Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook arrived - screen detaching

MacBook arrived - screen detaching
Sinemacula
Forum Regular
Aug 14, 2006, 01:05 PM

I was very happy when the FedEx guy arrived bright and early today with my new MacBook. I didn't even wait to have my coffee before opening it up. Imagine my disappointment to find that the screen isn't seated properly in the lid - the edge of the screen is clearly not "sealed" against the lid and pressing around the edges produces movement and an audible "click"

Is this something they'd likely be able to fix at the local Apple Store? Or am I going to have to send it back and wait for a replacement to be shipped? (It's got an HD upgraded, so I'm assuming I can't just get a replacement from the Apple Store.)
MacBook Pro 2.4GHz; 4GB RAM; 23" Cinema Display
iPhone
Mac OS X 10.5.4

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 14, 2006, 02:25 PM

Well there's no reason why you couldn't get a new MacBook from the store and swap your BTO hard drive into the new one, but that might cause problems in sending it back.

LazyRosy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 14, 2006, 02:41 PM

My son had the same issue with his PowerBook and after inspecting it the local Apple store sent it out for repair (took about four days). When you order a custom config online Apple won't allow you to "mix" that with anything from the Apple store, so if you want a replacement, you'll need to send that unit in and wait for the new one to arrive. I had to do that twice...needless to say, the Fed Ex guy was perplexed to be delivering three laptops to my house in one month...he told me I should try HP

Sinemacula  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 14, 2006, 02:47 PM

Yeah, I called Applecare and they told me to take it into the local Apple Store for inspection - it'll either be deemed DOA due to manufacturing defects or sent out for repair. If they decide to call it DOA, then I guess they'll send me a replacement, but it also sounded like I'd have to take care of sending the one I've got back (not sure why they couldn't do that at the store).

Anyhoo... I'm off to the Apple Store now.
iPhone
Mac OS X 10.5.4

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 14, 2006, 02:48 PM

Good Luck

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2006, 03:23 PM

Please do tell how it worked out

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 14, 2006, 04:48 PM

The Apple Store should be able to ship it off for you.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Sinemacula  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 14, 2006, 07:25 PM

The Apple Store "Genius" agreed that the separation was more than "normal" and constituted a manufacturing defect; however, because it was ordered online, CTO with a hard drive upgrade, he could not take it back or exchange it for me at the store. So, I was given another case number and sent home to call Applecare back.

After 15 minutes or so on hold, the Applecare rep. took the details, including the original case #, and the Apple Store case #, and then transfered me to the sales support line. The sales guy confirmed that they would do a straight replacement, and gave me another case number, and told me I'd get an email within 24hrs with instructions on how to send back the MacBook. He also said they'd ship out the replacement at the same time (i.e., I don't have to wait for them to receive this one back).

Although I had to trudge up to the Apple Store and wait half an hour to speak to a Genius, spend a combined total of 20-25 minutes on hold with Applecare and Apple sales, and will have to wait a few more days before I can play with my new MacBook... overall, it was a relatively pleasant experience at least in terms of how Apple's support folks dealt with it - all very polite and helpful.

Let's just hope the replacement goes through a better QA process!
iPhone
Mac OS X 10.5.4

StevenWRX
Forum Regular
Aug 14, 2006, 09:23 PM

sigh... looks like apple's QC is still not up to par. same thing happened to mine, but i returned it since it wasnt CTO.
-Rev. C PowerBook 17" 1.5GHz
-iPod Mini 4gb Silver (Rev. B)
-Gaming Rig: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester, Asus A8N-E, 2 Gig Corsair XMS, nVidia GeForce 7900GT PCI-E, Seagate 320gb Barracuda HDD, Samsung 16X Dual Layer w/ LightScribe, Thermaltake Tsunami, Antec 550W True Power 2.0, Saitek Eclipse Keyboard, Logitech MX518 Gaming Mouse, Samsung 19" 931B.

LazyRosy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 14, 2006, 10:11 PM

Don't expect to receive the new one for awhile (two weeks or so)...the sales rep tells you they will send a new one right away (before even receiving the old one) but that's not how it works. If you check your "new" order online it will at the top state that the new unit won't be scheduled to ship from China until you return the defective one. On the bright side, it's worth the wait

luckyjoe
Aug 15, 2006, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Sinemacula
... overall, it was a relatively pleasant experience at least in terms of how Apple's support folks dealt with it - all very polite and helpful.
You're a very patient/understanding person.

I have a FedEx box from China wating for me at home, and I don't want to go through hoops on this purchase.

What (if any) flexibility do you have with a CTO (BTO?) MacBook? Does it always have to go (return) directly thougth Apple?

Tom P.

Sinemacula  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 15, 2006, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by luckyjoe
What (if any) flexibility do you have with a CTO (BTO?) MacBook? Does it always have to go (return) directly thougth Apple?
The indication I got was that there was no flexibility on the return of the CTO MacBook. The "Genius" told me that he could take back an order made online only if it matched something they kept in stock at the store; so, anything that is in a non-standard configuration (upgraded RAM, upgraded HD, etc.) has to go back to Apple. I even asked whether we could do the exchange at the store if I was willing to take a stock MacBook, and he said that then it would be considered a separate transaction - a return and a new purchase - and that the return part would still have to be to Apple Direct, not the store.

So, now I'm off to FedEx to send the MacBook back.
iPhone
Mac OS X 10.5.4

mhuk01
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2006, 05:49 PM

i have returned my macbook today (it would just not turn on in the mornings, weird!!!!)

they sent me an email yesterday saying they shipped the replacement. Then a few hours later i got a call saying when do i want to send the faulty macbook back.

So they criss-cross the two laptops. At the end of the day if you kept both they'd only charge you!

Sinemacula  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 15, 2006, 07:43 PM

I just checked the online order status system, and it does say the replacement won't ship until they receive the return at the warehouse. Fortunately for me, the warehouse is in California, and so am I - and the replacement shows as being set for "2 day" shipping, so it's possible I could have the replacement by the end of the week.
iPhone
Mac OS X 10.5.4

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2006, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by mhuk01
i have returned my macbook today (it would just not turn on in the mornings, weird!!!!)

they sent me an email yesterday saying they shipped the replacement. Then a few hours later i got a call saying when do i want to send the faulty macbook back.

So they criss-cross the two laptops. At the end of the day if you kept both they'd only charge you!
That makes sense for Apple I guess. I bet they refurbish it.

mhuk01
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2006, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5
That makes sense for Apple I guess. I bet they refurbish it.
it just saves alot of time. I live in the UK though, maybe it's not the same in the US.

Sinemacula  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 16, 2006, 01:50 PM

Just checked the order status of the replacement MacBook - it no longer has the bold red warning that they have to receive the returned MacBook first, but it does indicate that the expected ship date isn't until Friday. Which means I won't have it to set up and play with over the weekend.
iPhone
Mac OS X 10.5.4

Sinemacula  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 22, 2006, 02:13 PM

Replacement arrived yesterday. Looking good so far!
iPhone
Mac OS X 10.5.4

gnomexp
Forum Regular
Aug 23, 2006, 02:48 PM

I get to go through the same trouble, except my screen is scratched a little on the inside of the monitor. I'm just waiting until I have the time to sit down and call someone. >_<

At least I love the computer otherwise.

Forum Links
Forum Rules