave them as MP3s.

schep
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 29, 2003, 06:01 PM

to make it easier to delete files after conversion don't deselect the files you converted then when finished just hit delete
cheap but it works

RooneyX  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2003, 04:16 AM

Originally posted by Axo1ot1:
Yes you lose audio quality going from MP3 to aac. It is better to re-rip.
Now here's the dilemma. I've just sent all my CDs to another country along with my books and videos because I'm moving home and hav etoo much stuff to carry. Therefore I sent them to my mother. Another reason why we should be able to make backup copies of stuff we buy.

joe_kr
Apr 30, 2003, 04:20 AM

why did you do this? Do you know why?

most likely, you just decreased the quality of your whole collection for no reason.

RooneyX  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2003, 12:54 PM

Originally posted by joe_kr:
why did you do this? Do you know why?

most likely, you just decreased the quality of your whole collection for no reason.
Odd. I just bought an Alu17 this morning and networked my computer to move the data across to my new machine. Imported all the mp3s from the old machine into iTunes with AAC import set and it didn't convert the mp3s that way. Only does it manually or from CDs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules