Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Strange New G5 Sleep Issue

Strange New G5 Sleep Issue
CambAngst
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2003, 08:43 AM

I installed Panther on Friday and two or three times since then I've had a problem where the computer would start to go into display sleep, then suddenly come back to life with all 9 fans running at top speed. It carries on like this for a minute or two and then the GUI freezes, requiring a restart with the power button.

My box is a dual 2 GHz, no haxies or other funky software, Apple Pro keyboard and Microsoft trackball, and a few odds and ends connected via a D-Link USB 2.0 hub. The machine ran for three weeks pre-Panther without ever having this problem. Ideas???

oranjdisc
Senior User
Oct 27, 2003, 10:57 AM

I have had the EXACT SAME ISSUE with my dual 2ghz G5. The machine goes into sleep mode, screen goes black, machine cuts back on, screen comes back on, and fans are going full throttle. Repeat...over...and over...

The only solution I could find was to go into the Energy Saver panel and set my machine to never sleep, and turn the screen off after a set amount of time. Oddly, once the G5 was in that aforementioned sleep-loop, the machine continued to cut on and off even while I was trying to access the preferences. I finally had to force-reboot, and set the preferences that way.

AU_student_iceBook
Senior User
Oct 27, 2003, 12:41 PM

Same problem here. Brand new dual G5. Panther (retail)
Freaks out when it wakes from sleep.

This in not a huge deal, but it is the least stable Apple setup I have used since OSX came out (public beta)

CambAngst  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2003, 03:08 PM

Always glad to see that it's not just me.

So did the problems begin on your systems before or after you installed Panther? I need to do a bit more experimenting because I installed Panther and a new SanDisk SD media reader at the same time.

oranjdisc
Senior User
Oct 27, 2003, 03:09 PM

Not sure. I never used Jaguar on the dual G5. I installed Panther from the get-go. I went to Apple.com to look in Discussions about this, and there isn't a forum yet for the G5?!?! Am I blind?

osxisfun
Oct 27, 2003, 03:21 PM

its in the Powermac G4 and newer sections.

I agree there should be a G5 one by now..

billybob128
Senior User
Oct 28, 2003, 01:49 PM

this has just happened to me but after it woke from the second sleep no problems but there is time yet and im on jaguar untill panther commes this weekend and the machine arrived yesterday!!!

CambAngst  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2003, 05:01 PM

I found this thread on the Apple support site addressing a similar-sounding issue:

Link

turk.o
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2003, 01:12 PM

Has anyone who has a Dual G5 installed panther without this problem? I was going to install but panther today on mine, but first I found that it completely breaks Epson firewire scanners, which I NEED, and now this. look like i'll be waiting for awhile. damn!

t.o

ps:meanwhile i am using panther on my laptop, and its nice and everything, but FontBook?

total POS! i'd recommend evryone staying away from that if you have a lot of fonts and need pro managment.

ckohler
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 29, 2003, 01:22 PM

I've never experianced this on my 2Ghz Dual G5 but like oranjdisc I never let my G5 go to sleep. I just have the display set to sleep after 20 minutes of inactivity.

I've also go the CPU throttling set to maximum and turned off hard disc spin down.

eggman
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 1, 2003, 07:42 AM

Originally posted by turk.o:
Has anyone who has a Dual G5 installed panther without this problem? I was going to install but panther today on mine, but first I found that it completely breaks Epson firewire scanners, which I NEED, and now this. look like i'll be waiting for awhile. damn!
At the risk of jinxing myself...

I've had Panther installed on my Dual G5 and have not experienced this wake-from-sleep issue in the week since installing Panther.

And I *do* have the G5 sleep each night... or after an hour of inactivity (so it sometimes goes to sleep over a long lunch break).

AU_student_iceBook
Senior User
Nov 1, 2003, 01:22 PM

I think it might have to do with iTunes being open also?

Any thoughts?

Haven't had any problems since I closed iTunes before sleep.

eggman
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 1, 2003, 01:34 PM

I usually have iTunes open...

But you guys might find it amusing that no sooner do I post that this has never happened to me (and mentioned not wanting to jinx myself) it happened to me: it woke up with a kernel panic - all fans blazing. Tried going to sleep a few more times - crash on wake every time.

However, I think I know why that started happening to me: yesterday I installed the extension for my Zio! CompactFlash card reader.

When I removed that extension this morning, after those crash-on-wake, I was able to put the G5 to sleep and wake repeatedly without incident.

Interestingly, I had *never* been able to wake from sleep without crashing on my AGP G4 that had the CompactFlash reader attached to it for years... but I always assumed the problem was related to something else - namely, my Adaptec SCSI card.

USB/USB driver problems should be considered when troubleshooting issues with sleep on Macs.

rhogue islander
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2003, 02:07 PM

My dual G5 with radeon 9800 retail has no such issues with wake from sleep. I think I've had one or two instances where it did not wake from sleep, but that occasionally happened with my G4's, so I think its par for the course.

oranjdisc
Senior User
Nov 2, 2003, 10:29 AM

According to this Apple discussions thread a G5 owner isolated the issue to the Airport Extreme card. When he removed it, sleep functioned normally.

Now, Apple just released an Airport update a couple of days ago, which I downloaded and installed. I just put my G5 into sleep (which would normally go into that fan-blazing-loop-of-death), and it stayed in sleep mode without any abnormalities.

So...perhaps Apple fixed this in that Airport update.

AU_student_iceBook
Senior User
Nov 2, 2003, 12:10 PM

I don't have an airport extreme card.

Sinemacula
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2003, 07:15 PM

I'm having the sleep -> full fan blast problem on my Dual G5... it slept fine until I added an Orangelink USB 2/Firewire PCI card. With the card installed, it seems to sleep, but within 2 minutes the fans have ramped up to full speed... then, when I wake the G5, the cursor freezes, forcing me to shut down and restart.

I tested by taking the card out... and the problem was gone - the G5 slept blissfully.

According to a couple of posts on the Apple discussion boards, it seems it may be a logic board problem... I guess something on the logic board doesn't like anything extra installed? (either airport cards, pci cards, etc.)?

I'm on hold with Apple support right now... at least there's an Apple Store about a mile away if I have to take it in for repairs!
MacBook Pro 2.4GHz; 4GB RAM; 23" Cinema Display
iPhone
Mac OS X 10.5.4

Sinemacula
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2003, 08:44 PM

Okay, well, according to the Apple tech guy I spoke to, he thinks it's not likely the logic board. I had tried the card in two separate PCI slots, and the tech said that it's very unusual that two slots go at once, so it's more likely a problem with the card (is this just an example of passing the buck?)... and that maybe there'll be a firmware update released by OrangeMicro. I have sent an email to OrangeMicro tech support, so we'll see if they pass the buck back to Apple.

In the meantime, my Airport Extreme card should be arriving tomorrow... so I'll do some testing with it as well... I guess if my G5 has a sleep problem with it also (without the Orangelink card installed)... then I can pass the buck back to Apple!
MacBook Pro 2.4GHz; 4GB RAM; 23" Cinema Display
iPhone
Mac OS X 10.5.4

vasu
Senior User
Nov 3, 2003, 06:14 AM

i have a similar problem. when i wake my computer from sleep sometimes (not all the time), it'll wake up, then go to sleep. if I wake it up again, it'll go back to sleep. this happens a few times.

it's a stock dual2ghz setup with an extra 1gb of (crucial) ram. no airport card, itunes not running, etc.

-vasu

Forum Links
Forum Rules