Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > 24" iMac Screen Hack

24" iMac Screen Hack
centerchannel68
Baninated
May 6, 2007, 01:52 AM

Okay, my idea is somehow, someway, adding an S-video input to a 24" iMac. Are there any TVs that use the same LCD? Or, is the connector somehow a 'standard' connector that could be soldered to some sort of 'switch' somehow?

bluedog
Mac Elite
May 7, 2007, 09:58 PM

Elgato Systems

Here's your product, then wire it internally to the USB bus (perhaps taking out a single port for its use) or putting in a mini USB hub inside too. Then have it mount to the inside of the unit cutting a panel for the connectors.

I have one of these HybridTV sticks and it is unbelievable for HD. I use an over-the-air signal with only a few true 1080i stations but even the 760 stations are good.

It would be an interesting project to include this and the small plug input that allows for S-Video in or component (I believe). I haven't yet tried the inputs but rather use the tuner to record over-the-air and watch the telly.

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
May 8, 2007, 11:54 AM

lI hear it has lag, which means I can't hook game systems up to it.

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2007, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
lI hear it has lag, which means I can't hook game systems up to it.
Again, this probably isn't happening. Because you're inputting an analog signal, you'd have to put in a analog converter mainboard into your iMac, which is going to take up too much space and generate extra heat, not to mention draw power. This is no where near as simple as just swapping out the LCD.

The EyeTV is basically the same thing that I'm talking about in an external case.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

bluedog
Mac Elite
May 9, 2007, 04:10 PM

While I haven't actually input analog yet with the device. I have heard there is no lag and it simply is passing the video through (and it happens in real-time). If there is a delay they are saying it is not enough to even notice when gaming (less than the screen refresh rate I guess).

hadocon
Mac Elite
May 18, 2007, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by bluedog View Post
While I haven't actually input analog yet with the device. I have heard there is no lag and it simply is passing the video through (and it happens in real-time). If there is a delay they are saying it is not enough to even notice when gaming (less than the screen refresh rate I guess).
WRONG!

There is lag.

Must this same question be flung around for years?
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

psychomonkey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2007, 12:43 AM

There are two basic versions: the more expensive standalone box that processes the video and passes it to the computer (thus creating lag) or the stick USB style device that's less expensive and passes the video onto the computer.

gradient
Mac Elite
May 26, 2007, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by psychomonkey View Post
There are two basic versions: the more expensive standalone box that processes the video and passes it to the computer (thus creating lag) or the stick USB style device that's less expensive and passes the video onto the computer.
Wrong again. There IS lag. I own an EyeTV250 that has a bypass for the hardware encoding that they call "game mode" and is supposed to allow lag-free gameplay. It does not work as advertised - there is very LITTLE lag, granted, but lag does exist. Some people won't notice it and think it is fine, others will notice it and find it unuseable but in either case it does exist. I personally think it makes gaming terrible.

This has been discussed many times on these forums in various threads.

duck
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2007, 02:35 AM

The bat-s**t insane way of doing this would be to get a dell 24 inch LCD, gut it, and put that inside the iMac 24 inch, then make some form of external box that holds everything from the iMac, and bolt that onto the back of the Dell's case..

Or, y'know, you could just use the Dell 24 inch LCD to play your games sometimes, and use it as a second display for your iMac for the rest of the time. I heartily recommend that one ;-) See my work setup here - http://theducks.org/pictures/exceedi...ge-display.jpg

ajprice
Professional Poster
May 29, 2007, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by duck View Post
Or, y'know, you could just use the Dell 24 inch LCD to play your games sometimes, and use it as a second display for your iMac for the rest of the time. I heartily recommend that one ;-) See my work setup here - http://theducks.org/pictures/exceedi...ge-display.jpg
QFT

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
May 29, 2007, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by duck View Post
The bat-s**t insane way of doing this would be to get a dell 24 inch LCD, gut it, and put that inside the iMac 24 inch, then make some form of external box that holds everything from the iMac, and bolt that onto the back of the Dell's case..

If Apple doesn't add an input on the next revision, I may very well do JUST that. And sorry, I don't do dual displays. My current system is my home theater also, and two displays would look horrible.

Forum Links
Forum Rules