Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.4.6 Released

10.4.6 Released (Page 2)
Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2006, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
Actually I think the correct term you are looking for with him is jerk ass.
What is that?

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 3, 2006, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Weyland-Yutani
I'm sure, but those are some rather obscure bugs and OS X is affected by far more obvious and irritating bugs that affect all users. Such as Spotlight inconsitancy etc.
Major changes require intensive redesign and testing that are not possible in the timeframe of a point update.

The whole point of bugfix updates is to fix bugs. Every now and then, a bonus feature may be added along with them. But these are bugfix updates. That's the whole point.

tooki

reneannalee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2006, 08:31 PM

wow, the machine started up so mych slower than before the update.

would prefer updates that speed up my machine instead.

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2006, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by riha
wow, the machine started up so mych slower than before the update.
As mentioned this is always the case after the first restart.
"That's okay, I'd like to keep it on manual control for a while."

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2006, 08:35 PM

using it now....
works4me

'nuff said
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

msuper69
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2006, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Horsepoo!!!
Your majesty, I believe Apple is terribly sorry for not bending to your will of adding more features. And Apple feels terrible for offering the update to you for free when they could have *paid* you 40 bucks for you to install it.
LOL! Nice one. And so very appropriate.

Kevin
Baninated
Apr 3, 2006, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
Download from the usual places.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303411

Just a heads up, I installed it on the current gen Dual 2GHz G5. After the install when the computer restarted it went to the usual gray spinning round thing, then just before it went to the progress bar screen it rebooted on its own and repeated the procedure. After that the computer booted normally.

Either this was a fluke or a new feature.
You should really read the info before installing.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2006, 08:54 PM

I'm sure, but those are some rather obscure bugs and OS X is affected by far more obvious and irritating bugs that affect all users. Such as Spotlight inconsitancy etc.

cheers

W-Y
"inconsitancy"?

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2006, 08:57 PM

Wow, Transparent Dock is actually still working after this update. That is the first time in a very long time where I won't have to wait for a patch. Awesome!

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 3, 2006, 08:59 PM

After installing this update... my computer is a whole lot faster but, my phone no longer works and my TV won't turn on. DAMN YOU APPLE!!!

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2006, 08:59 PM

Please tell how this update affected/helped you. I'm all ears. If it adressed one issue you had, then that's pretty good but it sure didn't add any features.

Still, I'm all ears. Can't wait to hear how I am narrow minded and this update was significant to everyone else. In fact, people you're all invited.

Come one come all and tell the class how this updated mattered to you.

cheers

W-Y
You show us that you're narrow-minded by not being able to expand your mind. It fixed a few annoying, but not show-stopper bugs -- Mail's mailbox counts, the SMB folder-copying issue, DU's spitting out of useless permissions information, etc.

Like tooki said, bug fixes are important to the people who are affected by the bugs. Just because you weren't doesn't mean that everyone else is like you.

Now please, sit down.

hldan
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2006, 09:10 PM

Maybe I am posting this too early but so far two things are fixed for me. My X800 GPU's fan was running very rough since the last update, almost sounded like it was broken and there was no fix at ATI's websight. Now it purs like a kitten.
Finally I put my PM G5 dualie 2.3Ghz back on automatic settings and the fan is finally stable. I doesn't race up and down anymore. Nice update, although not like it wasn't Apple's fault why things were funky in the first place.
At this point I'm not complaining.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

msuper69
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2006, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by MartiNZ
I repaired permissions after installing and was pleased to see that the crazy "special permissions" like 32261 are no longer listed - makes the drive look much cleaner to me . I remember reading something to this effect on here a couple of days ago - glad it was true.
Well that should cut down on Internet traffic substantially as the noobs won't be asking what those messages mean on every Mac forum on Earth.

booboo
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2006, 09:21 PM

Presumably Safari was updated - now Version 2.0.3 (417.9.2) - because the hideous brushed metal came back.

Thank **** for Uno . . . .

hldan
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2006, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by booboo
Presumably Safari was updated - now Version 2.0.3 (417.9.2) - because the hideous brushed metal came back.

Thank **** for Uno . . . .

I don't mean to start this brushed metal debate again but Safari looks awesome! The brushed metal makes Safari stand out from the other boring looking browsers. Without it Safari looks like any other ordinary web browser. I have seen Mac computers used on TV and right away I could spot they were using Safari because of the unique metal UI. Safari is unique looking and brings a level of professionalism and class not found in Windows browers or other Mac browsers.
As far as this update to Safari I hope it has helped some of Safari's long standing issues but I'm holding my breath on that until Leopard arrives to kick Vista's ass!
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2006, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Velocity211
Since installing this update, my phone won't sync with iSync anymore (says sync failed)...
Did you follow the instructions regarding phone syncing in the release notes?

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 3, 2006, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Cadaver
Did you follow the instructions regarding phone syncing in the release notes?
No...I was too excited to get the new update that I didn't read anything before I updated my PB. So there is no way to get around this?
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

Butch Hauke
Apr 3, 2006, 09:48 PM

I'm assuming this will break Front Row for those of us who installed it but didn't have "authorized" machines. Can anyone confirm yeah or nay? I won't be installing until tomorrow sometime.

Butch
iMac Aluminum 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo/20"/4GB RAM
iPod touch 16Gb (Black Diamond) in an iSkin touch
AppleTV 40GB / Koss KSC-75

notoriousformula
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2006, 09:58 PM

nvm....
( Last edited by notoriousformula; Apr 3, 2006 at 10:16 PM. )
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz/1.5GB Ram/iSight/160Gb HD/ X1600 128Mb

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Apr 3, 2006, 10:00 PM

10.4.6 adds Nikon D200 and Canon 30D RAW support. It also fixes the Aperture TIFF export EXIF bug.

Not sure if Aperture is faster or not but the photo geeks say it is. I'll have to try when I install 10.4.6 on my iMac.

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 3, 2006, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Butch Hauke
I'm assuming this will break Front Row for those of us who installed it but didn't have "authorized" machines. Can anyone confirm yeah or nay? I won't be installing until tomorrow sometime.

Butch
http://www.andrewescobar.com/archive...eak-front-row/
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

notoriousformula
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2006, 10:17 PM

frontrow still works
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz/1.5GB Ram/iSight/160Gb HD/ X1600 128Mb

discotronic
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2006, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by TheSpaz
After installing this update... my computer is a whole lot faster but, my phone no longer works and my TV won't turn on. DAMN YOU APPLE!!!
Hey Spaz....that caught me off guard a little. Usually you have a complaint but not this time. What happened

SLiMeX
Senior User
Apr 3, 2006, 10:35 PM

Has anyone who is using Camino realized a difference? I'm in the process of downloading it right now, and I'm excited from what I have read.
BlacBook | 2.0ghz core duo | 2x320gb | 2gb ram | mba superdrive

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2006, 11:11 PM

It does not update the ROM on my G5 like suggested. I checked the before and after.

Also all previous ROM updates you don't have to hold down the power button.
"That's okay, I'd like to keep it on manual control for a while."

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2006, 11:16 PM

Anyone catch the "typo" on Apple Downloads?

Mac OS X 10.4.6 Combo for Intel (Universal) — Update
Mac OS X 10.4.6 Combo for PPC — Update
Mac OS X 10.4.6 for PPC (Universal) — Update
Mac OS X Server 10.4.6 (Universal) — Update
Mac OS X Server 10.4.6 Combo (Universal) — Update

Everything but the PPC Combo is Universal it seems
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

Meadowfield
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 3, 2006, 11:33 PM

I'm with Yutani in principal. Give us a bone for the trouble. Hell, a new appearance color, Apple desktop, alert sound, whatever. Sure, the show stoppers should be reserves for the next cat, but in the meanwhile I for one miss the excitement of a restart. Apple seems to have thrown out the fun with the happy face.

himself
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2006, 11:56 PM

What's the deal with the shallow knuckle heads here?

"Duh... if I don't notice anything different, the update must not be that important, duh..."

Just because the changes aren't obvious to you doesn't mean they aren't important, or that they won't improve your Mac's performance in some non-obvious way. If you don't notice a change, then likely there was no harm done. So why continue to complain?
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

Tenacious Dyl
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 4, 2006, 12:07 AM

"This update also addresses an issue with analog sound output through the built-in speakers in MacBook Pros. In the event that a cat approaches the computer, the speakers emit a high-pitched whine, which scares the cat away, and prevents any "failure" of the mag-safe power connection."

SWEET!
yep.

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2006, 12:17 AM

Some folks on ars are reporting that spotlight is much faster. Seems to be the case to me but I haven't used it in so long that I might be misremembering

macintologist
Professional Poster
Apr 4, 2006, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by gperks
Awesome if they really fixed the PAC file problem. I will be *very* happy if that's the case!

Sync'd phone: nobody on forum with terrible news: installation next.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303411

Resolves potential issues that could occur when using automatic proxy configuration (PAC) files.

johnt519
Forum Regular
Apr 4, 2006, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by vasu
anyone with a dual g5 notice if the fan speed bug has been fixed?
That would be no. My Dual 2ghz's (original) fans spin up for just about any reason - deleting a message in Mail, scrolling a web page, looking at it cross-eyed....

They had the problem fixed sometime during 10.3.x, but it broke and has never been fixed.

I've just about given up.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2006, 02:23 AM

Wow, Spotlight is significantly snappier in my opinion. And thank goodness that the update didn't smashify FrontRow (iBook G4).

I don't know about you all, but I never download a 10.4.x update expecting any significant changes. A little more snap here, cleaner there, but it's still Tiger. I guess sometimes having low expectations can be a good thing.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2006, 03:27 AM

I installed the update on my main PowerBook. Everything seems fine up to now, but...

ever since I updated I'm getting this weird forum bug. I'm reading a perfectly sensible thread and from time to time a rant post about how stupid Apple is for releasing this update and about how I don't really need this update because it's useless, etc. gets inserted. Strange part is, it happens with every browser I try. Does anybody know if there's a workaround or a bug fix? Apart from this the new update is working fine.

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2006, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by Simon
I installed the update on my main PowerBook. Everything seems fine up to now, but...

ever since I updated I'm getting this weird forum bug. I'm reading a perfectly sensible thread and from time to time a rant post about how stupid Apple is for releasing this update and about how I don't really need this update because it's useless, etc. gets inserted. Strange part is, it happens with every browser I try. Does anybody know if there's a workaround or a bug fix? Apart from this the new update is working fine.

I've updated my iBook, by the way, and it works fine.

Skeptik
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2006, 05:08 AM

Does it fix the broken help pages on Intel iMacs? ... or even the dodgy mouse tracking, the bad superdrive write speed and the frequently crashing iMovie?

Jonesy
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 4, 2006, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by real
what about a display bug in mail with the smart folders not updating the number of unread messages, requires a deselect and reselect then you get the correct number. not a big bug just really anoying.
I see this behaviour with my main Inbox not just with smart folders. I have sent feedback about it and I hoped they might have fixed it in this update. It is bloody annoying.

threestain
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2006, 06:43 AM

my azureus won't work either...

any fixes yet, or does azureus have to be re-tooled first?

cheers

Louis918
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2006, 08:01 AM

Everything is working fine on my lombard...10.4.6 fixed my wireless network card issues. I was unable to use a belkin F5D7010 V3 with my own airport extreme, but could connect to my neighbors wireless network just fine. Now I can connect to my own network!
Louis
12 PowerBook G4 867mhz Rev.A 640mb, PowerBook G3 Pismo 400mhz 768mb, Mac OS X (10.3.9) PowerBook G3 Lombard 433mhz, 512mb, Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2006, 08:11 AM

FWIW Azureus works ok over here. As I've said, this update changed nothing, for better or worse. Spotlight works at the same speed as before.

@msuper69

English is my third language of six

@Tomchu

Yeah, I read the release notes and I know it fixes some minor bugs, but there are plenty of major bugs that it didn't adress. I'd rather have seen those fixed than some obscure ones.

If the Apple fanboyz tell me I'm narrow minded, then watch me care. I stopped being a zealot a long time ago.

@himself

Placebo effect anyone? It is possible some bugs were fixed that weren't listed and I haven't noticed yet, but I'm not giving Apple the benefit of the doubt since there is no particular indication that this is the case.

Going from the listed bugfixes, they are underwhelming. Features aside, they could have worked on more serious bugs than this.

As I've said before, I'm not bashing Apple, but I am criticizing them. For the price I payed for 10.4 I expect more than half hearted effort to keep this ship afloat. OS X is far far from perfect and after this update it's still on the same square.

Finder bugs, Safari bugs, Spotlight bugs etc have yet to be adressed. I'm hoping for a solid 10.4.7 update, something akin to the 10.4.4 which was very good.

Apple fanboyz calling me or other people who *dare* to criticize the mothership can just go wank themselves

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 4, 2006, 08:58 AM

Yeah, I read the release notes and I know it fixes some minor bugs, but there are plenty of major bugs that it didn't adress. I'd rather have seen those fixed than some obscure ones.
Yeah, we all know Apple does not fix major bugs just to annoy users. They don't spend time nor money on those, for sure, and just put the engineers to work on pity bugs all day. Makes sense.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 4, 2006, 09:02 AM

Finder bugs, Safari bugs, Spotlight bugs etc have yet to be adressed. I'm hoping for a solid 10.4.7 update, something akin to the 10.4.4 which was very good.
What were the improvements that made 10.4.4 so good, in your opinion?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2006, 09:04 AM

For me this update is HUGE. CurvusPro X works again! Under 10.4.3, 10.4.4 and 10.4.5 the program broke. I use this program for my work and it is important to me. I recently put an extra small hard drive into my PowerMac with 10.4.2 on it just to run this program.

So, for someone anyway, this was not a trivial update.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2006, 09:27 AM

Apple fanboyz calling me or other people who *dare* to criticize the mothership can just go wank themselves
Then let me give you some good advice… avoid Mac boards from the country you are currently living on (piel de toro). They would rather ban you instead of trying to argue with you. They are that intelligent…

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2006, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
10.4.6 adds Nikon D200 and Canon 30D RAW support. It also fixes the Aperture TIFF export EXIF bug.

Not sure if Aperture is faster or not but the photo geeks say it is. I'll have to try when I install 10.4.6 on my iMac.
EXCELLENT. I wouldn't characterize Aperture 1.0.1 with 10.4.6 as fast on my iMac G5 2.0, but regardless, it's still a heluvalot faster than 1.0.1 was with 10.4.5.

For me, this is quite a nice update.

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2006, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by eevyl
Yeah, we all know Apple does not fix major bugs just to annoy users. They don't spend time nor money on those, for sure, and just put the engineers to work on pity bugs all day. Makes sense.
I don't agree with that, but I don't think I'm out of line when I rate this update as underwhelming. It's just my opinion and I would *like* to see them adress more obvious bugs or improve OS X in a more obvious way. Makes me feel better

I'm not quite sure what your point is though, so apologies if I didn't adress your point correctly. I'm sure Apple is hard at work with the OS, but I'm also sure they could do better. The Finder is still on life support and nothing more, Spotlight integration in the Finder is still strange (as in search results behave a lot different in Finder windows than normal Finder windows do), Spotlight still has spotty search results and doesn't give the user good control over what is indexed and what is not, Safari still chokes on certain websites and/or displays them wrong (yes, I've submitted bug reports) etc.

Bugfixes for networking, WOW, underpinnings and stuff like that is nice but 10.4 could be so much better. IMO.

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2006, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
What were the improvements that made 10.4.4 so good, in your opinion?
I was particularly pleased with a massive improvement in Spotlight search speed for one thing. I remember I posted very positive things about 10.4.4 in the release thread, I could find it for you if you like. I felt 10.4.4 was the first super-solid release of OS X. Most agreeable!

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2006, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by angelmb
Then let me give you some good advice… avoid Mac boards from the country you are currently living on (piel de toro). They would rather ban you instead of trying to argue with you. They are that intelligent…

Thanks for the advice! (are we talking about Macuarium here?)

They don't ban anyone here for (constructively) criticizing Apple, but the fanboiz really warm up when they hear me critcize Apple.

Somehow all my praises and recommendations are quickly forgotten!

I like Apple, they are and will be for the unforseen future my only provider of computers. They're that good. Perfect, they are not.

P.D. I'm such a fanboy myself that I give more attention to girls who have a Mac than girls with a Wintel. I'm not immune to silly fanboyness

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2006, 10:02 AM

Give it a rest WY, we get your point. However, for some of us, this is an excellent update, and more sigificant than the 10.4.4 update. YMMV.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2006, 10:02 AM

Cool it added support to my w600i phone in iSync.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Forum Links
Forum Rules