Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > XCode 1.2

XCode 1.2
davecom
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2004, 01:28 PM

Feelings, comments?

holygoat
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 25, 2004, 01:37 PM

Yes - I want a BitTorrent feed, because their rubbish FTP-based distribution method sucks.

When Xcode got to 1.1 I had to write a shell script to repeatedly try re-mounting every time it disconnected, vainly trying to download each part - and it's just crazy trying to do it with the Finder, or over a modem.

Other than that, I'm looking forward to trying it out!

davecom  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2004, 02:09 PM

What a weird install. I had to download like 20 packages but unpacking any of them made them look the same. So how did the one that I used for the install program know the others were there still compressed? Weird. You'll see what I mean when you do the install. Also I saw a suggestion on Apple's readme to reinstall the Java 1.4.2 developer package after installing so I'm doing that now.

proton
Senior User
Apr 26, 2004, 12:20 AM

Originally posted by holygoat:
Yes - I want a BitTorrent feed, because their rubbish FTP-based distribution method sucks.
I was able to download it at 1.3MB/sec (yes, megabytes, not megabits). I don't think there's anything overly wrong with the FTP based distribution -- all it needs is a way to get the FTP link without having to copy it from your browser as it goes to start downloading.

- proton

holygoat
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 26, 2004, 03:19 AM

Originally posted by proton:
I was able to download it at 1.3MB/sec (yes, megabytes, not megabits). I don't think there's anything overly wrong with the FTP based distribution -- all it needs is a way to get the FTP link without having to copy it from your browser as it goes to start downloading.

- proton
Yes, I don't mind FTP itself, but for me it went like this:

* Click link
* Vainly try to catch the URL and cancel, in order to pick up the uniquely-generated user/pass pair for the server
* Connect manually
* Try to get a package
* Connection times out while downloading. Start again.

This would repeat 20 or so times. There wouldn't be a problem if either (a) we could use our standard login details to reach the server, or (b) the bloody connection didn't timeout, causing the Finder to throw up disconnection warnings and the transfer to stop (I'm only on a 60K ADSL line).

I favour (a), as they'd never allow unregistered people to get access to the BitTorrent feed, now would they?

holygoat
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 26, 2004, 03:21 AM

* Connection times out while downloading. Start again.
Oh yes, and my ADC login would have timed out by then too - so I'd have to re-login, re-navigate to the downloads, then click the link and start again. 20 times.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2004, 01:10 PM

Oh yes, and my ADC login would have timed out by then too - so I'd have to re-login, re-navigate to the downloads, then click the link and start again. 20 times.
I had no trouble downloading it after the connection timed out once. Safari insists on mounting the FTP server in the Finder, and copying took too long and times out frequently.

So, I took the FTP URL and pasted it into good old Fetch (which is up to version 4.0.3 and works natively under Panther, $25 from Fetch Softworks) All 21 parts downloaded quickly and easily without a hitch.

Also, has anyone thought of the fact that hundreds of people are trying to download XCode 1.2 all at once? I usually have this type of problem when something is newly released... three weeks or so later, I have no trouble using the Finder to copy FTP files.

qyn
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 26, 2004, 04:09 PM

The last XCode update eventually came through software update, as I recall. I guess I'll be waiting for that this time...

absmiths
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2004, 05:35 PM

I was able to get it at +/- 80 k/s using the Finder. The install is weird - it's like the first image looks for the other parts to be in the same directory in .bin format. Why .bin them anyway? What are they preserving?

beamso
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2004, 10:00 PM

The easiest way to download Xcode in that form is to use the command line ftp client, or a gui client like Transmit.

With regards to Xcode 1.2, it's stupid that code completion is F5. I use a laptop, so F5 is Fn+F5 which makes it quite hard to do. Control + . doesn't work for me, which is listed in the documentation as the other shortcut for the command doesn't work for me.

Also, it frustrates me that 'Java is a first class citizen on OS X' but not inside the default editor for the platform. I understand that Eclipse exists, and use it full time, but it's GUI annoys me at times (especially since Windows/GTK variants have the detachable windows and the Mac doesn't).

The next comment is probably not related to this post, but I was frustrated with the documentation for Carbon and Cocoa. It isn't as nice to navigate as the JDKs, plus inside the documentation viewer, it jumped between Carbon and Cocoa versions of the same functions and constants (for Core Foundation).

holygoat
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 27, 2004, 05:12 AM

Originally posted by beamso:
The easiest way to download Xcode in that form is to use the command line ftp client, or a gui client like Transmit.
It would be, if the FTP session didn't keep timing out, requiring another ADC login and user/password capture to restart. It doesn't matter which tool you use (well, as long as it's not the Finder!), it's the infrastructure that matters.

They could have the same security by simply issuing a user/pass combo that was valid for, say, 24 hours, locking it to an IP address, and saying "grab it via FTP however you wish".

iNeusch
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2004, 05:17 AM

To download :

Go to ADC
Copy the link to ftp (with login and pass)
In terminal type "ftp " and paste the url
type "prompt off"
type "mget *"

There you go

holygoat
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 27, 2004, 05:45 AM

Originally posted by iNeusch:
To download :

Go to ADC
Copy the link to ftp (with login and pass)
In terminal type "ftp " and paste the url
type "prompt off"
type "mget *"

There you go
This didn't work for me, because
* The FTP session kept disconnecting. This may or may not have been whenever my ADC login timed out; I didn't keep track.
* After each ADC timeout, the FTP user/pass changed - so every time I was disconnected, I had to manually login to get the URL/user/pass again. Simply trying again with FTP wasn't enough, because the password kept changing, so I couldn't get back in.

mget, of course, doesn't respect what I've already downloaded, so I had to do that part by hand, too.

If the user/pass stayed the same, I wouldn't have had a problem.

iNeusch
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2004, 06:00 AM

This didn't work for me, because
* The FTP session kept disconnecting. This may or may not have been whenever my ADC login timed out; I didn't keep track.
* After each ADC timeout, the FTP user/pass changed - so every time I was disconnected, I had to manually login to get the URL/user/pass again. Simply trying again with FTP wasn't enough, because the password kept changing, so I couldn't get back in.

mget, of course, doesn't respect what I've already downloaded, so I had to do that part by hand, too.

If the user/pass stayed the same, I wouldn't have had a problem.
it was the same for me with the first server
then I tried another one and it was perfect

sorry it didn't help

holygoat
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 27, 2004, 06:32 AM

Originally posted by iNeusch:
it was the same for me with the first server
then I tried another one and it was perfect

sorry it didn't help
No problem - I do appreciate your effort!

mrwalker
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 27, 2004, 09:11 AM

So aside from downloading problems, has anyone got it installed and wants to tell us about it?

-mrwalker

hayesk
Apr 27, 2004, 12:22 PM

Originally posted by mrwalker:
So aside from downloading problems, has anyone got it installed and wants to tell us about it?

-mrwalker
Umh... it's only out for specific developers, isn't it? If so, then nobody is going to violate their NDA to tell us about it.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2004, 12:37 PM

i just downloaded it, and i've just got a regular free ADC membership. that said, my powerbook is off for repairs so i haven't been able to install it (so if i AM under NDA, i couldn't break it if i wanted to)

mrwalker
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 27, 2004, 12:39 PM

Originally posted by hayesk:
Umh... it's only out for specific developers, isn't it? If so, then nobody is going to violate their NDA to tell us about it.
I'm a Select Developer too. It doesn't say anything in the seed notes for XCode 1.2 about an NDA, like in the 10.3.4 seed notes. But that's all I'm telling you

-mrwalker

Person Man
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2004, 04:06 PM

I think it's actually been released, because Online only members (like myself) NEVER get access to prerelease seeds of major things like Mac OS X or Xcode.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 27, 2004, 04:20 PM

Originally posted by beamso:
With regards to Xcode 1.2, it's stupid that code completion is F5. I use a laptop, so F5 is Fn+F5 which makes it quite hard to do. Control + . doesn't work for me, which is listed in the documentation as the other shortcut for the command doesn't work for me.
I believe you can reassign these in the preferences. At least, in 1.1 I think you could, I haven't installed 1.2 yet (waiting to finish a project first).

beamso
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2004, 12:32 AM

Originally posted by itai195:
I believe you can reassign these in the preferences. At least, in 1.1 I think you could, I haven't installed 1.2 yet (waiting to finish a project first).
Thanks! You are absolutely right. It's in the Key Bindings tab of the Preferences. (under Text Key Bindings -> Text Editing)

holygoat
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 28, 2004, 10:15 AM

Finally got it! Advice for anyone in Europe: don't use the European mirror, it's running off a Newton over GSM.

Downloading from the Euro mirror: 4 K/s.
Downloading from USA 1: 422 K/s.

I managed to snag the whole thing from the US in less time than it took to get one package from their Dublin (eircom) mirror, and I'm in the UK!

I haven't tested it out yet though.

Keiretsu
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 28, 2004, 01:04 PM

Finally got it! Advice for anyone in Europe: don't use the European mirror, it's running off a Newton over GSM.

Downloading from the Euro mirror: 4 K/s.
Downloading from USA 1: 422 K/s.

I managed to snag the whole thing from the US in less time than it took to get one package from their Dublin (eircom) mirror, and I'm in the UK!

I haven't tested it out yet though.
I generally use "wget" and just go to an asian mirror when asia sleeps ... at least some usage for time difference ;-)

KraziKid
Dedicated MacNNer
May 2, 2004, 09:59 PM

This download is available to free ADC members. Should I download and install it now, or am I better off waiting until it is in software update?
15 inch MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 7200 RPM 100GB HDD.

Dual 2.5 GHz Power Mac G5, 1 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, ATI Radeon X800XT.

Basilisk
Forum Regular
May 3, 2004, 12:19 AM

Should I download and install it now, or am I better off waiting until it is in software update?
I don't believe its going to be in Software Update... It looks like they're only doing a full-blown devtools installer, no patch version. The new devtools definitely include a lot of new stuff, like the 10.2.8 SDK (instead of 10.2.7) so it may be that the full CD is tbe best and only option.

I myself uninstalled all devtools (using the supplied perl script uninstaller) and reinstalled using the 1.2 CD image.

Alex

KraziKid
Dedicated MacNNer
May 4, 2004, 12:44 AM

Under the release notes, it states that CHUD 3.5 is included, but when I wiped the devtools, and uninstalled CHUD, and then reinstalled using the pkg included with the Xcode 1.2 CD image, if installs CHUD 3.0.0. Has anyone else noticed this? I downloaded the image from the USA 1 mirror if that makes a difference.

arekkusu
Mac Enthusiast
May 4, 2004, 01:53 AM

The CHUD package version number is wrong (3.0) but it actually does install CHUD 3.5 (Shark includes the ISA reference etc.)

If you run the CHUD updater it will grab 3.5 and install it over the 3.5 already there, fixing the package version number.

Scott Tooker (@apple.com) confirmed this on the xcode-users list a while ago.

KraziKid
Dedicated MacNNer
May 4, 2004, 12:13 PM

Originally posted by arekkusu:
The CHUD package version number is wrong (3.0) but it actually does install CHUD 3.5 (Shark includes the ISA reference etc.)

If you run the CHUD updater it will grab 3.5 and install it over the 3.5 already there, fixing the package version number.

Scott Tooker (@apple.com) confirmed this on the xcode-users list a while ago.
Ah, ok. Because when I ran the CHUD updater it also gave the version number 3.0.0, and said it will download 3.5.0. After I installed the dmg it put on the Desktop, it gave me the new version number (3.5.0). So even though as you say it is the correct CHUD version (just wrong number), it seemed to completely reinstall all of the tools.

Thumannator
May 26, 2004, 10:29 PM

I'm just gonna say right up front that I'm an idiot regarding this...

I got all the "pieces" downloaded for XCode 1.2, but... um... what do I do with them? As I said before, I'm an idiot. I've got a free ADC account, and rather kind of new to using XCode, so maybe that's why I don't really know what to do. I got the last update through Software Update, and was actually a little puzzled why this new update didn't come through the same way.

Thanks.

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
May 27, 2004, 02:01 AM

Originally posted by Thumannator:
I'm just gonna say right up front that I'm an idiot regarding this...

I got all the "pieces" downloaded for XCode 1.2, but... um... what do I do with them? As I said before, I'm an idiot. I've got a free ADC account, and rather kind of new to using XCode, so maybe that's why I don't really know what to do. I got the last update through Software Update, and was actually a little puzzled why this new update didn't come through the same way.

Thanks.
Well, if they're all uncompressed, then you double click one of them.

arekkusu
Mac Enthusiast
May 27, 2004, 02:17 AM

If you double-click one, Finder is smart enough to find all the other dmgparts and mount the image.

Or, you can remove '.bin' from the first one, and then use Disk Utility to merge all the dmg parts into one compressed .dmg, which is what I do to keep a backup.

Thumannator
May 27, 2004, 09:20 PM

Okay, double clicking on any of them didn't work, but I took .bin off the first one and the image mounted. Hokey if you ask me, but it worked. Thanks!

steve1341
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2004, 08:38 AM

How does one add an applescript to xCode - With BBEIDT you include it in the scripts folder but there doent seem to be anything similar with xCode. Someone please help. Thanks a bunch

suthercd
Senior User
Jun 12, 2004, 09:56 AM

When you first create your project, select Applescript Application. There are good Applescript Studio tutorials on the Apple Developer's site.

Craig

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2004, 12:39 PM

Place them in either:
~/Library/Application Support/Apple/Developer Tools/Scripts
or
/Library/Application Support/Apple/Developer Tools/Scripts

and they will appear in the scripts menu in Xcode. You can also write Xcode plug-ins using AppleScript. I suggest you read the release notes for more information.

Forum Links
Forum Rules