Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Do Apple Retail Stores have day-after-Thanksgiving sales?

Do Apple Retail Stores have day-after-Thanksgiving sales?
JHromadka
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2003, 03:14 PM

My Dad has been planning on getting an iMac, but was really wanting one with a 20" screen (Apple shouldn't put iMacs next to those wonderful Cinema displays ). Well now that Apple has granted his wish, I want him to get an iMac so my parents and I can talk over iChat while I'm in Canada.

With American Thanksgiving coming up next week, will Apple Retail stores have special day-after-Thanksgiving sales? He's a teacher, so he would already get an edu. discount, but I think a sweeter deal could push him into finally buying a Mac.

voyageur
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2003, 04:34 PM

I don't think you'll see any sales, but Apple Stores in the US are promising special events that day (they sent around a promotional email last week). Call your local store for details. Hope you convince him. My Dad loves his old iMac.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2003, 10:01 AM

Apple put something on sale?

That'll be the day.

God forbid they try a sale to drive up business and market share. Of course, their excuse will be "We don't want people waiting to see if something's coming on sale, we just want people to pay full price."

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2003, 03:10 PM

Originally posted by Gankdawg:

That'll be the day.

God forbid they try a sale to drive up business and market share. Of course, their excuse will be "We don't want people waiting to see if something's coming on sale, we just want people to pay full price."

haha, well said

mishap
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2003, 03:32 PM

i read rumors that iPods will be 10% off and you can pick up a *physical* iTMS gift certificate.

Ganesha
Senior User
Nov 23, 2003, 04:25 PM

That'll be the day.

Apple's already held two 10% off deals. (Jaguar and Panther Launch events)

voyageur
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2003, 04:51 PM

Everyday is sale day if you're an edu buyer.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 23, 2003, 06:26 PM

So far I haven't received an E.Mail regarding the event at Apple Strore on Friday November 28th. My plan is to visit on that day. Interested as to what the special we be!

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2003, 07:31 PM

Originally posted by Ganesha:
Apple's already held two 10% off deals. (Jaguar and Panther Launch events)
Were those discounts available online? I don't have an Apple Store near me. Well, actually I do, it just opened but is 2 hours away.

joe_kr
Nov 23, 2003, 09:32 PM

Originally posted by JHromadka:

With American Thanksgiving coming up next week, will Apple Retail stores have special day-after-Thanksgiving sales? He's a teacher, so he would already get an edu. discount, but I think a sweeter deal could push him into finally buying a Mac.
10% off Music Related Products at Apple Stores on the Friday after Thanksgiving.

And if history is any guide, this will NOT be combinable with edu discounts.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2003, 11:49 PM

That'll be the day.

Uh, 10% off all Macs the day Panther was released.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Nov 24, 2003, 09:18 AM

Originally posted by starman:
Uh, 10% off all Macs the day Panther was released.

Mike
Uh, that was my point. Apple doesn't use sale prices to drive up business/market share. We've only seen 1 sale so far. But again, Apple is a "we hope you buy it for full price" company.

Don't get me wrong. I still love Apple. I've owned 5 macs in the last 7 years.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2003, 01:01 PM

I will be very disappointed if it is music related only. My hope that it will also be a 10% discount on all software.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

dtriska
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2003, 06:44 PM

I think the lack of sales is because Apple is seen as a premium brand. BMW's and Mercedes-Benz's cars don't go on sale, either.

Still, it would be nice, especially with the holiday season here.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 24, 2003, 06:56 PM

First, I think dtriska is right about Apple's thoughts on sales. On the other hand, I have seen BMWs, Mercedes, Hummers, and other "premium" auto brands on sale in concert with some sort of real promotional event. With high-end cars, there's a pretty big margin for both the dealer and the manufacturer, so they can be more flexible than, say, a low-end dealership. But the people with the money to show off often don't even look at haggling; "I'll take it!" is a pretty common statement at Jaguar, Hummer, and other "show" brand dealerships.

Second, while the Friday after Thanksgiving is the "traditional" start of the Christmas shopping season, I've seen Christmas decorations in stores since before Halloween, and, except for distinctly Halloween items, the stores have been stuffed with "gift" items. What ever happened to Thanksgiving, anyway? Still, I stolidly refuse to buy into the hype, so I do something OTHER THAN SHOP on the day after Thanksgiving. ANYTHING OTHER THAN SHOP.

Finally, Apple has developed their product line to the point that they can start looking at a non-premium consumer base. When there's fair parity in cost and performance between an iBook and a Windows laptop, between a PowerBook and a powerful Win laptop, and between a G5 (drool, drool, drool), it's time to start selling on the merits of the different products, not just the label and image. That time is already here.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules