Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > What changes (and non-changes) would you like to see in the new iMacs?

What changes (and non-changes) would you like to see in the new iMacs? (Page 2)
centerchannel68
Baninated
May 30, 2007, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
If you're prepared to lose the DVI out, it's doable. You'd just need to add an LCD controller board and forget about the LVDS connection entirely. Alternatively, you might be able to put the switch behind the controller board and keep the DVI out, but it sounds harder. I would much rather have the DVI out though, but I expect that Apple's decision was made based on not having to include a controller board.

If you want to try adding an inport to your iMac (very much at your own risk) there are people who have done it with PC laptops. Might be interesting to see what I mean about the difference between how laptops and desktops work wrt LCDs, and what Apple would have to include in the iMac to make a DVI in work.
That's too much work, and I'm not sure it would work. IMHO, it'd be a better idea to keep my eyes out for a 24" iMac with a broken LCD, buy that, then buy a dell 24" or bigger monitor, and use the factory DVI OUT on the real iMac guts to hook it up to the newer dell monitor. Obviously it'd be way cool to keep an almost identical form factor, and I'm pretty sure I could do it, too, it'd just require making a white 'spacer' to seperate the front and rear halfs of the imac, making it a bit thicker. Who knows. It'd also be cool to say to hell with 24" and just buy a big 32" LCD, but we'll see I guess. All I know is that the Mini just does not cut it for video editing, 3d modeling, or gaming. It's graphics card is just too horrible. The only decent solution for me is either an iMac with a 7600GT, or a macpro, which is completely out of my price range... plus I hate the size of the mac pro. It's huge.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 30, 2007, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
About using VNC to connect another computer to the Mac? Completely. About running VNC on a console? No, that bit was meant as a joke/idle musings.
To connect to another Mac, sure. To use an iMac as your monitor for another Mac and to use VNC to do that... you'd have to be on crack to think that would be an acceptable solution.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 30, 2007, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
To use an iMac as your monitor for another Mac and to use VNC to do that... you'd have to be on crack to think that would be an acceptable solution.
I've read ScreenRecycler (which uses VNC) works quite well actually. I haven't tried it myself yet though.

centerchannel68
Baninated
May 30, 2007, 03:37 PM

It's pretty slow going. I know somebody who uses it. Yuck.

P
May 30, 2007, 05:38 PM

Tidbits had a big piece on using it a while back, I understand it worked well enough. VNC in general depends a lot on the network connection, so Firewire (which runs IP on both OS X and Windows) is probably your best bet. That demo movie is impressive.

Note that many of the VNC clients on the Mac are rather horrible, so don't judge VNC by the performance of CotV. It can be speedy enough.

Sourbook
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 4, 2007, 11:47 AM

( Last edited by Sourbook; Jun 4, 2007 at 11:56 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules